Dashing in December

2»

Replies

• tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    wow, long day at work. started at 9 am and did not get out of work till 9 pm.

Finally, sat down for some dinner. Dr. F. Hearty minestrone soup over greens w/ sunflower seeds. Almond milk

Since, I have upped my greens I feel my energy coming back. Been so tired since I went vegan and trying to give up coffee.

today:
    steel cut soaked oats w/ blueberries
    greens

chickpea tuno salad dr. fuhrman recipe
    over greens

and dinner stated above.

Hoping to break the barrier this weekend and have some time to go to the gym. Will see
    have company coming for xmas so need to do a lot of cleaning and preparing again.

Finished all of my Xmas shopping except for one thing. Will have to pick it up this weekend or forget about it.

1 week till xmas eve and counting. We are staying in a swank hotel for xmas eve. and going out to dinner. (although there will not be much for me to eat). On xmas may try to make GF vegan ravioli.

My VL7#3 probiotic arrived today. Dr. Benson wants me to try this probiotic for 1 month and if it works do no add any more supplements if not add omega 3 4 capsules daily.

Everyone have a nice evening.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Hi guys

Terri we are all rallying for you! So impressed with your resolve and the way you are making it fit. Maybe you can try calling the restaurant ahead of time to tell them about your dietary needs, so you end up with something more than lettuce leaves!

Mihani, how late does Amazon ship? I'm impressed! I did most of my shopping online this year too, it was great.

I can't believe how busy December has been, in and out of work. I'm so happy I only have 4 work days left. I'm really looking forward to the holidays this year, and I think I'm all ready for them :)
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I certainly feel like I’m “dashing” in December. So much to do and so little time left! Grandson’s band concert, a trip to the theater to see a Nutcracker performance, a trip downtown to see the Christmas Market and Tuba Christmas, and then hosting Christmas dinner — that’s what’s left on my schedule!

That Chickpea Cocoa Almond energy bars look delicious. I will give them a try (without the syrup) with peanut butter. Thanks! I can get unsweetened coconut at the health food store. Almond butter is so expensive right now — $25 a jar here! This might make a nice after-dinner Christmas “cookie” for the gang.

My roasted root vegetables with thyme were a mild hit at Thanksgiving, so I will make that again. My parsnip mashed potatoes were not so well received, but my wild rice pilaf was a good dish. That said, I don’t mind at all that there were plenty of healthy leftovers for me. I’ll start planning Christmas meals tomorrow.

Loved the dress story! I have to say that shopping for myself is so much more pleasant now that I don’t see my mother in the mirror. I have started buying dresses, too, and I am also not a dressy kind of gal, but now I own four dresses.

I eat a full meal before going out to any party, because (like tdh1991 says) a no-meat, no-diary, no-sugar lifestyle does make going out harder. I try to focus on the event, the people, the social aspect, and stay clear of the food table. But I definitely EAT before I go. It gets easier the more I do it.

I wanted to go see TSO but hubby wasn’t interested. Not his thing. Fooey!

tdh1991, thank you for sharing your trip to Fuhrman’s office. Very interesting. Glad to hear you can ditch most of those supplements. What a pain! It does sound like you are in very good hands. How exciting to actually meet Dr. F (I want to treat myself to one of his seminars someday soon).

Even though we deliberately tried to keep December from not being a rush of events, it has still been more hectic than we prefer. We still don’t have our tree up but I did get the lights on the outside at least. They look really pretty in the snow!

I didn't make any goals in December, even though I am back up to 10 pounds above goal weight. Ugh. Portion control is something I need to work on. I've had way too many nuts and peanut butter lately, and eating late at night doesn't help. I need to be able to fit one of my party clothes so I will be trying on things today so I'm not stressing about what to wear 2 hours beforehand.
  • liapr
    Lisa, nice to hear from you!! Sounds like you've been having a crazy December too. It feels like it just started but it's already the 18th and Christmas is only a week away. How did that happen!!?!? Good idea about eating before a party. I've heard that is a good idea for anyone trying to eat well, let alone dietary restrictions. Also, I remember Happy Herbivore really stressing that you should focus on the social aspects rather than the food, and that is good advice! I just hardly remember to follow it lol. Also, $25/jar!!!??!?!?

I'm hosting a little party this weekend. Per usual, I'm relying on Oh She Glows for some favourites to satisfy a group of non veg. I think I'll make the "nacho" dip in her book and try the mushroom phyllo tart for something easy to eat with hands too. Has anyone made this? I'm not sure what else, but I'm going to make a nice veggie dish as well.

Happy Friday :)
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    I made the nacho dip, and my hubby really liked it. I actually didn't like it all that much, personally... I REALLY loved the strawberry (and mango? I think) guacamole - so he had his dish, and I had mine. :smile:
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,891 Member
    Hey y'all, busy busy week. I assume y'all are busy too. This time of year gets so hectic, and work is crazy, and I have not bought a single present. I best get at that this week!
  • liapr
    HI guys :) Nacho dip was a hit! Have eaten way too many things OFF the ETL plan already. I always partly dread the holidays for this, but it also makes me appreciate vegetables more than ever. Strangely, except for some cake, our entire holiday party menu was vegan! Even the stuff brought by the non-vegans. It really impressed me.

Today is my last day of work which is amazing and terrifying because it means I have a mega huge amount of stuff to get done today but then I'm freeeee.

Good luck with all the shopping and hectic schedules this week! Thinking of you guys <3
  • Mihani
    Hi Everyone! Still working like a crazy woman, but tomorrow will be a short day then off Friday. I am going to work some this weekend though. The pressure at the end of the year is unreal.

Lia, glad your party went so well, and woohoo for vegan food all the way!

Lisa, I love roasted veggies, gives them such a nice depth of flavor.

Terri, glad you are feeling a bit better.

Karrie, I need to try those nacho dips. Maybe for New Year's.

Hiya Coues and Laura!

I stopped at the liquor store and got the last presents. I have no inspiration this year and I'm out of time, so everyone is getting their favorite liquor/beer/wine and done. I picked up a few other odds and ends this week, so I am okay with it. My vet bills have been staggering lately so I really don't have much to spare for presents.

So going strict ETL after Christmas. I have put on several pounds this month, not even from parties and holiday food just stress eating like a little pretzel maniac. And my latest addiction, olives of all things. I've always liked them but lately I've been actually craving them. How weird is that?

Merry Christmas! <3 all of you!
  • lisabinco
    I, too, am going strict -- starting today! I've eaten myself up 10 pounds and it has to stop. I gave away all my "fat" clothes and I am NOT going to buy any larger size clothes. I even had some chocolate, which usually isn't something I crave, and then I kept going back for "one more." Which ended up being 7 or 8 pieces. And 3 slices of pumpkin pie. Oh, and don't forget the bread. Oy! The bread, home-baked by a wonderful pastry maker friend, that really got me going. It will take me a few days of detox to feel myself again.

I made this dish for Christmas dinner and it was well-received by carnivores in attendance. I personally loved it. It's from an old Vegetarian Times cookbook I use often for family get-togethers. I omitted the salt and cut back the oil and I'm glad I did; no one noticed. It's quite low-calorie if you're careful with the olive oil and is pretty filling. I'll definitely make this again.

Green Beans with Mushrooms Marsala (p. 133, Vegetarian Times 1998 "Complete Thanksgiving Cookbook" Harvest of Side Dishes) - Serves 6
    1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
    1 tbsp olive oil (I used 1 tsp)
    1 clove minced garlic (I used jar minced garlic, @ 3 cloves worth)
    1 pound white mushrooms (could use brown mushrooms) sliced 1/8-in thick
    1 tsp salt (I used no salt)
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 cup sweet Marsala wine (or sherry or cheap white wine)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup slivered raw almonds (optional)

Steam green beans (I steam my veggies in a rice cooker.) till crisp-tender.
    While beans are steaming, heat oil in skillet and add garlic, stirring till garlic is cooked through but not brown. Add mushrooms, stirring till mushrooms begin to brown, @ 7 minutes. Add seasonings and wine (or sherry); stir. Continue cooking till alcohol evaporates, @ 2 minutes.
    Place steamed beans in a serving bowl (or serving plate). Pour mushroom mixture over the beans. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top. Serve immediately.

Per Serving: 80 cals.; 3g protein; 3g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 0mg cholesterol; 393mg sodium; 4g fiber
  • Mihani
    Hi Lisa, that green bean dish sounds delicious! I will definitely try it. I use the minced garlic in a jar too, so easy. I buy jar ginger too, grating fresh ginger is a chore.

It's amazing how fast pounds can creep back on isn't it? Planning a very healthy day today. With working and other things going on all weekend I didn't get time to really plan things out, but I did restock my lettuce and other veggies, just need to take time to clean them up for salads. I will do that tonight I hope. It is a really busy week here at work.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    lisabinco wrote: »
    I, too, am going strict -- starting today! I've eaten myself up 10 pounds and it has to stop. I gave away all my "fat" clothes and I am NOT going to buy any larger size clothes. I even had some chocolate, which usually isn't something I crave, and then I kept going back for "one more." Which ended up being 7 or 8 pieces. And 3 slices of pumpkin pie. Oh, and don't forget the bread. Oy! The bread, home-baked by a wonderful pastry maker friend, that really got me going. It will take me a few days of detox to feel myself again.

I made this dish for Christmas dinner and it was well-received by carnivores in attendance. I personally loved it. It's from an old Vegetarian Times cookbook I use often for family get-togethers. I omitted the salt and cut back the oil and I'm glad I did; no one noticed. It's quite low-calorie if you're careful with the olive oil and is pretty filling. I'll definitely make this again.

Green Beans with Mushrooms Marsala (p. 133, Vegetarian Times 1998 "Complete Thanksgiving Cookbook" Harvest of Side Dishes) - Serves 6
    1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
    1 tbsp olive oil (I used 1 tsp)
    1 clove minced garlic (I used jar minced garlic, @ 3 cloves worth)
    1 pound white mushrooms (could use brown mushrooms) sliced 1/8-in thick
    1 tsp salt (I used no salt)
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 cup sweet Marsala wine (or sherry or cheap white wine)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup slivered raw almonds (optional)

Steam green beans (I steam my veggies in a rice cooker.) till crisp-tender.
    While beans are steaming, heat oil in skillet and add garlic, stirring till garlic is cooked through but not brown. Add mushrooms, stirring till mushrooms begin to brown, @ 7 minutes. Add seasonings and wine (or sherry); stir. Continue cooking till alcohol evaporates, @ 2 minutes.
    Place steamed beans in a serving bowl (or serving plate). Pour mushroom mixture over the beans. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top. Serve immediately.

Per Serving: 80 cals.; 3g protein; 3g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 0mg cholesterol; 393mg sodium; 4g fiber

This looks yummy as heck!
  • Mihani
    Hope you all had a nice Christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year! I will start a new thread tomorrow night, the usual Nutritarian New Year, I think? Looking forward to starting a new year with y'all. I managed to get all my "must be done before the end of the year or it will be the end of the world" things at work done, so I am much more relaxed than I have been the past few weeks. Still way too much to do, but I can sort of slow down a bit and look at what needs to be done and stop putting out fires. I hope!

I have done better this week with eating more ETL-ish and planning to start the 6 week plan on the 2nd. Anyone up for joining me? Even if you aren't in for a full 6 weeks maybe a week or two would be fun to have some company.
  • liapr
    Hi everyone! Merry Christmas to you and nearly Happy New Year! Missed you all. It's been a crazy holiday but lovely too.

I'm on day two of getting back to normal food and yesterday had a mega detox headache, today a little better. I am also planning on starting the 6 week plan on the 2nd! I even pledged to do Veganuary too. My chocolate cravings and eatings have been out of control. Really looking forward to feeling back in control too. What did everyone do for their holiday?

Lisa that recipe looks amazing! Great that everyone liked it too.

Mihani, any break for you tomorrow?? Stess eating is an issue all of its own... I hear you on that one. Hopefully that getting my food right will help my stress cravings in the new year anyway. I will be here for support and accountability!!

What is everyone doing for nye?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Happy New Year pals!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Hi everyone - sorry for being MIA... Especially to you, Lia - December TOTALLY got away from me...

I know it's STILL December, but I'm going to lay out my plan & goals for January a day early, just 'cuz I wanna...

I started juicing again - today is day 3. I was WIPED OUT last night and went to bed at 10 (I never do that). I'm glad that right now I'm on holidays and I don't go to work until Monday, so I've got a few days to adjust before real life kicks in. I'm really going to give it my all this time around. I'm going to try my best to stick it out for a good 30 days - with my ultimate goal being 60 days if I can hack it.

I've already discovered that the juices are much tastier if I fill my glass with ice cubes. And I've started a journal (never done that before), so I can track what juices I've made, make notes about my progress - which recipes I like/dislike, and I plan to get a bunch of new recipes in there too from the website. I just need a few hours of free time first, because there's well over 100 recipes to go through!!

I haven't started workouts yet, but I will start either tomorrow or the next day. I'm going to do morning workouts on the treadmill, finally. But I'm also going to do Beachbody's CIZE program with my kids. We saw the informercial about a week ago and ordered it - my kids totally want to dance. :smile: So I said we could all do it together. That'll be fun. My brother is joining the adult swim club again, and I used to do that with him before and I enjoyed it, so I'm thinking about doing that again too. I haven't decided yet - I have to look at the swim schedule and make up my mind...

So that's my plan for January. Juice. Treadmill. Dancing. And maybe swimming.

I have some events coming up to keep me on track.
    Jan 22 - going to BC for my brother's wedding
    Feb 12 - going to Mexico for a family vacation
    Feb 23 - my 43rd birthday
    Mar ?? - my hubby will still take me to Vegas if I stick to this plan!! :smiley:

(if you recall, my hubby said he'd take me to Vegas if I lost 30 lbs before Dec 31st -- a goal that I did NOT meet...)

The 4 lb loss so far is a great motivator. I find it easy to juice at home. My hubby has promised to help with the food prep for the family so I don't have to be around food as much. I've also said that I'm not going out socially or to any movies in January so I don't have to watch people eat or smell any popcorn. I think that'll help.

Plus, when I do go out socially again, I'll be able to WOW 'em!! :wink:

• lisabinco
    I'm finally getting back on track. I got a FitBit so maybe that will help me step up to more exercise this year. It's on my phone and computer, synced to MFP, and is tracking now. The house has been cleared of crap food and that helps immensely! I'm just starting to feel better and yes, I too had a major detox down-day so I know I'm on the right track. My jeans are way too tight these days so I've gotta get serious.
    I've had my grandson with me for several days but fortunately he likes veggie burgers and bean soups and roasted root vegetables. He does have to eat more often than I do and of course I eat with him, so I've been eating healthy but way too much. I have dropped two pounds in spite of that, so 8 more to go. He goes back to mom on Friday and then I have another week to myself before hubby comes back from visiting family out west. I'd like to be back to feeling "normal" before I fly out to my mom's house for a visit in 3 weeks.
    My very short-term goal this month is to get back to my lowest weight of 2015 (132 pounds) and I'd like to do that in January.
    I'm still not into exercise and I have to admit I never will be; I never was before either. It would be nice if hubby were more inclined so we could do that together, but that won't happen either. While I know that exercise can really help me lose quicker, I'm incredibly lazy about it and the cold weather doesn't help. All I want to do is curl up with my knitting and a cup of tea!
    Happy 2016 to everyone!! I'm excited to start a new year. Whatever is out there in my future, I'm ready for it.
  • Mihani
    edited January 2016
    I just realized it has been over a year of the new ETL group after the original was accidentally deleted by the prior owner.

Lia, yay for the 6 week plan! I’m excited you’re going to be doing it too. I think it will help me stay on track and get through that first week, which is always toughest for me. Once I get through the first week I feel like okay that’s behind me, the next couple weeks are easier, then by the 4th week when I am feeling like temptations are growing stronger, I think hey I’ve stuck with it this long I can get through a few more weeks. Hope you have a fun NYE… I had dinner with my brother and we were going to watch a movie but I was tired and I plan to go to the office in the morning so we’re going to watch the movie another time.

Happy New Year Sabine!

Karrie, well done on starting juicing. It always seems like once you get on a roll there’s no stopping you so I think you’ll do great. I forgot about the Vegas trip. I’m sure you’re going to get there!

Lisa, I enjoyed my fitbit, sad it got lost. Good for you getting back at it without letting it get too far. I have now put on 20 pounds from where I was a couple years ago. I’m not happy, to put it mildly, and I really want to get back where I was. I figure the 6 week plan will get me most of the way there, and the discipline and healthy food will be really good for me after being all over the place lately.

I’ll get the new thread started.