Losing BEFORE Surgery

Options
ok...found out that I'm too heavy for a safe bypass. The surgeon told me that I have to lose 60lbs before a surgery date could be set. It was a horrible realization to have halfway through the informational meeting.

So the journey began...

Insurance requires a 6mo medically supervised diet, so I accepted that I could lose 10lbs a month. After losing 10lbs, I had my first appointments (medical screening, bloodwork, upper GI, X-rays, meet surgeon, and meet with dietitians). I was Sooo happy to be 10lbs AHEAD of the game. During this meeting, the surgeon asked that I lose an additional 60 (note:that takes me to 70 total before I can even have surgery!!). I was in full blown panic mode before I met with the dietician. During that appointment, they said that this counted as month #1!!! Aghhhhh. Now I have 60 more lbs to lost in 5 months?!?!?!

Cue full blown panic...did I mention that I quit smoking that week as well AGHHHHH

2 months in...not losing that fast

Month 3, switched to full Advocare diet mode. Pounds start falling off! I reached a total loss of 47lbs! Then I hit a plateau. Now I have 23lbs to lose in 6 weeks! Any advice?

I'd love to connect with anyone going through a similar journey!

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    There's really not much you can do except keep trying. At worst, you push off your surgery date a month or two. I know the delay isn't what you'd planned, but safe is better. You'll lose plenty fast afterwards. Right now, concentrate on learning good habits, breaking the bad ones, and getting your mental game in top shape. The weight will happen. If it happens on time, great. If it takes longer, that's longer you can practice your new life skills.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks 2Poufs! I need a little optimism! That is a good way to look at it. As it gets closer and closer, it continues to amaze me how much of the process is psychological!
  • ki4eld
    Options
    I had RNY in January and I can safely say that for me, the mental game is at least 75% of it.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You've got this, @angiemollison308. I agree with 2Poufs - you may have to delay, but it's important to make sure first and foremost that this procedure is SAFE for you. The fact you're so drive to lose this weight says that you have the mental stamina to make it happen. Just don't give up and keep plugging away.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Check out reddit.com/r/keto
    It really is the fastest way to shed weight in a safe manner. Plan on drinking a protein shake (or 2) per day. Eliminate the carbs.
    You can do this!
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! I appreciate your help and support! Safety is definitely my number one focus, followed by mental and emotional preparations. I've never had a surgery of any kind, so I also have a healthy fear level.

I'm also gonna try to mix up my exercise routine a bit. Time to close the pool for the year, so goodbye to swimming. Hello walking and aerobics!
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can do it! 47 lbs is awesome. My surgeons office wanted me to lose 60-80 lbs before my surgery (I'm at 60 now). I did it with low carb/low fat - which has really helped me not be hungry and controlled my crazy out of control sweet tooth in a way I didn't know possible. I'm looking to get bypass in Jan (hopefully will qualify in Nov but then gonna wait till after holidays so hubs can stay home and help me for a week or two).
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    Yay that's awesome!! Great job creepykbear!! What an amazing accomplishment. My hubby isn't able to take time off (new job), so I'm planning on staying with my parents to recover! Yay two weeks of being babied! It's amazing having parents who are professional caregivers. That will definitely make my recovery easier to tolerate!
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    Yesterday was my final dietician appointment. I met my goal! 70 lbs down! I'm now at a safe BMI for surgery (based on my surgeon's requirements). I can't believe that I made it! Now I'm just waiting to be notified when they submit to insurance and when insurance approves me!
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That is such a great accomplishment! Way to go!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC!!! Angie you are going to do so great - hoping your insurance comes through quickly!
  • klingerman73
    klingerman73 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great Job!! Your hard work WILL pay off!! You got this!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job! Hope the rest of the process goes quickly for you!
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have done a wonderful job!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You did it Congrats! I am also waiting for my final insurance approval. Our surgery dates may be close together! Lets hope it goes smoothly and quickly for the both of us.
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I read about the parts of your lives that you all have shared, and your openness and kindness have inspired me and keep me moving forward. I appreciate all of the words of encouragement and for allowing me to peek into your successes, learnings, struggles, and occasional rants! You all make me more prepared and comfortable with my decision and my future. Tons of love and support for all of you!!!
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    All scheduled!!! Insurance approved me in only 2 days! Nicotine screening came back early! I received a call this afternoon letting me know that my surgery is going to be 11/16! That is Sooo super soooon! Started liquid diet at that second. I'm so super crazy nervous, excited, terrified, proud, and overwhelmed! I am happy that I don't have too much time to get even crazier! Hahahaha
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting your surgery date! Thats my wedding anniversary day lol. I am a week from you and I get to start my liquids on the 16th. You are right it gives you a little less time to go crazy! I hope the time flies by for you and I will be thinking of you on the 16th.
  • ki4eld
    Options
    All scheduled!!! Insurance approved me in only 2 days! Nicotine screening came back early! I received a call this afternoon letting me know that my surgery is going to be 11/16! That is Sooo super soooon! Started liquid diet at that second. I'm so super crazy nervous, excited, terrified, proud, and overwhelmed! I am happy that I don't have too much time to get even crazier! Hahahaha

Congrats honey! You'll do just great. Just trust the process, even when you want to scream!
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery date. I know you will do great!