The Bro-ctober workout thread; SUPAHSET!

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Super goal was to get it done in an hour. My finish time was 57:19. Quite pleased with the result and it was fun.

wow, that is great! congrats.

i'm so tired now i can't even tell if i 'worked out' or just went there and waved at the weights. went in fasted and prolly dehydrated at around 4pm, so serves me right. also think i need to start taking my iron pills . . . i felt strong, but i was so out of breath by the end of every set i had to lean on the bar for around 5 mins before the next one. didn't even bench, didn't do all my row sets.

squats: 5x5@ 85lb. warmups 5@45, 5@55, 3@65, 2@75. i did 1x5 front squats as well as the back squat for the first 3 warmup weights. form is back and better, knee felt fine, bum and legs really strong . . . but i need to start working on something. core, back, something like that. i'll figure out which component when not so tired.

did 1x10 ohp with the bar afterwards, because still holding a grudge against this lift after friday ;-)
    hip thrust or whatever they're called: 3x8@70. something like that; i just did m because i felt like it and liked them.
    rows: 3?x5@70. warmup sets 50 and 60. of everything i did, this made me worry the most about knee.

deadlift: dk really i got it up to 120 via many warmup sets/reps/weights in amongst the rowing and hip thrusting. think i did 5 at 120, but just too tired to count.

was glad to get out of there tbh. also slightly impressed with myself for hitting weights like that when i'm clearly nowhere near my best shape.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yesterday...

Squats: 52.5kg - 5/5/5/4/5
    Bench: 27.5 - 4/5/5/4/5
    Row: 37.5 - 5x5

+ cardio (running... 2km)

Failed on squats and bench... but I finally smashed through my plateau so I'm still taking it as a win! :grin:

Looking back on it, I do think it was a mental block that was holding me back. Once I said it out loud, I felt compelled to at least give it a try.

Today...

Vinyasa Yoga
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    @bluefish86 Woop - congrats on getting 52.5kg - and almost every single rep! Clearly you were ready to move up :)

Today was workout A for me:

Squats: 35kg 5x5
    Bench: 27.5kg 5x5 (this felt great)
    Pendlay rows: 35kg 5x5 (kept this weight the same as the last workout to work on form)

I felt MUCH better form-wise on bench and rows, bench I really brought my legs and breathing into the equation, and rows I concentrated on keeping my back down and holding everything tight.

Squats I really think I need someone to video me, they feel good and nothing hurts but I am sometimes a bit wobbly coming up
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was totally exhausted and sick with a cold, but I decided to lift anyway. Now I'm thinking I should have just let myself have the day off.

Squats 1x4 @ 105 lbs I got stuck at the bottom of the 5th rep and couldn't get back up. I don't have a cage at home, so I had to drop the weighted bar off to the side all while trying not to make a lot of noise that would wake up the sleeping toddler the floor above me. Pretty terrible. Ended up deloading a fair amount to do 4x5x95 lbs.

Bench 5x5x70 lbs This felt challenging but fine

Row 5x5x70lbs I ended up deloading on this, too, because the weight I was supposed to do was causing an issue for my back...possibly related to my epic squat fail earlier in the session.

Whatever, I'm just going to roll with it and work my way back up to the weights I was doing. It will give me a chance to focus on my form a bit and recover from this cold.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hope you soon feel better!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I did kettle bell swings's while I was away on vacation which kept me from gaining any weight! I am now doing them every other day on my rest day from lifting.

The app put me on a 10% deload so I am working up hopefully!

Squats- 1x5x85, 1x5x90, 1x5x95, 5x5x100
    Sumo squats- 5x5x85
    OHP- 2x5x45, 5x5x50 hate these!
    DL- 1x5x135

Then I took a 5 mile walk.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Squats - 60kg - 5x5 - the first one felt crazily heavy when I stepped back from the rack, but by the 5th set it was almost easy
    OHP - 20.5kg Yay for fractional plates. Still, I only did 5/5/3/4/4
    Deadlift - 60kg. I did this last time, no problem, but today I only managed three - my hands just didn't have the strength!

2x 10 dips and walked home - only about 1.5 miles, though
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone.

Squats: I've decided that I'm sticking with 135 lbs. until my achy knees feel better. If anything, I will increasing reps. Do you know if increase reps will hinder my strength?

OHP: Did my usual 5 x 5 @ 55 lbs. It's still hard but I managed to finish all reps. I may go up on Friday.

Deadlift
    : 1 x 4 @185 lbs. Just to heavy today. I couldn't lift the last rep although I did fine last week. whatever.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Starting StrongLifts tonight. Hope it's ok for me to join and post workouts here!
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hello, @TigerNY128 ! I'm pretty new here myself...
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    wahhhhahahah my legs are so tight and pumped that they feel funny!

Squats 3x8 165lbs - I like wearing a tank style top, however when I get back sweaty doing squats is really scary as the barbell is slippery on my back. Yuck!!! These went good, the 8 reps are killer!

Lunges - these were when my quads decided they had enough. I was supposed to do 3 sets but I gassed after 2. Whatever, it's accessory work.

Planks
  • StephieWillcox
    Options

Pendlay rows: 35kg 5x5 (kept this weight the same as the last workout to work on form)

OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. My abs are on fire today, I don't know what of the above did it, but it hurts when I take a deep breath... and I have to do workout B because I can't do it tomorrow and have to get my final workout of the week in on Friday.

I'm going to diiiiiiiie
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good work everyone!! Fantastic to see such amazing weights and I can't wait until I'm posting similar reports!

I have....however..... *fanfare please *..... found I have biceps! Last seen circa 2003 I expect!!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Today felt surreal! Definitely gave a good effort and it wasn't easy but I still feel like I breezed through it!

Squats 180x3x5 (warm-up sets: 75x5, 105x5, 135x3, 165x1 -- this is what it typically looks like, but I rarely report it)
    I was surprised after the first set to have gotten it. I was expecting to tank the next 2 - this is the weight I had to deload at a few weeks back. But I got them all! And while the last reps were grinders, I didn't actually lose my tightness forward today. Win win win!

10 min AMRAP (DB @ 30lbs)
    - step vertical jump x3/leg
    - offset push-up on hex DB x5/arm
    - bent over 2DB rows x10

Made it through 5 rounds and 7 rows (6 rounds total as I finished like 5 secs after time) which is an improvement on last week :)

Then 3 rounds of 30/15 with 45s rest at the end of each rounds (DB @ 32.5lbs)
    - Goblet Squats 15/14/15
    - Jump Squats 16/13/16
    - Floor Press 15/14/13
    - Push-up 9/8/6
    - DB bent over rows 17/15/14
    - TRX rows 9/8/8

Which seriously gassed me out, but I recovered enough to get 333 jump rope singles in 3 mins.

And I finished up with a superset of Easy Bar curls and OHP
    30x12, 35x12, 45x6, 45x6 (I wanted to do 40 but someone else was using it. Ah well)

I feel like I could take on the world! (But don't ask me to do anymore push-ups or squats O_o)

• andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Front squats 65# 3x8
    Dub rows 40# 3x8
    Bench 80# 3x5
    RDL 135 1x6 plus lots of warm ups

Some rehab and activation stuff
  • StephieWillcox
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well, it hurt, I got through it though:

Squat 37.5kg 5x5
    OH Press 27.5kg 5,5,5,4,5 - so annoyed about that fourth set, I psyched myself out I think and then was holding the bar for too long to get that 5th rep. Was determined to get it on the 5th set though!
    Deadlift 2x5 55kg - yeah, so I was only supposed to do 1 set, but they felt good, so I did another :)
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I started SL 5x5 last night.

Squat 65
    Bench 40
    Row 55

I also added leg press, walking lunges, and planks.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. My abs are on fire today, I don't know what of the above did it, but it hurts when I take a deep breath... and I have to do workout B because I can't do it tomorrow and have to get my final workout of the week in on Friday.

I'm going to diiiiiiiie
    Well, it hurt, I got through it though:

Squat 37.5kg 5x5
    OH Press 27.5kg 5,5,5,4,5 - so annoyed about that fourth set, I psyched myself out I think and then was holding the bar for too long to get that 5th rep. Was determined to get it on the 5th set though!
    Deadlift 2x5 55kg - yeah, so I was only supposed to do 1 set, but they felt good, so I did another :)

Hahaha, good for you! I love/hate that pain because I know I've activated my core but yeah, owowow. Bench always does that to me.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Today:
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x105
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Dead: 5x5x110

Re-started October 1 after a couple of months off - I'm happy with the overall progress so far. I can feel the heaviness now, though so I'm sure failures are coming soon. Both the squats and the OHP today were feeling rough!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Today is my rest day. I did 20 minutes of kettle bell swings, and went for a 5 mile walk.