Need advice on starting working out to tone up!

Options

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Ok what's nrolfw and yayaog? Lol.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Ok what's nrolfw and yayaog? Lol.

NROLFW= New Rules of LIfting for Women
    YAYGOG= You Are Your Own Gym

Books on strength training.
  • baconslave
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I did a lot of fumbling around when I first started 8 months ago but if I had to do it over I might start with NROLFW. Have fun! Lifting really will change your body. But the most important thing is to be patient because it takes time.

I'm reading through that right now. They are talking about diet and 40% carbs where I left off. HARDEEHARHAR. Nope. :lol:

I'm like: "I know. I know. Yes yes. MOAR protein. I know how to eat, let's get to the lifting part!"
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just want someone to tell me
    "Do this X many times one day and this X many times another day"... And how many days a week and know that I am working different groups without skipping others or overworking a particular one.
    When I looked at some site (don't remember) that had all kinds of different things listed with videos for form and all that great stuff, I couldn't figure out what combinations of things to put together and at what frequency...
    When thinking about what would be a "leg day" routine, I basically "shopped" from the choices shown for legs but realized that randomly choosing a few, repeated work on the same muscles and maybe didn't even include others.
    It was too much to wrap my brain around at one time.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The problem is that even if you can remember all you see and read, it's really hard to get it right. I finally gave up and joined a gym and have a trainer. In one month it's made a major difference. A trainer can make minor changes to your position that prevent injury and optimize the muscle workout. Also he/she can push you to maximize the exercise workout and get you to your limits, while making it possible to come back and do more 2 days later.

The bad thing is that is costs a lot.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If anybody is interested in freeletics, I just signed up, and it looks pretty good. Seems to be a lot more popular in Europe than in the US for some reason. Search on youtube for some inspirational videos.

I've only done 1 workout, but here's my take:

It's 100% body weight (yeah!). High intensity. And you can join local groups or participate online. You compete against yourself -- always trying to complete your workout faster.

Ignore the "coach" that you need to pay for. Just download the free app. The app gives you specific workouts and progressions. It includes downloadable videos, and so far the quality looks pretty good.

My first workout was 2 sets of pushups, lunges, and jumping jacks (hey, it's a start). They emphasize full range of motion, good form, and SPEED.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I liked NROLFW too. But I am not great at coming up with my own program. I like exercise videos for that. My favourites are the beachbody P90 series. P90 is a bit easier. P90X is a bit tougher with long videos, which I sometimes shorten, and P90X3 is a tough workout in 30 minute increments. I like the videos because I can see how the moves are supposed to work... And they are tough. LOL

As far as weights, you will probably need a variety. For back and shoulders i will use 25 lb weights, for biceps it is 10-15 and triceps are as low as 5 lbs. whatever I can lift up to 10 times is what I go with.

A cheaper option is exercise bands. You adjust the length for more resistance.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at freeletics.com (thanks @wabmester!) and it looks very good. I need concrete guidance, do this, don't do that. I need to start somewhere, I have not done any structured exercise in more than 20 years. I want exercise to be my New Year's resolution and I want to keep it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    I'm looking at freeletics.com (thanks @wabmester!) and it looks very good. I need concrete guidance, do this, don't do that. I need to start somewhere, I have not done any structured exercise in more than 20 years. I want exercise to be my New Year's resolution and I want to keep it.

This is how I feel too. I will have to take a peek at that site.
  • baconslave
    edited December 2015
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

Yeah. I'll be looking at that after I finish reading NROLRW. I've been doing dumbbells again. It just takes too darn much time. 45min of workout time supposedly for the routine but takes an hour to complete in juggling the weight changes and setting up the set. Pffft. I have stuff I have to get done. Bodyweight stuff takes 30 min. I HATE pushups so bad, and inclined rows (inclined pullups) but I hate making supper be late because I'm busy slinging weights around while dodging the 4-year-old. I think he's trying to kill me...

And holding the dumbbells on my shoulders during leg work bruises me something awful.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The freeletics thing is kind of fascinating. I was aware of it before but hadn't really looked into it in detail.

It was founded by 3 college students in Germany (which explains the popularity in Europe). They started by publishing a few PDF's on bodyweight exercises, but have turned it into a pretty sophisticated program with a social network and a virtual coach. Everybody seems to love the virtual coach aspect that I skipped, but I'm going to try it without for now.

I'm actually more impressed with their entrepreneurship and business model than I am with the program. It's really brilliant -- they eliminated the overhead of a gym, but still found a way to get people to pay for a virtual trainer! And the marketing is brilliant too -- before/after youtube videos.

BTW, those photos of the buff dudes on their homepage are of the founders. :)

Anyway, if you boil it down, it's bodyweight exercises with built-in motivational support. The program is intense. They intentionally focus on your weak spots and intentionally push you beyond your limits.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just want someone to tell me
    "Do this X many times one day and this X many times another day"... And how many days a week and know that I am working different groups without skipping others or overworking a particular one.
    When I looked at some site (don't remember) that had all kinds of different things listed with videos for form and all that great stuff, I couldn't figure out what combinations of things to put together and at what frequency...
    When thinking about what would be a "leg day" routine, I basically "shopped" from the choices shown for legs but realized that randomly choosing a few, repeated work on the same muscles and maybe didn't even include others.
    It was too much to wrap my brain around at one time.

StrongLifts would be a good program for you then. No frills, just "do these exercises on this day, and these exercises on this day." It even has a free mobile app you can use to track the workouts, and it keeps track of the weight you're at and workout you're on.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    That sounds pretty good. I'll look further into that.
  • janettemillard868
    janettemillard868 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Lift Heavy routine start with a good program 3 days a week. If I had known what I know now I would have started if from the very beginning.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend StrongLifts as a starting point. There are only 5 lifts you need to learn so you can really concentrate on getting your form right instead of just doing loads of different exercises.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting, I started with NROLFW. I felt that by the third phase or whatever they call it, they moved into too much accessory type work and got away from the main compound stuff and added more HIIT which made the workouts way too long for my liking, and I felt like I was not progressing at all. I quit that and went to Nia Shanks workouts which I liked a lot better. The info in NROLFW is great though, so I recommend the book even if you don't ever do the program.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    When I started lifting, I started with NROLFW. I felt that by the third phase or whatever they call it, they moved into too much accessory type work and got away from the main compound stuff and added more HIIT which made the workouts way too long for my liking, and I felt like I was not progressing at all. I quit that and went to Nia Shanks workouts which I liked a lot better. The info in NROLFW is great though, so I recommend the book even if you don't ever do the program.

I wonder if the original NROL has that issue? A lot of people swear by it, but I can't imagine it would stray that far and people wouldn't say anything about it...

Another one for both academic and practical information is Starting Strength. Mark Rippetoe is the name in lifting.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    deksgrl wrote: »

I wonder if the original NROL has that issue? A lot of people swear by it, but I can't imagine it would stray that far and people wouldn't say anything about it...

Another one for both academic and practical information is Starting Strength. Mark Rippetoe is the name in lifting.

I bought the book in Feb. 2013 and it was the version published in 2007. Maybe other people disagree that this is a lot of accessory work, but this is what it has for Stage 3. Plus, being 50+, the lunge jumps and squat jumps were a bit high impact on the knees and stuff.

Workout A
    One armed dumbbell snatch
    Dumbbell single leg Romanian deadlift
    Barbell bent over row
    Dumbbell single arm overhead squat
    Dumbbell incline bench press
    Planks
    Reverse Wood Chop
    + Body weight:
    24 squats
    12 lunges (each leg)
    12 Lunge jumps (each leg)
    24 squat jumps.

Workout B
    Barbell Romanian Deadlift/bent-over row
    Partial single leg squat
    Wide grip lat pulldown
    Back extension
    YTWL
    Swiss ball crunch
    Hip flexion
    Lateral flexion
    Prone cobra
    15 minutes HIIT
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Yeah, that's a lot of stuff, geez.

At that point, I'd be graduating to barbell work. Those are like...2 hour+ workouts, which is overkill.