Weekend Bling Report

Options

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I ran the polar opposite of Chicago this weekend!

3pdzyrejqbdp.jpg

(This was the only real flat stretch--for a race with very little *numerical* elevation change, the whole thing was baby rollers.)

I (well aware that this was not a good idea) went out too fast and of course started dancing with the wall around mile 21, but more or less hung in there til the end. I was so, so relieved to see the "finish" banner up ahead...and so, so NOT to see the SHARP UPHILL RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT WTH.

3:28 is a *massive* PR for me, nearly an hour--and an age group BQ with room to spare. Neon shoes really do make you faster! :)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    wjsswd7p0lp2.jpg
    gzme1xysxm2x.jpg

37° and 12-15 mph W wind for the Finish Strong 15K, but there was no rain or snow as seemed possible from earlier weather forecasts. The race organizers saw me doing a warmup about the time they sent the early start off, and mistakenly identified me as an early start; but they came to check with me and corrected that. As a result of that glitch, I don't yet know the exact official time, but it should be in the 1:01:59 to 1:02:02 range, a 15K PR for me by over 2 minutes. Finished 9th overall and first in the M 55-59 age group, in a small field. (Less than 100 runners, but I didn't note the exact number on site and won't know until the results are posted online.) It felt like a good tuneup for my November 1 half marathon.

The medal isn't a pretty as the medals I get for finishing half marathons, but I had to earn this one by outrunning all the other old farts.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ran the Baltimore HM today! No BQ like @cheshirecatastrophe or AG award like @MobyCarp, but I managed a 1:44 on a challenging course after some dumb mistakes on my part this week because I was pretty flippant about running "just" a HM. Oops. But my secondary goal besides wanting to do 1:40 or faster (which I missed, obviously) was to be in the top 10% of finishers. I placed 552/7394 overall, 127/4354 women, and 40/586 women 20-24. So definitely hit that goal! Had I gotten the time I wanted though (1:39-and-change), I'd have been top 10 in my AG! Something to aim for, I guess! :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Surprised myself a bit by shattering my goal at the Columbus marathon this weekend. Original goal was 3:43, which was a BQ with a 2 minute cushion, but I changed that to a 3:42 after seeing the BQ cutoff of BQ-2:28 for 2016. I stuck to my plan of going out with the 3:45 pace group and making up as much ground as I could at the end. Most proud of my quarter splits which were 8:35, 8:30, 8:20 and 7:55. Overall time was 3:38:26! BQ minus 6:34!
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ran a local 10k this weekend, took it slow as I'm coming back from injury but couldn't resist speeding up for the last mile, probably not the best idea as my hamstring is hurting again today. It felt great to be in a race again, just hope I haven't done myself any long term damage by speeding up towards the end. I enjoyed myself so much I've booked another 10k for 2 weeks time and a half for February 2016
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K today was the 10th of 12 races in the Rochester Runner of the Year series. The series is scored on the best 6 results a runner has, so no one has to run all 12 races to compete. This was my 7th RROY race this year. I finished in 19:31 gun time, winning the male 55-59 age group for the race and clinching the age group for the series. The age group medal was a cheap generic thing that didn't say what the medal was for or even what year the race was; but you can't have everything. Clinching the series age group was more important to me than the medal for the race.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Ran my first mid-distance race on 10/18 since my hip flexor injury in early April. Ran the half-marathon at a modest and restrained pace to protect what I've recovered (though I did have a right ankle injury issue from a missed step on a transit bus a few weeks ago). It was cold and on a somewhat hilly course I ran a modest 2:04:45 but came away feeling very good about the effort, the relative ease of my running and the state of my recovery. There is more speed to be had.

I ran a 4K trail race yesterday on 10/24 (the trail is just across the road from where I live and I use it all the time for my shorter weekday runs and as a starter and ending to my longer weekend runs). It has a monster of a hill and three shorter climbs (two at the beginning and one at the very end). I know this trail well enough that I can (and do) run it in the dark (with and without lights, though it is always advisable to have some lighting on you to avoid getting run over in the dark by some cyclist).

My goal was to run it in 20:00 or better. Completed it in 19:33.52 and won the 60-69 male age group. Could have run it faster but I conserved enough on the hills, including the big one to feel good through the entire distance. Most fun was the person who was trying to run me down in the last 100-150 meters and didn't expect me to have such a kick at the end. I could hear their foot falls behind me and to my right as I and they initially accelerated through the final section and the last turn. But they never caught me and in the last 25 meters I was pulling away. Those strides, 400m and 800m repeats were good for something because when I called for power, it was there in a big way.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the BQs and the AG awards!

Earlier this week I jumped on a comp entry to the CGI Perfect 10 Miler (largest women only 10 miler in the US) today. I had just run a surprisingly fast tempo run, so I knew I had a strong finish in me. I figured I would be thrilled if I beat my prior 10k PR pace, 8:42. Instead, I hit 8:35 for a 1:25:51 finish! That was a PR by three minutes. I have been training for the Philly Half Marathon as my A race this season and there are still five weeks left so I am feeling fantastic. I went out with the 8:30 pacer figuring I would see how I felt. She didn't go out fast like they often do, so it was a great strong start for me. I stayed with her for three miles then let myself slow down a bit at a water stop. I realized I forgot my Garmin when I got to the starting line, so I set Strava to announce my splits every half mile. It worked just fine - I actually might prefer it, in combination with a pacer.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @MobyCarp Congrats on the AG award! That's an excellent time!

@STrooper Congrats on your AG award as well! Glad those strides and repeats served you well!

@sarahz5 Congrats on the PR! That's a great pace for a 10 miler! You'll crush your A-race in Philly!

So many great races run this weekend! Great job, all!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks late in reporting but I did the Tyler Texas Rose Half-marathon on October 11th. My son ran the full marathon. HARDEST course I've ever done. Hills hills and more hills. I was told if you can do Tyler you can do just about any course out there. I feel good about my time, only 15 minutes longer than my average time. I'm a "slow" runner and finished in just over 3 hours but right in the middle of my age group.

Take aways from the race:
    Always look at the race profile BEFORE registering. lol
    I know to prep better for hills though, my calves cramped up at mile 11 and it was painful finishing.
    Small races are a totally different type of race. We had about 1000 people total in Tyler between the two races. Many of the races I'm used to running have 20,000 or more people running. Large races allow you to hide but small races give you room to set your pace earlier.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Good Life Halfsy, Lincoln, Nebraska:
    h4piu5bw36u1.jpg

Ran a PR 1:28:49.4 net time, 1:28:52.9 gun time in near perfect weather on a net downhill course. Initial results had me 3rd in the male 55-59 age group, final results had me 4th. I think what happened was that the system somehow got wrong ages on people, but this got fixed before final results. Initial results show me as age 58; final show me correctly as 59. The guy who showed up ahead of me is age 55 in final results, and I'm guessing they incorrectly had him as 54 initially.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    My race report from last Saturday at the Huntsville (AL) Half Marathon. http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-27th-huntsville-half-marathon-race.html
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Ozark Trail 100 on Nov 7, 27:44!!
  • kristinegift
    Options
    Philadelphia Marathon: 4:02:32.
    A far cry from the 3:32 I was looking for, but I overstretched my hamstring two weeks ago and hadn't done any long runs on it since. Turns out, it was not as race ready as I hoped, and overcompensating for the hamstring resulted in 10 straight miles of leg cramps (and those can really slow a person down!). Happy to have even finished, and looking to try for a BQ again in May.

Meanwhile, the medal is amazing. It's a Liberty Bell in the middle that actually dings. The finisher's village sounded like it was full of Christmas elves :)

i6hi29uugi6c.png
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Not a weekend, as my 10K was on Thanksgiving Day. No bling, because a couple faster guys showed up and 2nd in the age group (because one of them took 1st Veteran) was only worth a gift certificate I won't use. But it was a lot of fun. Finished 53rd out of 1121, in 40:53. The highlight was when I caught up to Santa and the Turkey along about 3 miles in. There were a lot of runners who finished behind the fast man in the red suit, but I finished ahead of him.
  • STrooper
    Options
    @kristinegift: Still not a time to sneeze at. Running while injured can be tough (i did it with a hurt hip flexor and it slowed me by about 30 minutes). Rest, recover, and get back to it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Finally broke the 20 minute barrier in a 5k and came in 1st in my AG for our local Turkey Trot (24 in my AG, 700 total participants) with a new PR of 19:43. Of course, some of that was luck as I would have been 4th if I was one AG up or down...
  • STrooper
    Options
    Finally broke the 20 minute barrier in a 5k and came in 1st in my AG for our local Turkey Trot (24 in my AG, 700 total participants) with a new PR of 19:43. Of course, some of that was luck as I would have been 4th if I was one AG up or down...

You can't control the luck of the draw on how your age group will shake out. Congrats on the new PR and the sub-20.
  • kristinegift
    Options

That is an amazing time! Congrats on breaking the 20 minute barrier!
    STrooper wrote: »
    @kristinegift: Still not a time to sneeze at. Running while injured can be tough (i did it with a hurt hip flexor and it slowed me by about 30 minutes). Rest, recover, and get back to it.

Rest and recover and get revenge! That is the plan! :)
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't reported in awhile, but have had a decent few months of racing. I did the local Thanksgiving 10K even though I am still struggling with a stress fracture in my fibula. I hadn't ran since my marathon on Nov. 1. Thanksgiving 10k time was 40:11 which was good enough for 5th overall out of 7200+ women.

I did NYC marathon on Nov. 1 despite being injured. My leg held up decently for 18 miles and then the pain got the better of me and my paced slowed a lot. Finished in 3:19 and some change. It isn't a horrible time, but I was disappointed.

I ran a local half marathon Oct. 17. This was just a tune up for my marathon since I hadn't been running much and not doing long runs. I PR'd with a 1:26 and won overall female.

I did a 5k with my family on my birthday at the end of September. That was their gift to me. I set a 5k PR and won overall female with a time of 18:56. The male winner and I ran together the entire race and overtook me at the very end. He beat me by 6 seconds!