Rock Your Resolution: January Challenge, Week 1 (1/1-1/7)

Options

Replies

• flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    New Year 2016 - To shed as much of the 150 pounds I need to lose.
    "A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place"
    Weather it be spirit, soul, body, health, work, home or relationships.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm "leaning in" to family and friends this year.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm going "All In" this year!!!

This months focus is to eat Keto, and hopefully get fully adapted.
    Lose 10 lbs
    Exercise consistently
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Happy 2016!

Started 9 weeks of Couch to 5K on treadmill.

Get carbs back down to 20g.

Continue with Back to Basics LCHF.

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year, everyone!

I've been way off track since Thanksgiving, so my main goal for January is to get back on track and stick to under 40 carbs a day.

No sugar at all in January.

Yoga every day.

Clean or declutter something every day.

My goal for the year is to lose another 40 lbs and get to my goal of 148 by my July vacation. I want half that by the end of February. I know it's a lofty goal, but I figure I've got probably 10 lbs of holiday bloat, so hopefully 2 weeks of strict keto should have that off.

My last resolution is to spend more time on this board. I always do better when I check in here!
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My goals are to stick with weight training, Reduce my A1C, stick to 100 grams or less in carbs, and to make it to on-demand!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thinking of you, @baconslave!

January 3 summary
    SW: 150.6 (11/2, started keto)
    CW: 135.8
    GW for January (and beyond): Anywhere from 132-135 would be great. I plan to start strength training so I know the scale might bounce up 4 lbs or so. I'd love to get BF% to 24%.

Calories: 1313/1350
    Carbs: 24gm net (goal is under 20-30 net)
    Exercise: I did my first YAYOG workout (strength training)!

And a little diatribe: I wish there was a cheap, accessible way to accurately check BF%. I feel like mine is high but it's hard to tell b/c it's disproportionately distributed. SideSteel and Sara on the Eat Train Progress group (who are apparently experienced estimators) estimated my BF% at 28-29% even back when I was at 132 lbs about 2 years ago (at 5'7"), which was "goal weight" for me. My Tanita scale said mine was 40% a few months ago when I weighed 153 lbs and now is telling me it's at 31%. I don't think it's quite as high as the Tanita says but I just don't know. However, I do have calipers and when I did the 3-site method on myself yesterday it came up at only 24%! That would be amazing if it's true but I doubt it; I'd love to know for sure. I am truly flabby/have rolls in places and am on the verge of too skinny in my arms and calves. How much is DEXA scanning, anyway ... ? ;)

Hopefully strength training will help me with this, and with the midsection rolls that won't go away.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Just worked on declutter project. About half way through, and have a big bag of clothes to donate. Next project is to decide what needs to be altered and do it or donate it. I have about 10 items to decide on. Maybe 15. This might take me til Tuesday night. I'll report when done and figure out the next project.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    monday monday-

hope everyone is doing well-

• reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    JAN 3

SW: 247 (12/12, started keto)
    SW: 228.2 (Jan 1)
    CW: 227.2
    GW for January: 224
    GW for 12/31: 180
    Calories under 1200: yes
    Carbs Under 20: yes

I am becoming spoiled with this steady weight loss ... do you think it's because I have so MUCH to lose? Is my body saying..."Thanks, keep it up and I'll show you how good we can be." ??? ;)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It could be that you could increase your calories and still lose at a steady rate.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @baconslave Thoughts sent your way!

Well I have failed miserably on one of my goals, avoiding the scale, mainly because it is still sitting in my bathroom. (note to self, throw it out the window!) but I was down this morning and I can't say that I wasn't tickled to death and considering hugging the stupid scale since I have lost 2.8lbs since Jan 1st. Although I don't know why the scale needs my adoration since I am the one doing all of the work.
    Otherwise I am on point with all my other goals (except the gym but I plan on remedying that situation tomorrow.) If it isn't too busy at work today, I may go walk around the station parking lot for a bit then swipe a dumb bell and do some goblet squats. Low carb is going great under 20 every day so far. Evidently 20 or less is my magic number for loss and I'm ok with that. I have been super thirsty so water has not been a problem.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    My resolutions for 2016:
    ~ Transition to maintenance by the end of the year.
    ~ Live with intention and mindfulness in my parenting, marriage, other relationships, health, and finances.
    ~ Continue to learn and improve my skills in my profession.

With these resolutions in mind, my goals for January are as follows:

Health:
    ~ Keep my carbs under 40g each day (with occasional allowances for special occasions).
    ~ Track 8,000 steps per day and complete at least 10 minutes of cardio, resistance, or stretching each day (I'm aiming for more like 20 minutes per day, but as many of y'all know my life is pretty hectic).

Mindfulness and Intention:
    ~ Put the phone/tablet/whatever down and be present with my husband and kids when I'm home; also pick up the phone or tablet and call or video chat with friends and family--I'd like to have at least one such interaction per week.
    ~ Spend 10 minutes at least twice a day on some sort of deliberate mindfulness practice, one of which will be keeping a gratitude journal.
    ~ Do meal planning and grocery shopping each weekend to minimize expenses on fast food and takeout due to "there's-nothing-in-the-house-to-eat-itis" and to improve my family's health.

Professional Development:
    ~ Complete at least one educational or training experience per week to expand my professional knowledge and skills. This will likely be in the form of reading/audiobooks and watching online videos of lectures/workshops, but if real life lectures and workshops are available and I can afford them I'll do that instead. I still need 18 continuing education units to submit to the board before October, but I also feel incredibly alive/excited/present when I'm learning and developing professionally.

Whew, that seems like a lot! But I can't think of a single one I want to eliminate, so here goes nothin! :smiley:
  • jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm breaking my resolutions down into bite-sized pieces this year. In January, I obviously want to get back on my eating plan. All the holiday carbs made me feel awful!

I also resolve to do my PT exercises twice daily, meditate or sit quietly for 5 minutes each day, and record a daily gratitude.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    JAN 4th Monday

SW: 150.0
    CW: 150.0
    GW for January: 5 pounds
    Calories Goal Met: yes
    Carbs, Macros Met: yes
    Exercise - Will do. C25K

After a less than stellar end of 2015, I'm restarting. I allowed at least a 3-5 pound gain back over the holidays. I've come back down to 150.0 so that is going to be my new start. Started fully yesterday and today is going well. Hoot! I'm back!
  • adeleearls
    adeleearls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Begin for the LAST time. Make sure I am fit and healthy and here to stay to be able to see my kids grow up. Weight loss goal: 70 lbs. Exercise goal: Complete a 5K or longer distance each month.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Jan. 4, 2016. It's your dream...make it happen!!
    After a prolonged carb rampage, I'm
    back... Determined!!

I lost a bit of ground over the holidays.
    I did, however, manage to reach my
    30#, "New Years Eve" goal, which began
    on October 1st. Thankful!!!!

I've jumped back on this wagon and I will
    be riding it out, for my next 30#, "April Fools"
    goal ☺ My best wishes to y'all, on your 2016!!!!

I'm not perfect, but I've just got keep going forward!!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Thinking of you, @baconslave!

January 3 summary
    SW: 150.6 (11/2, started keto)
    CW: 135.8
    GW for January (and beyond): Anywhere from 132-135 would be great. I plan to start strength training so I know the scale might bounce up 4 lbs or so. I'd love to get BF% to 24%.

Calories: 1313/1350
    Carbs: 24gm net (goal is under 20-30 net)
    Exercise: I did my first YAYOG workout (strength training)!

And a little diatribe: I wish there was a cheap, accessible way to accurately check BF%. I feel like mine is high but it's hard to tell b/c it's disproportionately distributed. SideSteel and Sara on the Eat Train Progress group (who are apparently experienced estimators) estimated my BF% at 28-29% even back when I was at 132 lbs about 2 years ago (at 5'7"), which was "goal weight" for me. My Tanita scale said mine was 40% a few months ago when I weighed 153 lbs and now is telling me it's at 31%. I don't think it's quite as high as the Tanita says but I just don't know. However, I do have calipers and when I did the 3-site method on myself yesterday it came up at only 24%! That would be amazing if it's true but I doubt it; I'd love to know for sure. I am truly flabby/have rolls in places and am on the verge of too skinny in my arms and calves. How much is DEXA scanning, anyway ... ? ;)

Hopefully strength training will help me with this, and with the midsection rolls that won't go away.

I don't know much about the DEXA scans, so I'm no help there. I do know that Tanita can be finicky at times. Also body fat will sometimes register higher if you do it " dry", first thing in the morning on a Tanita.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I put on about 5 lbs over the holidays, so starting anew. I thought I could get my keto back on while I was home over Christmas/New Years, but it was not to be. Back to work today and starting again now. Will take a few days to get back to feeling good. I definitely noticed joint pain, trouble sleeping (snoring) while not on keto, and I was also drinking some alcohol every evening.

CW: 171
    GW: 148 (by my 50th birthday in November)

The big goal for me is to be consistent! I do well for several months, but when I fall off the wagon, I tend to fall hard and for extended periods. As I've mentioned before, my birthday is right before Thanksgiving, so November, December and January are always my downfall.

I see it as a huge accomplishment to have only gained 5 lbs this year, as that will be gone again once I am truly in keto mode! I know what to do, just need to do it.

Goals for the year:
    1. Check in and log food every day
    2. Have one major physical event, that requires training, scheduled every quarter (long distance bike or run) - first one is Chilly Hilly bike ride, late February (33 miles and 3000 ft elevation gain)
    3. Be kind and patient with my husband and children
    4. Keep carbs less than 40 most days
    5. Lose the last 23 lbs I have and determine a comfortable maintenance weight!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    How much is DEXA scanning, anyway ... ? ;)

Depends on where you are and how many places are available probably. There's one place in my area (raleigh/durham area in North Carolina, USA) that I'm aware of, I think I paid $75 when I got one a few months ago.