Determined December: Week 4 Challenge Check-In (12/22-12/31)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
Welcome to Week 4 of the Determined December Challenge.

If you are new, feel free to hop right in and join us!

Here's a copy of our challenge blurb:
baconslave wrote: »
There's a statistic going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There's lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this type of year.

This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land. We're shooting for Determined December. Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Determined December is possible!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's mine for yesterday:
Monthly Goals:
To lose that rotten, stinkin, stubborn, no-good, malicious last half pound to goal weight by hitting the basics daily. Carbs under 50g total.
Three 1,000-cal fasts per week, and four maintenance calorie days, until I can hit my goal weight, 150, and stay there for an entire month. This is going to take me on past this month, but we have to start somewhere, right? :wink:
Be sparing with the alcohol, Jess. And plan for calories to be preposterous on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Start weight: 152.4 (Thanks for the lil' extra, TOM. Swell of you to think of me so fondly!)
Goal weight: 150 and to stay there.

Sunday, 11/29:

Water: 120/120oz check.jpg
Electrolytes Good: check.jpg
Logged Food: check.jpg
Exercise as Planned?: 60 min Dreadmill walk check.jpg
At or Under Carb Level: 37/50g total check.jpg
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! check.jpg
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! check.jpg
7/7

Weekly Trees of Christmas Awesomeness Collected:
tree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.gif

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    12/22
    SW 11/2 (started keto): 150.6; 12/1: 142.6
    CW: 137.8
    GW for December 31: Was 139.6.

My goals for December:
    Carbs: Kept to 20 net.
    Calories: 1350/day plus exercise calories: Right around.
    Logging and measuring daily--check
    Getting in exercise at least 3x/wk--Rest day yet again due to darn persistent sickness. Going to work out tomorrow though, at least a walk or yoga or something!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure which thread this really belongs in, but today for the first time I did something I NEVER thought I would do: bought pork rinds for a snack!
    This WOE is changing me. ;)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Had to smile @macchiatto! This woe does change us! Isn't it grand!?!
  • baconslave
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Also, I'm not sure which thread this really belongs in, but today for the first time I did something I NEVER thought I would do: bought pork rinds for a snack!
    This WOE is changing me. ;)

Pork rinds!!!
    I just pretend they are chips. They are great vehicles for all manner of delicious fatty dips, too.
    I'll post my boring update later. The kids have a playdate this morning after a library trip.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Summary 12.23
    SW 11.30.15 148.2
    CW: 149.0
    GW 144 (1.1.2016)

Water: OK.
    Logged Food: YES
    Exercise as Planned:NO
    At or Under Carb Level: Yes
    At or Under Calorie Limit: NO

Missed my run last night. Ended up getting some last minute gift cards.

Also had a fight with my BF - about food. When he comes over to my house, I usually make a nice LCHF dinner, protein and a veg. He is quasi on board with this WOE, he needs to lose about 100 pounds and I thought we could do this together. He will happily eat what I prepare then eat everything else too, when I'm not around. <sigh>

When I go over to his house, he insists on going to Wegman's and grabbing some pre-prepared grocery store crap. Last night it was some chicken that was breaded with some syrupy sauce all over it. Ug! He doesn't want to cook in his new place and doesn't want me to cook at his house. It's so funny, because before I started this I was the queen of microwave. Now, I prefer to buy organic meats and vegs. and make my own dinner at home. He bought what he wanted and I just went home to my place alone.
  • baconslave
    Options

Tuesday, 12/22:

Water: 120/120oz check.jpg
    Electrolytes Good: check.jpg
    Logged Food: check.jpg
    Exercise as Planned?: Strempf! check.jpg
    At or Under Carb Level: 48/50g total check.jpg
    At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! check.jpg
    Planned Day Ahead: Yes! check.jpg
    7/7

Weekly Trees of Christmas Awesomeness Collected:
    Week 4 haul:
    tree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.gif

I'll get the rest of my haul back up here later. So much busy.

• macchiatto
    Options
    12/23
    CW: 137.2

My goals for December:
    Carbs: 23gm net (goal is 20-30 net; I can't decide.)
    Calories: 12 under goal
    Getting in exercise at least 3x/wk--I really need to get back into the routine!!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    OK, I have to update, because I was hungry (and it's too late for me to edit). At least I didn't go too crazy with carbs. I've been trying to go for salty, spicy or sour foods when I'm craving sweets/carbs; something with plenty of flavor but not sweet.

12/23 update
    CW: 137.2

My goals for December:
    Carbs: 26gm net (goal is 20-30 net; I can't decide.)
    Calories: 139 over
    Getting in exercise at least 3x/wk--I really need to get back into the routine!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wonderful resilience @macchiato! The rare hungries build more strength for the next time! Good for you!
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hiya. Popping in because honestly I completely forgot to lol. But I have an update, so yay.

I startedbat 184.4 and yesterday I was 180.4

Just got home from work, so I won't weigh in until this afternoon. I wonder if I can be 5-6lb down by January 1st.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Wed Summary 12.24
    SW 11.30.15 148.2
    CW: ?
    GW 144 (1.1.2016)

Water: OK.
    Logged Food: YES
    Exercise as Planned: YES
    At or Under Carb Level: Yes
    At or Under Calorie Limit: YES!

( did my morning 2 miles! Yea. Didn't weigh in this morning, but I should be doing good. Getting out of work at noon today. Looks like a slow one.
    I've completed my list, haven't checked it yet. I think I'm good to go. Food is in fridge. Probably make the deviled eggs tonight. Just waiting for Santa! Yipppeee
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thank you, @Karlottap!
  • macchiatto
    edited December 2015
    Options
    12/24 summary
    CW: 137.8

My goals for December:
    Carbs: 28gm net (goal is 20-30 net; I can't decide.)
    Calories: 1 under :)
  • macchiatto
    Options
    12/25 summary
    All in all, not bad for Christmas Day (though not as good as Thanksgiving!). About 210 calories over (still below maintenance), 60gm net carbs (so double my goal).
    I did indulge in a small cinnamon roll at breakfast, one bite of DH's chocolate cream pie, and foolishly drank about 3 oz of the sparkling white grape juice everyone else had to drink (15gm carbs just in 3 oz!).

Otherwise I had great keto-friendly foods.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'll join in!

12/25
    SW 12/21 (started keto): 190
    CW: 183
    GW for December 31: 178
    Final GW 135

My goals for December:
    Carbs: 20 net carbs - under!
    Logging and measuring daily - done!
    Getting in exercise at least 3x/wk--walked outside 4 miles today!
    Water- 64 oz-- got in 88 oz!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Wow, @jyvonne27, you're doing great!
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks @macchiatto looks like you did really good for Christmas Day!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thank you!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Dec 26
    SW Oct 5: 140.4; Dec 3 128.1
    CW: 127.9
    GW for December 31: 126

My goals for December:
    Sugar: less than 10g daily. Check except Xmas
    Carbs: Kept to 50g net except xmas day 3 times that
    Calories: 1450/day plus exercise calories: Right around.
    Exercise insignificant which may explain flat line weight.

Chose to have Xmas choc toffees and choc coated coffee beans. Awake and unable to sleep after that.
    Ate 2200 calories, ie 50% more than normal and today I finally drop through 128 lb barrier of last 23 days. Odd!
    Back on track today.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    @SamandaIndia that is interesting! My body has done that to me a few times in the past, too: dropped weight after after a higher calorie/carb day.

I was happy to see my weight was exactly the same as yesterday and the strip says I'm still in ketosis!? Maybe because I'd just had an 11-hour overnight fast?