2016 and beyond goals

daj150
daj150 Posts: 815 Member
So, first question to everyone...anyone know some good sprint or olympic distance triathlons near Philadelphia (other than TriRock)? I am trying to avoid traveling too far to keep down costs for my big 2017 races.

Next...my plans. For me, 2016 is going to be a rebuilding year, as I got severely injured at the beginning of this year from a stress fracture and couldn't race at all. I will be finally doing the RnR Philly Half Marathon in a couple weeks. Anyway, other than RnR DC Marathon in March, I am looking to do 1-2 Olympic distance tri's, and 1 or 2 sprint tri's. Aside from this, I want to get a century ride in. My main focus though is strength and weight loss...all in prep for 2017.

January 2017, the Disney Dopey Challenge. On the fence on which IM to do (will be my first ever IM full distance), but planning on IMLP (Ironman Lake Placid). I have also thought about IM Maryland. Anyone have any preferences on 1 or the other? Other than these 2 massive undertakings, I will probably do a couple Oly and Sprint tri's, and definitely some running races.

What is everyone else planning?

Replies

• HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Mid Atlantic Tris: NJ, Black Bear, Nations (although that can be a madhouse, I'd say not worth the cost, but it's a great location), Columbia MD tri (it's good), I'm sure there is one in Philly, no? there is also one in Asbury Park...ocean swim (not flat) and flat roads, I thought there was one in Cape May or Atlantic City (I'm sure someone from the group has done something there). There are a ton through the VA/MD Triathlon Series. You want challenging? SavageMan has an Oly...I've done it 4 times, I've done the half as a relay and after doing a test ride backed out of the velo of the aqua velo this year (I just wasn't ready), next year I'm in for the aquavelo for sure.

RnR DC is good, the first half gets your through the better/fun parts of town, the second half can be less exciting (view wise).

As for the IM: they are two very different courses. One hilly one very flat (and so very flat...and windy...and flat and windy), pick depending on your strengths. LP is classic.

___
    For me: just signed up for IMLouisville 2016. To prepare I'm looking at:
    Garret County Grand Fondo (SavageMan area)
    Air Force Classic in the spring (bike ride),
    Swim 4 Life (Chester River in Chestertown MD, it's a fantastic small swim race of 1-5 mile options plus 2.4)
    maybe Kinetic at Lake Anna,
    half IM in Iceland in August,
    Iceland Marathon (they are back to back weekends) - this is a maybe, depending on who goes and if DH and I both want to race (someone needs to watch the kids!)
    SavageMan Aquavelo
    IMLou.

to keep cost down we camp, Savage, Lake Anna, we even camped for EagleMan.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2015
    I've never competed in IMLP, but I've done most of the course - it's challenging, but pretty spectacular (IMO).

2015 was a tough year for me, on all accounts, so I'm regrouping and hoping for a better 2016. Scheduling looks better this year, so if I can have a good "off"-season, then next summer should be a good one. I'm looking at a couple of running races, probably IM Syracuse 70.3, a couple of olys, and hopefully an xterra. Might throw in a Spartan race, too, but we'll see. I'd love to do a tri with an ocean swim, but that will require travel, which complicates things.
  • daj150
    HillOE wrote: »
    Iceland Marathon (they are back to back weekends) - this is a maybe, depending on who goes and if DH and I both want to race (someone needs to watch the kids!)

Oh man that would be so fun...I hope you go...very jealous at the thought, hah. And yes, Philly has RnR Philly which is both Oly and Sprint...but I do them every year (except this year since I was injured). In regards to IMLP and IMMD, my concern isn't flat vs hills....I have done a full flat HIM before and my entire area I live and bike around is nothing but huge hills. I am more interested in the experience...and my issue with both is that I hate doing laps...LP is 2 laps of each, and MD is 2 laps swim and bike, and 3 laps run. So, as long as I will get good scenery and cheering, then I'm sold. I had a HIM that was 2 laps of each...and the scenery was the same the entire time...it added a level of mental challenge I did not like at all.

• HillOE
    LP would be my choice based on what you just posted. Check out both of the IM FB pages and read what people have to say about them, they approve everyone even though they are closed groups. I've done EagleMan and the IMMD bike course...it's bland (sorry MD people). The run course is different than Eagleman and you go through the town...I don't know...LP for sure if you're not worried about hills.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    daj150 wrote: »

Oh man that would be so fun...I hope you go...very jealous at the thought, hah.

x2

My tri club is doing Challenge St Andrews. I have put off signing up for the HIM distance with them. I really want to but I've been really struggling with training since my last one. And on top of that, I'm back to work so that is an added challenge. So undecided although I would really like to do another HIM and it would be fun to do the group thing.

I will do a few local sprint/oly distance for sure. I've already signed up for a race weekend 5k Friday night/HM the next morning.

I'm debating training for the World Police and Fire Games for 2017. They have an Oly distance triathlon. They will be in Montreal, which is close enough to travel to.
  • HillOE
    Oh, the WPFG was in Fairfax, VA this year! My coworker vol'ed for it.

Having goals is the best way to stay focused with training! That being said I have a race this weekend and basically did a Couch to IM in 3 weeks training plan (I'm only doing the aqua velo, but still the training wasn't exactly on point this year).

Iceland - the key word here is ICE...ie: neoprene cap, booties, full wetsuit. Maybe the lake with be a hot spring, but I doubt it.
  • daj150
    Iceland - the key word here is ICE...ie: neoprene cap, booties, full wetsuit. Maybe the lake with be a hot spring, but I doubt it.

Then you can "cool off" during the bike ride...wait a sec... :p
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    rev3 is back for 2016, and they have a poconos race that has both olympic and 70.3 distances, in mid-august.

my triathlon race schedule is going to have to wait until my club decides what races it wants to put as "club races." i don't think i'll be doing too many triathlons, maybe one sprint and one olympic distance. my hope is to do a lot of running races to attempt to qualify for the 2017 nyc marathon.
  • jacksonpt
    rev3 is back for 2016, and they have a poconos race that has both olympic and 70.3 distances, in mid-august.

MR-BURNS-EXCELLENT-1.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

my triathlon race schedule is going to have to wait until my club decides what races it wants to put as "club races." i don't think i'll be doing too many triathlons, maybe one sprint and one olympic distance. my hope is to do a lot of running races to attempt to qualify for the 2017 nyc marathon.

@Capt_Apollo - what is up with that anyway? I did a former Rev3, now Challenge, now going back to Rev3 next year race.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited October 2015

@Capt_Apollo - what is up with that anyway? I did a former Rev3, now Challenge, now going back to Rev3 next year race.

your guess is as good as mine. I never did a Rev3 race, but i did Challenge Quassy and thought it was great, and others have told me that it was just as good as last years Rev3.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Challenge is pulling out of North America for the most part. There were lots of fiscal and cultural issues between the home (Euro) office for Challenge and the Rev3 boots on the ground in the US. They just decided it wasn't going to work.

As to IMLP and IMMD. You couldn't choose 2 more different races. It should be an easy choice based on do you want a flat, some might say boring course (IMMD) or a hilly and some would say more difficult course (IMLP). Both are challenging in different ways.

My 2016 is going to be dominated by seeing how fast I can get at 70.3s. Galveston, Augusta, and a local 70.3 (Oilman) on the schedule along with all the fun local sprint/oly racing during the summer.
  • emb369
    emb369 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm going to be Oceanside 70.3 and Louisville with possibly Coeur D'Alene 70.3 in between. Unsure what else...
  • jacksonpt
    Tentative schedule....

Forks XV (local 15k) - March 26
    Toughman Tupper Lake Tinman Oly - June 25
    Boilermake (15k) - July 10
    Rev3 Poconos Oly - Aug 7
    Xterra Syracuse - Aug 13
    IM 70.3 Atlantic City - Sept 18

Not crazy about the Rev 3 and Xterra being on consecutive weekends, but Rev3 is only an oly, and the Xterra is local, so I should be ok.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    I am from the Philly area (Downingtown actually).

Check out Steelman. They have a Sprint and an Olympic at Nockamixon. Early August. I believe it's on the 14th this year?

Rev3 Pocono is an absolute MUST if you are in the area. Oly and Half options

I will be at both of those.

Also for early season you have a couple fun options. Bassman in NJ is great.

As for my schedule - I have a personal connection to the Rev3 guys so I am doing a bunch of their races.

Likely Knoxville, maybe Quassy, Pocono, and Maine. Whether I race Half or Oly at those races remains to be seen, or I might just be there to help them out. Dunno.

As for big races, looking at doing two full IMs and I haven't entirely decided which ones yet. Possibilities include IM Texas in May (hot, ick), and maybe Ironman Maryland in October. The idea being to attempt to qualify for Kona at the later race. Not sure there are any early season fulls I can do other than Texas. Coeur d'Alene used to be in June which would have been perfect but they moved that to August. Also Challenge Atlantic City, which I did the past two years, is sadly gone.
  • glevinso

Rev3 and Challenge entered into a partnership that didn't work out. The Challenge races in this country (with a few exceptions) were all Rev3 races under the surface. Same people, same equipment, same everything except a logo. They broke the partnership and are going back to the Rev3 name.
  • jacksonpt
    glevinso wrote: »
    Not sure there are any early season fulls I can do other than Texas. Coeur d'Alene used to be in June which would have been perfect but they moved that to August. Also Challenge Atlantic City, which I did the past two years, is sadly gone.

Lake Placid is in June, IIRC.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited October 2015
    For olys, I always hear rave reviews about NJ State Tri and Tri AC. Neither is an ocean swim - first lake, second bay.

I think I have decided to train my swim harder this winter and see if I can get just a bit faster and more confident, and shake the race swim anxiety I seem to get every time, so I can do my first oly at Tri AC. If I don't make as much progress as I hope I think I will sign up for the Shoreman Quarterman - ends up being heavier on the bike with just a .6 swim. All my people are going crazy for AC 70.3 because they love Delmo and it's the return of the NJ half we thought we had lost... but I am definitely not anywhere close to taking that plunge.

Lake Placid is in July, at least it was this year. Late-ish July.
  • glevinso
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Not sure there are any early season fulls I can do other than Texas. Coeur d'Alene used to be in June which would have been perfect but they moved that to August. Also Challenge Atlantic City, which I did the past two years, is sadly gone.

Lake Placid is in June, IIRC.

Placid is July and sold out at the moment (well, can pay double for a foundation slot). Still I might drop the coin. I don't know yet. Rumormill indicates today is a new full distance announcement. If it is anywhere within a day's drive of PA, and in the spring, my credit card is coming out.
  • glevinso
    FWIW, I did "Challenge AC" both years, both fulls. Great race. Delmo rocks as a race director and he will knock IMAC70.3 out of the park. I am not interested in that race myself for strategic reasons, but if I were looking for a fall Half, I would be going there.