What was your fasting BG today?

Options

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    92 (4AM). 102 (7AM). Which one should I use officially? Before the "dawn effect" or after? My feeling is to use the after one.

Depends why you check. I check to see that my bedtime insulin is correct.
    I check before meals to see that my morning insulin is correct.
    Bedtime checks that I didn't overdo carbs at dinner.
    If I'm having something new I'll check 2 hours after to see if I'll have it again.
    Sometimes I check after exercise just to see if I over did it.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't use insulin. Only metformin XR. The two BG spikes I have are the daily "dawn effect" and a big spike twice a week right after my anaerobic resistance training which completely normalizes in 1 hr. I've learned to accept the post exercise BG spike COST because of the greater BENEFIT of the increased insulin sensitivity that hard exercise provides.

I don't know what to do about my "dawn effect". I know both BG spikes are due to catecholamine dumps. Should I just ignore both?
    92 (4AM). 102 (7AM). Which one should I use officially? Before the "dawn effect" or after? My feeling is to use the after one.

If I'm having something new I'll check 2 hours after to see if I'll have it again.

I've been told the BG above 140 are damaging to blood vessels... so spikes under that I don't worry. If I go to 140+ then I feel I need to do something to reduce it.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    83 at 911am today.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    I don't use insulin. Only metformin XR. The two BG spikes I have are the daily "dawn effect" and a big spike twice a week right after my anaerobic resistance training which completely normalizes in 1 hr. I've learned to accept the post exercise BG spike COST because of the greater BENEFIT of the increased insulin sensitivity that hard exercise provides.

I don't know what to do about my "dawn effect". I know both BG spikes are due to catecholamine dumps. Should I just ignore both?

In my world 102 isn't a spike. It's damn good.
    I've been at this game a little bit longer than you. :)
    I do have to admit I'm doing much better as of late.
    Diet, meds & exercise.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options

For the morning fasting blood sugar test, I'd use the reading that's immediately (i.e. within 15 min) after waking up & getting out of bed. Any reading after that isn't really valid as a morning fasting blood sugar test. If your 4am reading was right after waking up and getting out of bed, that's the one I'd use as your morning fasting blood sugar reading.

Both of your readings are close (92 vs 102) so I'd kind of consider those readings to be about the same. Also, keep in mind that personal glucometers are only accurate to within 15% of the lab measured value (I think that 15% accuracy is a federal requirement for all personal glucometers) and both of your readings are well within that 15% accuracy requirement. If you want to "zero in" on a better number (& didn't mind poking your fingers more often), you could take 3 sequential readings for each time frame and average them (4am average & 7am average) since that would help to "smooth out" the meter's reading-to-reading variability. I did this when I got my new meter to make comparisons with my old meter & was surprised at the reading-to-reading variability of both meters but both meters were always within 15% and since those reading were done at the doctor's office right after my lab blood draw, those readings were also within 15% of the lab's blood sugar reading.

As a side note: I'd really like to see these glucomters improve their accuracy to about 5% so that meter reading variations would have little effect on insulin dosage adjustments. A 15% meter reading range on a blood sugar value of 200 mg/dL would amount to a blood sugar range of 170 - 230 mg/dL and still be consider accurate but the amount of insulin I would need to inject would vary depending on which of those values (170 or 230) I'd base my dosage on.

Personal note: I have the opposite effect of the "dawn effect"--my morning blood sugar reading is lowest right after getting out of bed upon awakening (within 15min) but 1 or 2 hours after that when I've been up & about (i.e. take shower, get dressed for work, pay bills & do other stuff before breakfast) my blood sugar increases by 15-30 mg/dL due to the sugar my liver dumps into the bloodstream once I'm up & about. For "dawn effect" individuals, having a small snack right before bed may help reduce the high blood sugars upon awakening since their blood sugars while sleeping might not drop low enough to cause a "liver sugar dump" before awakening. For me, I seem to do best with my morning blood sugars by not having a bedtime snack since my bedtime blood sugars are rarely under 90 mg/dL. I will, however, have a bedtime snack if my bedtime blood sugars are low (i.e. < 80 mg/dL) but I'm still working on figuring out just how low they need to be before requiring that bedtime snack (i.e. for example, should I have a bedtime snack when my bedtime BG < 90?--I'm still working on figuring that out).
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    89 :)
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Mine is 4.7 (85) this morning and I just went on the scale and I have lost 49.4 lbs to date!
  • cloudy68
    cloudy68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    tenessaa wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed and started Metformin last night. My fasting was 270 this morning *ugh*

It will be OK...try to walk after every meal even for a few minutes...make sure you take your Metformin with meals....it can give you some gastro side effects but they often pass within a week or two (it did for me)..don't lose hope!
    Try and eat more veggies as a small start. Everyone here is super nice and will give you a ton of support. Best wishes..I was diagnosed 6 months ago and now I am feeling so much better. It can happen for you :)

• cloudy68
    cloudy68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    embarrassingly... 135... blame it on the cold, not my cheats yesterday.
  • kithrobyn
    kithrobyn Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Mine was low this morning, 68.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    111 at 1130am today (I ate a lot last night).
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend everyone! Yesterday my FBS was 106 & today it was 110
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    104, much better but slept super late too. Hope everyone else got rest this weekend also.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    93 :)