Weird Question-WARNING, may be TMI

Options
So, I am on day 3 of Keto and I have not used the bathroom in 2 days! I know this diet will cut down on the need to go, but 2 days? I know I'm getting plenty of water a day and I have been eating a salad every day, as well as asparagus for lunch yesterday. The only other thing I can think is that I'm low on potassium? I'm looking into getting a supplement for that. Any ideas?

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    So, I am on day 3 of Keto and I have not used the bathroom in 2 days! I know this diet will cut down on the need to go, but 2 days? I know I'm getting plenty of water a day and I have been eating a salad every day, as well as asparagus for lunch yesterday. The only other thing I can think is that I'm low on potassium? I'm looking into getting a supplement for that. Any ideas?

Magnesium will help with bathroom issues. I wouldn't be too concerned about not having a BM in 2 days, but it really depends how you are feeling? Do you feel stopped up? If yes, I'd get a bottle of natural calm and take a couple tbsp in water. It'll help, but make sure you are near a bathroom. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Ugh, seriously, just typed out a whole response - and it disappeared instead of posting!

Short story - some folks go once a week. If you're not in pain or limited from normal activity, be patient and AVOID laxatives - they stop your normal from recalibrating.

Coconut oil, coffee, upping your fats, natural calm/magnesium, caffeine, walking all help...if your bowels are ready.

You're eating less food and more nutrient dense food, so it takes a slower track through your tract to extract maximum nutrition. This could be your new normal schedule...
  • kayceekay01
    kayceekay01 Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thank you guys for the responses! I also mean to include that I take a magnesium supplement every day. I was doing this prior to starting Keto. You think maybe I'm not taking enough? I take one 250mg pill a day. Also, I don't really feel any different or "stopped up" as you put it :D but I also suffer from IBS and I find it crazy to go 2 days without using the restroom. HA!
  • kayceekay01
    Options
    Also, off topic but is it normal to feel cold on this diet? I only notice because I am usually a hot natured person so being cold is another new one for me! lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Anything wacky and out of the ordinary is very likely an effect! Too many to list, really...

I don't have a gallbladder, so I normally "go" several times a day, usually once for every 2-3 times I urinate. Going once a week would probably traumatize me! LOL Adding Kombucha really helped balance out my differences between way too loose and being blocked up...
  • kayceekay01
    Options
    I definitely have a lot to learn in the new foods department as well. I have never heard of Kombucha lol. There are lots of new words I'm discovering while researching this diet. I am happy to say that one word that I can still say and not hide from is BACON. I am a girl who loves her bacon, so this diet and I are made to be best friends. B)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Kombucha is a naturally fermented tea. It has the good bacteria, like what is in probiotics. It helps your gut be its best and process best. Our immune system and overall health stem from from our gut. It has a little sugars in it, but not too much. Kind of like the good stuff in yogurt, but on steroids. If you do get brave and try it, start slow - no more than 2-4 oz at first!

And we low carbers - ketoers talk about all kinds of wacky foods, no doubt!
  • knackeredat34
    knackeredat34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I changed from being an every morning type of girl, to every 2-3 days, if you feel fine otherwise i don't think it's anything to worry about, less fibre, less bulk.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have gone up to a week, and felt no distress. I have learned here that with this woe our bodies actually use much more of the food (BACON YEA!), rather than the excess waste of a high carb diet, therefore we can see less output (so to speak). I'm sure you will see improvements that you never imagined with your ibs too! So don't sweat the decrease in bathroom breaks. I'm excited to watch your progress!
  • sophieperla
    sophieperla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Get some probiotics from the refrigerator on a healthfood store. I personally don't like it when I don't go every day, I get headaches and BO when that happen ( just my experience) I also agree with the poster that told you to increase your magnesium. Try some sour croud or kimchee too. Best of luck.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I changed from being an every morning type of girl, to every 2-3 days.

I had the exact opposite happen. Prior to going keto, for me it was once every 2 -3 days. After going Keto, now I have a BM at least once a day sometimes more.

• felicianicolemfp
    felicianicolemfp Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I go about 4 times a day. So I'm excited for it to cut down some