Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    Maybe they keep their chalk down there.

omg. i cleaned the bench and the bar like i've never cleaned any equipment before, once they were finally done. but this new insight from you makes me wish that i'd autoclaved the whole rig.
    I suspect they ended by telling her to jump in the pool.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    who dresses exactly like Bjorn Borg circa 1981

i had such a thing for bjorn borg! i was 16 at the time though, so probably over it now.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    sigh. i wish nipples were just, like, as ordinary as elbows. but until they are, i guess i'll have to be that woman who wears a sports bra just so she won't be That Woman In The Gym.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    sigh. i wish nipples were just, like, as ordinary as elbows. but until they are, i guess i'll have to be that woman who wears a sports bra just so she won't be That Woman In The Gym.

That's hilarious! I'm a nipper. I don't love it or hate it, and had no idea that others had strong feelings about it until a few years ago. What's to hate, really? There aren't adequate foam bras for 36 F people. My current sports bra is woefully lacking in all categories but I refuse to by another $70 one until I'm close to goal.

I have a, somewhat, funny story about that. DH and I went to our chiropractor today and decided to make a date out of the afternoon. The chiro emphasized how I my posture should be shoulders back and down. We went to lunch, which was so calorific that we were full for the rest of the day, and stopped by a grocery to pick up a few things. We walked in, got a cart, and I'm rolling down the aisle and happen to look down. It was FREEZING in there and my nips were talkin'. Right when DH was starting to comment on the frigid conditions I turn around and strike the chiro's pose of shoulders back and down. Nipping out.

"I don't think THIS is what Dr. P had in mind!" We giggled for hours! A poor, unfortunate stock guy witnessed the exchange. I've probably scared him off nipples for life.
  • canadianlbs
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ^^ lol. i don't really have boobs, just a ribcage with nipples on it. so basically bras have never entered my life, but lifting kind of makes it hard. you're always going around with your shoulders back and your chest up and your sternum lifted, and sort of presenting them to the world ahead of everything else. and so. i either wear these dark-coloured shirts that somehow camouflage them, or i've had to take to sports bras just to kind of suppress them a bit.

but it's a nuisance. i've never had to think about it and now it feels like i'm not 100% happy whatever i do. i can't THINK when i'm wearing a bra.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i don't think i ever told this story - it's from more than a year ago. i was at the rec centre that has fixed barbells all stacked on this kind of tiered rack thing.

so i was just starting out and i wanted the 40-pound bar to put on my shoulders and warm up for squats with. i couldn't get it over my head at that point, and this guy saw me struggling and kind of jumped over to offer help. and then the 'conversation' went like this.

me: i've got it thanks.
    him: sure?
    me: yup. *pant pant wrassle*.
    him: okay then
    me: i don't have any problem getting it out, see. it's just sometimes i'm not sure if i can get it up.
    him: guess we all know how that feels.

i give him this distracted smile and he kind of blinks and then hurriedly goes somewhere else. and ten seconds later i'm down in the hole on my rep and i go "HAH!"
  • ar9179
    Options
    You've made me CAW! That really loud sound that startles everyone but the person emitting it. That's dang funny.

It's interesting how boobs kind of define us. I think my shoulders roll forward because I want to minimize their presence. Which has caused all kinds of pec/back issues. Seriously, if I walk around like the doc says I should, I'd look ridiculous.
    You've ignored some of their influence and now your workout of choice makes you take them into account.

Womanhood. Full of "WTH?"
  • Simply827
    Simply827 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i don't think i ever told this story - it's from more than a year ago. i was at the rec centre that has fixed barbells all stacked on this kind of tiered rack thing.

so i was just starting out and i wanted the 40-pound bar to put on my shoulders and warm up for squats with. i couldn't get it over my head at that point, and this guy saw me struggling and kind of jumped over to offer help. and then the 'conversation' went like this.

me: i've got it thanks.
    him: sure?
    me: yup. *pant pant wrassle*.
    him: okay then
    me: i don't have any problem getting it out, see. it's just sometimes i'm not sure if i can get it up.
    him: guess we all know how that feels.

i give him this distracted smile and he kind of blinks and then hurriedly goes somewhere else. and ten seconds later i'm down in the hole on my rep and i go "HAH!"

You have told that story before, but it's still a good one. I binged this thread and recall seeing it.
  • Simply827
    Simply827 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Today was the day when the over sized children left their toys (plates) around. I normally lift on Sun/Tues/Thurs, but I missed yesterday. I've gone on Fridays before, but the people today particularly got under my skin. There was this guy taking up the cage while he bounced all around the gym. I like to do my deadlifts in the cage using the side rails so I don't have to stack a bunch of plates on the floor for lift. Guy was nowhere to be found, but he still had weights on the bar in the cage, so I figured he'd be back. Nope. I should have gone with my first mind and jumped in.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I think I'm That Woman In The Gym :( I'm always nipping out and it's so embarrassing. Every time I lift they just stand at attention as if I'm freezing cold. :'( I do wear a sports bra but even my one with somewhat foamy cups doesn't hide them...
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    Another day there was a guy I'd never seen before using the squat rack, and when I asked if he was done he said yes, and then he made the same tired joke I've heard before from other obnoxious young gym guys: "Should I leave these plates on for you?" when they have 225 pounds on there (and oh, how I wish I could walk up to the bar and squat that amount and shut them up). There was another guy within earshot who I see around a lot and who knows what he's doing (and comes in and gets it done without the preening some people do), and he said to the first guy, "Believe me, you only wish you could progress the way she does--she's getting really strong."

In both instances, I smiled for the rest of the day.

I finally got a chance to catch up on this thread so I'm really late to the party. I would have said, "No thanks. It's not my deload week yet. I do need to warm up though. " Just to see the look on his face. >:)>:)>:)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    non-lift victory: mr trainer's monthly challenge is time in a wall handstand, with the 'goal' always being 'greatest individual improvement over the month'.

mr squat weighs about 400 pounds (is square) and has never ever done a handstand in his life, ever. so he was trying it out, tonight.

i watched him make his first attempt, and when he came down i gave him some feedback. i'm usually much too shy to do this, but i suggested he try to think of it like an upside-down ohp, and do the same 'shrug' once he was settled in order to actually stack his weight directly over his arms. his second attempt was way better and he looked visibly stronger in it. and when he came down he was thrilled at how different it felt and how much it had helped.

so i'm really pleased with myself.
  • ar9179
    Options
    ^^^That's nice. I'm glad mr squat listened and had a good result!

I've done my strength stuff on Tues/Thurs for several months. There haven't been very many people who have acknowledged me in that time. I'm not an extrovert, so part of that is me. Thursday was an anomaly.

Deadlift is last and I move out of the squat rack and load the bar on the ground. I've done this a lot, for quite a while. This last time I was re-racking after the lift and that 45 wasn't coming off smoothly. This guy, who I don't remember seeing before, rushes over and lifts the barbell so I could slip it off. "Thank you!" He asked if I needed help getting the other side and I said "No, I'll just tip the bar." So he does it and is carrying the 45 over to rack it when I'm coming back. He had replaced the bar on the bench, too! I took the plate and thanked him. Said "Have a great day!" as I was leaving. What a nice guy! That has never happened before. I was feeling run-down, so extra sweet.

Then, one of the employees that has seen me for weeks and has always ignored me, said "Have a good day" as I was leaving. "You too!" and why are you talking to me all of the sudden? I've done the smile/head bob a few times and he just turned away or didn't react/see me. Although, once I went to the restroom before I finished (weights racked, though) and when I came out he was standing outside the door, playing on his phone. Then, followed me back to the gym area. Maybe he thought I was hurt? It was weird.

• DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been following this thread for a while but never had anything to contibute, until now. :smile:

As I was walking from the shower to my locker yesterday, I saw a girl taking a full frontal naked selfie! She saw me see her, but she didn't seem to care. Now, if people want to send naked pictures to each other, that's none of my business, but taking the photo in a public place is a bit much, no?

This is the best I've got. My gym is lacking in weirdos.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    ^^^good grief! I love checking into this thread just to see what I'm missing out on working out at home!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I regret saying there weren't many weirdos at my gym. Been noticing them so much more now. On Monday a very rude guy threw down his paper towel with sweat on it and then didn't pick it up or apologise after it landed on my mat.

Then there was the guy who watched me setting up a step with some plates on top for box squats, then came over and asked if I was using the step (before I'd even done one rep) as if I should give it to him because he was more important than me. Grrr!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    sucampbeN wrote: »
    came over and asked if I was using the step (before I'd even done one rep) as if I should give it to him because he was more important than me. Grrr!

heh. it's amazing how irritating that is. considering that they don't say anything you can actually pin irritation to. they just make you do all the work of reading their message ON TOP of the work it takes to be pissed off by them.

i have this fear sometimes that the passive-aggressive will end up ruling the earth. they do so much less work than the rest of us do.

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    So normally I lift downstairs, there's a cage and a smith machine, and loads of weight machines, plus all the cardio equipment. Upstairs there is a weights room with 2 more cages, a deadlift platform, and then cable things and benches.

I had to go upstairs today... I walked in and 2 guys were doing seated DB overhead presses, they were already using too much weight when I had to set up right in front of them in the cage for my squats.

I guess not a lot of women go in there, and it may well have been a coincidence (I really don't think it was) but they picked up the biggest dumbells there, I dunno how much they weigh, maybe 40kg each? They looked SERIOUS.

They then proceeded to help each other half rep these dumbbells for 2 reps each, and at the end of their "set" they just threw them to the floor... awesome... just the kind of distraction that was really helpful to me while I was trying to squat.

I guess one of them realised they were being idiots because he picked up much smaller DB's and finished his sets off.

Morons.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Not much to report here. Had an older gentleman I'd noticed who was doing some lifts in a jacket that came over near the rack when I was doing my OHP. After my second set when I managed 4 reps, I caught his gaze and he touched his chin with his hand, indicating down with a smile.

Also briefly saw a guy with a flash symbol on his red shirt and he did a little calf work then meandered away, seemed to jump from things without staying much for any of them.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Guy strolled over to the dips bars, looked like he was just going to do standard stuff - then flipped himself upside down, raised his legs in the air, and did them upside down! Holy mackerel. The whole gym stopped to watch. Then looked away and carried on with their own thing - this is Scotland, we don't make a fuss :-)