Fast food suggestion?

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
we are going out of town for the weekend and will be eating fast food mostly during breakfast and lunch this being my first time eating out in the 5 weeks since starting this WOE I'm at a loss if there are any places that accommodate low carb in the U.S.? Thanks for the help

Replies

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Johns Unwich Sandwiches are a Low Carb option. Most fast food (Hardee's, McD's for sure) will lettuce wrap burgers these days. Almost all FF places offer side salads as an alternative to fries now. Or just buy any given sandwich and uncarb it yourself (remove bun). Watch out for breaded items (chicken/fish). It takes some doing, but there are options and most places will accommodate special requests.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know Hardees gladly offers to put any of their burgers in a lettuce wrap for you. I've also quite easily ordered burgers without bread at quite a few places when I've been on some road trips. As for breakfasts, again, I'll usually just order a breakfast sandwich without bread or just order sausage/eggs as a side. But I've noticed when I track, the carb counts on fast food is higher than if you made burgers or eggs at home...just f.y.i. :)
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Arby's roast beef minus the bun. Zero carbs and delicious!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Breakfast- I ask for those McD's round eggs that they put in Egg McMuffins.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Wow didn't know Hardee's and mc d would put in a lettuce wrap!! Do you just order it that way and ask for a side salad too? Is the burger enough? I would think mc d wouldn't be with their small patties
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Any kind of sandwich with no bread (grilled, not breaded or crispy coated chicken or fish). Breakfast sammiches with the egg, cheese, meat (without the muffin or bagel). Salads with chicken. (Wendy's is my favorite). You might be better off stopping in to a family type diner for breakfasts and get an omelet and bacon or sausage. It is probably a bigger serving and less expensive than a couple of fast food breakfast sandwiches.

Or bring the stuff to make bullet proof coffee for breakfast. I don't drink these but many people report it is all they need in the morning and keeps them full until lunch.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I always travel with my bulletproof coffee makings.
    As far as the bunless burger and salad being enough, I add mayo to the burger to add fat and make sure you get the full fat dressing for the salad. I also try to get double cheeseburgers with bacon if it's an option. I feel pretty full from it.
    Don't forget the pickles! ;)
  • pjwoodhouse
    pjwoodhouse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I second Jimmy Johns unwich - they also have delicious whole pickles as a side. (They will cut them into wedges for you) We have El Pollo Loco here - citrus grilled chicken which is zero carb and sooo good. But I think they are only in the west. Any grilled chicken would probably be pretty low in carbs though.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    mc d would put in a lettuce wrap!!

In-N-Out and Carl's Jr. also do the lettuce wrap / protein style thing too. It is also possible to get any "sub" from subway as a salad - that is, they lose the bun and just put the contents of the sandwich into a bowl with lettuce, cheese, salad dressing, etc. If you can, do try to take pack some easy handy healthy snacks for yourself: cheese sticks, pepperoni / salami / jerky or other kinds of lunch meat; nuts, seeds, pork rinds. If you are taking a cooler bring: heavy whipping cream, low-carb yogurt, full fat salad dressing and maybe a few cut up dippable veggies, etc.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I second, and third, all recommendations here. Fast food can be one of the easiest to eat when you need to. Most places are beginning to get used to the bunless requests. The double cheeseburgers have been plenty to eat, for me. I will say that the subway subs without bread are the better option, instead of ordering a salad imo. The amount of filling on a sandwich is greater than what they put in a salad. I don't want that much lettuce, tomatoes...so prefer the greater amount of meat and cheese. The foot long is a lot. They put it in the same bowls as the salad. I get weird looks, but don't care one bit! Good luck! :smiley:
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a clue.....haven't had fast food in too many years, can't even remember when....

I think I'd rather bring my own food in a cooler, or fast at least until supper.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot having motels both with & without kitchens & also large groups at an airport where a chef cooks for over 50 people in a dining hall situation. So in all I don't have control cooking for myself about 30% of my month (which is a large amount of time).
    Since focusing on my WOE and logging (that's the trick that is helping me) I have needed to adjust nearly every meal to make it LCHF. But I have not had one meal where no one helps me. Everyone has been supportive especially when I say I'm not going to wreck all the hard work to loose 22kg (48lb) in 18 weeks.
    So it can be done with FF, but only with me being in control.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I always get double cheeseburgers from mick D's and lose the bun, add mayo for fat and your good to go.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Today for lunch I had a Double Mozza burger from A&w wrapped in lettuce and no tomato. 2g of carbs and mmm mmm good!
  • mrron2u
    Options
    Wow didn't know Hardee's and mc d would put in a lettuce wrap!! Do you just order it that way and ask for a side salad too? Is the burger enough? I would think mc d wouldn't be with their small patties
    At Hardee's just say you want your burger low carb style and they will lettuce wrap it. And add mayo and bacon and that will fill ya up! Hardee's also does a low carb breakfast bowl.

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    KFC - grilled chicken. I get 2 sides of coleslaw rather than the biscuit. Yummy!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I feel hungry now....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    KFC - grilled chicken. I get 2 sides of coleslaw rather than the biscuit. Yummy!

I thought the coleslaw had sugar in it. I love their slaw but I've been skipping it for this reason. Am I wrong? Would be great to have it sometimes.
  • mrron2u
    Options
    I used to do the KFC coleslaw too, but it has 19 carbs per serving. I switched to their green beans.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    I used to do the KFC coleslaw too, but it has 19 carbs per serving. I switched to their green beans.

Ok too much for my personal carb goal. Certainly could work for other low carb levels though. I got excited for a minute that I may have been wrong before. Lol