Exercise

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
I have yet to start working out but feel it is time! Would love to know what everyone else is doing, how long and how often? I'm loosing fine with out working out but I don't want to be flabby after all the weight is gone.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I walk or run every day. Either a long walk, or a 30 minute run. I walk or cycle to work.
    I do Pilates and yoga, and I do some weights. As I age (I'm 50) I find myself wandering more toward body weight exercises (Pilates) and having less interest in weight training with barbells etc. That could easily change I imagine, since I've done it for about 20 years.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm kind of a cardio junkie, and when I'm in ketosis, I never seem to tank out. Since I enjoy cardio, I do a few short, strenuous, sessions of HIIT a week, and a lot of light to moderate walking, dancing and biking. It's recreational and therapeutic for me.
  • robosphere
    robosphere Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting weights again. I can't stand cardio. Some people swear by it, but I can't think of many things I like less. I'll take the dogs for a 30 minute brisk walk, but that's about it
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm loosing fine with out working out but I don't want to be flabby after all the weight is gone.

I'm not sure it helps much with weight loss, but I like the increase in strength, increase in endurance, how it makes me feel, and the potential health benefits.

In terms of what and how often, do whatever works for you. I found that training for a 5K helped motivate me, and even once I ran the 5K, I was still motivated to improve my race pace.

So, I run about 15 miles a week. And I do a bunch of body-weight exercises -- push ups, pull ups, squats, etc.

There's some evidence that limiting sessions to 30 minutes or so may help with weight loss. Less is more. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Definitely start sooner rather than later. I've seen a lot of positive posts about lifting to strengthen muscle and avoid that soft flabby look after all the fat is gone. I lost fine with little to no exercise. Like Rob I detest cardio, I would take a walk ibn my lunch break when the weather was good but find it so boring. When you eat at a deficit you lose muscle along with fat so many recommend lifting to help retain as much muscle as you can. There are a lot if beginner programs out there. Be careful not to do to much to fast, take your time and build up.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Beginner programs? Where can I find these
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    The one I started was this http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I did too much to fast and had problems from an old back injury, but I really liked it and it didn't take forever to complete.
  • momta4
    momta4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too like lifting weights and body weight exercises.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Have been doing lifting since March but only started eating LC recently. I'm not a big fan or cardio either. I lift 3-4 days a week right now.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    ok what kind of lifting do you guys do? I'm new to this lol also, on the beginner work out it shows squats and lunges and i have a fear of getting big legs, my legs arent "that big" now, yes inner fatty alittle, I want to lift my butt and tone everything with out getting bigger. if any of that makes sense lol
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Don't worry about getting bigger, if you want a lifted booty do squats. As you lose fat your legs well be sleek and toned underneath. Do build big bulky muscles takes a ton of work so don't stress about that. Also lifting while eating at a deficit will make it difficult to add any new muscle, lifting will allow you to maintain more of what you already have though and like I said before once then fat melts off you'll love what's left. I have gone through many weight loss cycles not lifting, even my most recent one, in doing so I've lost so much muscle that even weighing less I'm bigger than I used to be because there it's still so much fat left as compared to muscle :( I wish I had known about lifting from the beginning.
  • robosphere
    Options
    ok what kind of lifting do you guys do? I'm new to this lol also, on the beginner work out it shows squats and lunges and i have a fear of getting big legs, my legs arent "that big" now, yes inner fatty alittle, I want to lift my butt and tone everything with out getting bigger. if any of that makes sense lol

Your legs won't get big, especially eating at a deficit. Your legs will get shape. They'll lose fat and gain shape. You won't get big unless you eat at surplus and lift a WHOLE lot of weight.
  • fireball1970
    fireball1970 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Hip Hop Abs (level 1 & 2). It's an older program, but a very good starting point. You can get it on eBay very cheap. I did Hip hop abs for 10 years. I'm currently doing P90x3. I highly recommend it also, but might be a bit overwhelming for a beginner. More importantly start something!!! You won't be sorry I promise!!!!!
  • robosphere
    Options
    Sorry, I just said pretty much the same as Auntstephie, only much less eloquently.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    robosphere wrote: »
    Sorry, I just said pretty much the same as Auntstephie, only much less eloquently.

Lol we're on the same page
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights 3X's per week, yoga, hiking.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I walk just about every day - I'm limited by my job - so I can usually only do 4k steps, but if I time it right - I can do another 20 minute walks during a break. I do a kettle bell workout 3 times a week together with agility and stretches. I try and do a minimum of 20 flights of stairs a day. I also started Tai Chi - but I count it as zero calories - just for balance and stretching. I need to find good exercises for falling down - I have a history of injuries from slipping on ice.

Today I managed 7000 steps, 20 minutes of kettle bell and 20 minutes of aerobic fast walk/runs [inside my house] I don't run outside, and 34 flights of stairs.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Ok I'm going to find a beginner program and start this week thank everyone so much for the help.... I've already lost 18lbs and starting to see some flab so I want to get ahead of this train! Lol. Thanks again!!
  • LahLahLeslie
    LahLahLeslie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 16 years and am overweight. I'm just starting LCHF and exercising. I downloaded the C25K on my phone and love it! I have a cheap treadmill that is finally getting used and after running, I feel on top of the world!

Pinterest has a lot of workout ideas as well. I got a "butt" routine from there and like it.