What motivates you to stay on track?

Options
13»

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I've struggled a lot over the years with motivation and have allowed real and not so real excuses derail me time and time again. This time I'm NOT going to do that!! I turn 50 next March. My husband is 72 years old. I need to be fit and healthy for myself and for him.

We also just booked a cruise for next February and this will be my first and I'm super excited and very motivated to get off at least 30 lbs. I know this will be very hard work and a lot of telling myself no when holidays roll around, but I'm going to do it!! I even purchased a swimsuit, maxi dress, and some cute tops a size smaller!! I haven't been in a swimsuit in over 20 years and I'm scared to death, but I have to do it. I want to walk hand in hand with my husband along a tropical beach knowing that I succeeded and not failed once again. I WILL do this!! :)

You definitely got the right attitude Teresa. You will definitely do this!!! :)
  • traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Farback.... Your alarm text is hilarious. I had one off day this week but so far the rest of the week has been ok. I am thinking about feeling better... Can't think of a better reason to be motivated...
  • vapeanut28
    vapeanut28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm only 16 down out of the 100 so we'll see how motivated I stay.

Short term motivation - cruise coming up in 5 weeks - would love to be down another 8-10 lbs.

Long Term Motivation - we moved into my inlaws house after they passed away last year. My MIL was heavy for as long as I've known her and now that I am living in her house I see her in me if that makes any sense. She never was very active but about 15 years ago her knees started going bad and had to be replaced. Because of her sedentary lifestyle she became an invalid and could barely maneuver even with a walker. I don't want to become that way. I saw first hand how limited her life was and I think living in her house amplifies it for me. I DO NOT want to be the fat lady sitting for hours at a time in the electric recliner in the sun room watching Jerry Springer because its too hard to move. I want to clean my own house, buy my own groceries, walk the dog, buy cute clothes that don't have an X in the size tag, go on cruises, etc etc.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Vapeanut, I understand where you are coming from. My family is full of every body type, but we specialize in fat, especially the ladies. I have seen how some ended up and that will not be me. If the memory of your MIL motivates you then you can look at changing your life so you don't end up like her as her legacy to you.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What motivates me are all the small sized clothes that I am now wearing that I spent a lot of $ on. I can't afford (nor do i want) to buy a new wardrobe in a larger size!
  • DaveThomas1901
    DaveThomas1901 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great posts on here :) As for me, I always try to enter a run to keep me focused in the few months ahead. Also looking forward to a holiday away helps ( not so good when away though :D ) I had two friends die from heart attacks in their forties, and their lifestyles weren't that different to mine then. My father died from a stroke many years ago also, so I try to keep fit and eat better ( sometimes ).
    If I'm feeling lazy I think of friends who through illness or injury are unable to do what I take for granted.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    This:

“Looking good is the best revenge.”

― Tony Curtis

Plus living a long healthy life never hurt anyone.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    My mom's scooter, don't want to go there.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    This:

“Looking good is the best revenge.”

― Tony Curtis

Plus living a long healthy life never hurt anyone.

It is better to log good than to feel good. - Fernando Lamas

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RTD7250II
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle. Plain and simple.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    My mom's scooter, don't want to go there.

I get this! My cousin's scooter was one of my main motivators when I restarted back in January 2014. So far, 75 pounds down. Not giving in to that lifestyle!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Slashmi, you are doing great. Letting others stand as warnings is as good a motivator as any.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    My Scottish ancestry.

2vjwg4qd6x4e.jpg
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Kirk you are really funny. I love your alarm clock too!

I've only been at most 30# overweight. But each time I lost it and got back in shape I felt younger, stronger, and more in control. Now at 60, I want to be as in shape and as healthy as I can for as long as I can. I've got 15# to go, and a lot of working out and nutritional balancing still to do. I just bought the Body Beast DVD which I'll do after I finish T25 (and gamma) and the 30 day shred.
    Shelby
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Shelby, you are awesome. I am still working on t25 alpha and thanks to my crappy knees I have to modify some moves even more than Tania the Modifier modifies them. Pivot lunges? Thanks, Shaun T! How are you doing with it?
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    My Scottish ancestry.

2vjwg4qd6x4e.jpg

LOL!!!!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OK, here goes. First, I am in awe of all the stories here and keep up the good work all! I was mostly thin all my life with a few exceptions...childbirth, etc. I quit smoking 3ish years ago. Wowee, everything tasted so good, I gained a pile of weight! I never owned a scale until my journey here so who knows how much weight I gained. I had a lot of medical problems and spent 6 months having tests to determine what was the problem. My aha moment was when I had an upper GI and had to lay on my HUGE belly. It hurt for days after!! I talked to my doc about it and she recommended MFP. 68 pounds down, here I am!
    PS I love the alarm clock!
    Oh, yeah, my mom died of lung cancer...the motivator to quit smoking. :(
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I think back to how miserable I felt physically and mentally in the years before I started. Don't ever want to go back there. If I'm not going forward I'll be going backwards. Works every time!

So true! Same here!