I Have a "Gut" Feeling...

Options
2»

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I know for one thing I can lose weight much better when I'm at the cottage. I live off the grid out there. No water, no hydro no easy heat. So pretty much back in time You want a good day You get up have a coffee. Light your stove then fill the wood box. Haul water for whatever even to flush toilet if you don't want to use the out house. And i'm fortunate to have a lake not far. So I can some how relate to the why our ancestors were not overweight.

See you Lighter.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are a very "gray" area in terms of proven cause & effect...the color gray is always interesting & controversial.
    I will say there are no detrimental adverse drug reactions other than say diarrhea or increased BM frequency.
    Because of such, I have no opposition on recommending or deterring people from using...(sigh) always blame things on drugs
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ben Greenfield tweeted out a study today that found that whether you do better on a low carb or high carb diet may have a genetic component (sorry I don't have a link). I think gut microbiota has an effect, but the genetics and lifestyle factors probably have a large impact as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Probiotics are a very "gray" area in terms of proven cause & effect...the color gray is always interesting & controversial.
    I will say there are no detrimental adverse drug reactions other than say diarrhea or increased BM frequency.
    Because of such, I have no opposition on recommending or deterring people from using...(sigh) always blame things on drugs

Actually, adding Kombucha has had quite the opposite effect on me. Having no gallbladder, I tended to alternate between BM that were way way too loose and bile/acidic or way way too hard and difficult to pass.

Since I have added the Kombucha daily, my stools have become firm, consistently, but easier to pass. I still have that the occasional loose reaction to foods (vinegar and coconut oil do not like each other in my digestive tract), maybe 2-3 times in 2 months.

I didn't seem to notice any major reactions from the sauerkraut, but it was heated.

Recently, I've finally had some of my own home-brewed Kombucha finally be fermented and flavored and ready to drink, and it is so much more noticeable and better tasting and all, than the store brand stuff I was drinking that's pretty good...

I strongly recommend anyone try it for a week, but start slowly, and understand that it's an acquired taste... Myself, I'm in love with it - while my fiance cannot stand even the smell of it! lol
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I've had to take 5 doses of anitbiotics this year, and every single time I take them I don't lose weight and feel like crap.

There is also things to factor in such as how you were born (c-section birthed babies don't get a much needed dose of bacteria from mum on the way out), how you were fed as a baby (breast milk versus formula, how early you were weaned onto solids, the cells in your gut remain spaced widely until about 6 months of age), all sorts of interesting stuff that I think changes how your gut works. Some it's too late to fix, I guess, I don't exactly want to go back to my mum and ask for some of her vaginal secretions (I was born by c-section).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I've had to take 5 doses of anitbiotics this year, and every single time I take them I don't lose weight and feel like crap.

There is also things to factor in such as how you were born (c-section birthed babies don't get a much needed dose of bacteria from mum on the way out), how you were fed as a baby (breast milk versus formula, how early you were weaned onto solids, the cells in your gut remain spaced widely until about 6 months of age), all sorts of interesting stuff that I think changes how your gut works. Some it's too late to fix, I guess, I don't exactly want to go back to my mum and ask for some of her vaginal secretions (I was born by c-section).

LOL! But we can repair things now... It's never too late to fix... It might just take longer, be a harder process...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

re: your last line... The latest proven thing for C. Difficile is a fecal transplant which contains healthy gut bacteria. A study I read on Medscape several months ago. Here's a quote:
    "Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) appears effective and relatively safe for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection (CDI), but there is too little evidence to draw reliable conclusions about use of the procedure for refractory or initial CDI, a new systematic review suggests.
    Dimitri Drekonja, MD, from the Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Minnesota, and colleagues published the results of their review in the May 5 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine. Despite the overall low quality of the studies, the authors emphasize the importance of the large positive effect of FMT in the RCTs and in the case-series studies. FMT was successful in 85% of recurrent CDI and 55% of refractory CDI compared with 30% to 80% success rates for medical therapies."
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/844259#vp_1

So you never know, something could come of a vaginal secretion transplant in the future. Life is strange.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

re: your last line... The latest proven thing for C. Difficile is a fecal transplant which contains healthy gut bacteria. A study I read on Medscape several months ago. Here's a quote:
    "Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) appears effective and relatively safe for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection (CDI), but there is too little evidence to draw reliable conclusions about use of the procedure for refractory or initial CDI, a new systematic review suggests.
    Dimitri Drekonja, MD, from the Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Minnesota, and colleagues published the results of their review in the May 5 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine. Despite the overall low quality of the studies, the authors emphasize the importance of the large positive effect of FMT in the RCTs and in the case-series studies. FMT was successful in 85% of recurrent CDI and 55% of refractory CDI compared with 30% to 80% success rates for medical therapies."
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/844259#vp_1

So you never know, something could come of a vaginal secretion transplant in the future. Life is strange.

I read about them a couple years ago and the procedure. I sent the info to a person I knew that had Crohn's disease. I don't think she tried it, (its a mind thing), but the success rate was so much higher with the transplant ~ than all the medicines they (conventional doctors) came up with. It works for many of those types of disorders, IBS, C-dif and many others.

Dan