Low carb foods

Options
ljcox7210
ljcox7210 Posts: 57 Member
can someone give me a list of good filling low carb foods, I'm allergic to nuts and don't eat a lot of meat. I'm struggling to find low carb fruit and veg really... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I hope you like eggs. :)

Here's a list from the Atkins folks:
    http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Cheese!
  • ljcox7210
    Options
    Cheese!

Cheese is horrendously calorific and fattening, I'm trying to get lean not put on 20lbs Haha!
  • wabmester
    Options
    Uh oh. A lot of people have lost weight eating "horrendously calorific and fattening" foods around here. You might want to read up a bit on how low carb works before you dive in. :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    As for fruits and veggies your best bets would be raspberries, broccoli, cauliflower, greens, and avocado.

Most people here are on a low carb high fat diet and see better results when they replace most of their carbs with fat. I'm much leaner eating fatty cheeses, butter, and heavy whipping cream than I was before! :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    ljcox7210 wrote: »
    Cheese!

Cheese is horrendously calorific and fattening, I'm trying to get lean not put on 20lbs Haha!

You have to eat something when you cut back on carbs, and your choices are protein or fat. Protein can be used to make glucose, which defeats part of the purpose of a low carb diet (which is to use your ability to burn fat for energy). So the usual choice is to eat more fat. If you track it and stay below your calorie goal, it won't be a problem. I add fat to everything. I roasted a batch of mushrooms, bell peppers and cauliflower in LOTS of olive oil, seasonings, and salt. If I have berries, a relatively low carb fruit, I have them with cream.

I eat full fat Greek yogurt that I make at home, with a long fermentation process to cut down the lactose. That might be getting too technical. Fage also makes a full fat Greek yogurt that isn't terribly high in carbs.

• ljcox7210
    Options
    Okay maybe this is far too scary then, I can't eat cheese and call it a diet, I want to be thin but I don't want to get there eating loads of fat, makes me feel nauseous!

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Hang out for a while and observe. The aversion to fat is a learned behavior. If you want, we can intervene and deprogram you. :)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    SXPvhE7.gif
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Ironically nearly all the overweight people I know are on low-fat diets....
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    When I first started hanging out in the main forums, I would see people posting stuff about VLCHF diets, and I would think "How could they possibly think this was healthy and sustainable??" Then I would quickly move on. I couldn't fathom that eating way more fat than what we've been taught in mainstream diets to eat was in any way promotional to fat loss and good health. But just recently, I decided to try reducing my carbs, and one article led to many others and ultimately led me to eating VLCHF. I eat a lot of avocados, whole eggs, spinach, salad greens, green beans, dark meat chicken, coconut oil, butter, and some cheese...and I'm still learning how to keep variety in my food. I don't really eat nuts except for maybe a sprinkle of almonds in recipes I might be making.

I'm learning that You can have variety in your food eating this way, and it all isn't just cheese and butter. AND food just tastes waaaaay better! :wink:
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Okay maybe this is far too scary then, I can't eat cheese and call it a diet, I want to be thin but I don't want to get there eating loads of fat, makes me feel nauseous!

I've just started about a week ago and it is taking some getting used to. But I am going to keep it up and see what happens. Everyone here seems to have great results :smile:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Aversion to the high fat part of this woe isn't unusual, due to the brainwashing we have been put through with the "fat is bad" campaign! I recommend if you truly desire health you will take @wabmester advice and read up! The health benefits are unbelievable. I have eaten some form of cheese everyday since March, and I can now see my ribs sticking out! Dispute that? I don't think you can! Knowledge is power!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I'm new to this WOE eating as well and I understand your trepidation. The philosophy goes against everything we have been taught was "true" about food. I'm quickly coming to realize that there is far more than one way to skin this cat. If you can, try to keep an open mind and as others have said, read. Read a lot. Then when you can't believe your eyes read again. Finally, give it a whirl. What you have you got to lose...except excess weight?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Organic coconut oil is my go to low carb food. Not sure if that gives you a nut like response however.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't go on a low carb diet, you need enough fat in your diet. It's an essential nutrient.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@ljcox7210 LCHF= Low Carb, HIGH FAT :wink: Then again, I've never been scared of fat, as eating fat does not make you fat.
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Ironically nearly all the overweight people I know are on low-fat diets....

So true!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well then... Good luck with that low carb, low fat, no meat diet...
    Fat doesn't make you fat. Get over that and you're golden
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Even if you don't go on a low carb diet, you need enough fat in your diet. It's an essential nutrient.

So true! I wish I had pictures I could show you. When I started this WOE the Beast didn't eat any fat (well, as litlle as possible). Period. He never had his whole life. He seriously would spend 45mintues cutting all visible fat from our chicken legs before he cooked them!! He had also been involved in martial arts and body building his whole life. Though he won huge awards in martial arts and was as fit as a fiddle, he could never bulk up. I even nick named him Skeletor for a while. Once he saw my results he switched to 2% milk and full fat dairy, ate as much cheese and eggs as he wanted, didn't cut the fat off meat (though he still won't eat chicken skin) and stopped worrying about fat. He actually (because of other factors) reduced his workouts to a bare minimum and POOF! Muscles appeared out of no where! Over the last 6 months he has visibly bulked up! We both think it can only be attributed to the fact that he was likely low on fat most of his life! I kid you not! It's amazing!