Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• HedgeHaug
    HedgeHaug Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It is terrific meeting you all!

Hi, I'm Maggs. I started on MFP back in 2011, I think. My entire life, I avoided high fat, high protein anything. Just the way I was raised. AND I was ALWAYS HUNGRY! I accidently came across LCHF, and strangely, I embraced it.

Hobbies: motorcycle riding and painting
    Family: 4 dogs, 3 horses, 9 barn cats and 1 wife
    Job: RN and volunteer Licensed Paramedic
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Kathie, it sounds as if some treatments for your pain are at least giving you the opportunity to participate in family activities! Sounds like some wonderful memories were made! Best of luck with the Botox. I've been getting it for migraines for about 15 years now.

@Jane!!! Wonderful news about your lab work! I'm so glad you got some good news! Sorry, I'm not educated about intermediate lipoproteins!

@Maggs, welcome to our circle of friends! My, you've got some furbabies to care for too!! So glad you're here!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    kj4jfu9epqt5.jpeg
    Quick picture from my walk on the frozen river yesterday. I was just turning in at the creek here. I love walking on the river in the winter. After this walk, I drank a cup of bone broth.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Beautiful picture Janice! Wish we could get some snow here, but is a crap shoot every winter. If we don't hold our tongues just right, lol, it passes us by! We are finally getting some colder temps (upper 20s F tonight!) here! Will be just cold enough to kill all of the bushes that have gone to flowering the past couple of weeks! Oh well! So goes winter in the deep south, U.S.!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Kit that is so pretty. We never get snow here in Alabama. Yesterday y'all I ordered a large sausage, onion, and green pepper pizza. Ate all of the toppings and fed the crust to the dog, he was happy. Just waiting on the 18th to come around to start my new job.
  • HedgeHaug
    Options
    Oh, terrific, @krazyforyou ! What wonderful endeavor do you have on your new job list? Even though I don't
    know you, I have pictured you as a writer, poet, or surfer (something the rest of us average jo's would never try)!
    @Karlottap I have fur babies to replace those lovely babies that I never had! I send all of you mommies
    and grandmommies green carnations for the warm spot on your chest that your children have left there....smiling warmly...
    Janice, what a lovely, lovely, beautiful world in which you live! I want to bury my fingers in the snow until they ache and my tears burn my cheeks!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    LOL, you ladies are quite funny ! That picture isn't the best. The day was getting late already, and this is so ordinary, although most people don't venture down to the water like I do. When I came upon that spot where the creek flows into the river, I noticed all the footprints of the people who had come before me. They actually walked through slush, pretty brave when the river is still freezing and I was skeptical if it was frozen enough to hold me safely. Walking across a frozen lake is much prettier, especially when you can see through the clear ice into the lake below. Even the river was prettier, with most of the snow untouched by human of canine feet. I did note quite a few cross country ski trails across the river. Not sure if I'd chance walking across yet.

We have lots of snow here, come and visit ! I do find it beautiful too, but most people here get tired of it. We are having quite a mild winter so far though, so it's perfect for walking outdoors. I did spend three Christmases down south on vacation while in high school, twice in Florida and once in Texas...wow got such a sunburn in Texas ! We drove from Manitoba. It was interesting to see the snow disappear as we drove further south. However, on one trip, there was snow in Georgia, and we found it amusing watching the southerners try to figure out how to drive through it ! No offence to my friends in the south ! I did like Texas, it's sort of like Manitoba but further south, rugged and unpretentious, with some wild weather in the summer and lots of sunshine, being located far from oceans. And the barbeque was good. We do get some pretty warm temperatures in the summer, but not as hot as you. We have 4 distinct seasons here.

Oh I meant to say @Maggs, I used to be an artist, went to art school, did my thesis in ceramic sculpture, but did a lot of drawing, not as much painting. When I walk through the snow I think about how I would paint it. There are many variations in colour, from blues in the shadows, to yellows where the sun hits it. And it does twinkle and sparkle in the right light. We've had lots of snow on the boughs of trees, but with the strong wind today, much of it has been swept away. I'll try to get more pictures next time it snows, or next time we have frost.
  • HedgeHaug
    Options
    Janice, painting the snow....I love that. I remember a Christmas snow here in Texas maybe 10 years back. We got up in the middle of the night and made snow angels in every yard!
    My little poodle had snow balls stuck in her puffs and her expression was priceless...it said, "Mo om!" When she shook her feet, I imagined the balls of snowy ice ringing like bells!
    Good night, all! Sleep tight!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Maggs, I remember that Christmas with "snow"! It was 2004 (my baby sister was home on furlough from federal prison. Very long story there), and we had enough to call it snow on Christmas day! Wow! You sparked some memories there!
    It's 28 F this morning! The changes in temperatures keep everyone sick around here too! We don't get adjusted to one temp before it changes again! My plan is to just stay inside, warm!

Have an awesome day everyone!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi all and welcome Maggs!
    Janice.....you and your snow pics are just making me loooonngggg even more for snow! The in laws are leaving tomorrow for 5 weeks in Istanbul....may not come back!! Hehehe BUT they have snow there!! The temptation to go is so strong! I have seen postcards of snow there and it looks amazing! No chance yet though! Hubby is about to be transformed in ether a suave TV guy or a quivering wreck! Lolol He has been asked to go onto a 'ladies' daytime program to talk about our chocolate products....we print directly onto the chocs if you remember and he makes different things like the iphone and laptop....and its happening on thursday morning!! Should be good for business!!
    Karen I love your restraint! Maybe getting a dog is a good idea,lol. Cant wait to hear how your new job goes when you start. You work in cardiac care dont you? Do you know anything about intermediate density lipoproteins......or anyone else for that matter???? Still trying to find out if they are goodies or baddies!
    Hope you are all staying warm wherever you are! It was glorious here....around 26C and a nice fresh breeze. Sadly the countdown is on to the higher and higher temps so I, trying to get out and enjoy it while I can!!!
  • HedgeHaug
    Options
    Jane, Complex explanation:
    Very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL's, triglyceride transporters from our gut and liver to muscles and our "fat"), degrade into "intermediate lipoproteins".
    Intermediate lipoproteins, like all lipoproteins, are fat transporters, differentiated by how well they float. Some Intermediate lipoproteins then degrade
    into LDL's (Booo! BAD!!), low-density lipoproteins that transport cholesterol to tissues other than our liver...too many of the LDL's floating around in our
    blood, taxiing cholesterol, can lead to coronary artery disease and atherosclerosis.

I believe their significance is that high triglycerides (carried by VLDL's)=intermediate lipoproteins from VLDL's breakdown, which then=more LDL's
    (carrying cholesterol) from intermediate lipoprotein breakdown=heart disease. "Me thinks that triglycerides should be the focus of all heart disease discussions, yes?"

Really simplified and possibly not perfectly accurate:
    increased triglycerides>>>increased intermediate lipoprotein transportation/breakdown>>>>increased LDL's>>>>increased cholesterol in blood>>>>heart disease.
    Yea!!!! And the crowd roars!!!!!! SCORE!!!
  • HedgeHaug
    Options
    Jane, I should also say intermediate density lipoproteins transport all types of triglycerides and cholesterol, also. They also help Atheros
    grow into atherosclerosis. What I am not sure of, is if they lead to unstable plaques or stable plaques in the blood vessels.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Gilly, am 55 an have been on LCHF for two days now, I did it several years ago and it worked well but now with the extra challenge of hot flushes and night sweats it's going to be a bumpy ride! I am in NSW Australia
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hi Gilly! Welcome to the group! The Launch Pad, located at the top of the group forum page is an awesome resource for anyone wanting to be successful with this woe (way of eating)! Many questions can be answered there! But don't hesitate to ask when you need to! Best wishes for great success to you!
  • HedgeHaug
    Options
    Hi Gilly! Good morning, wonderful people! Off to work for me!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hope it's a wonderful day Maggs!

I'm faced with a dilemma! The last time I worked I had an aura to a migraine that I've never experienced before. I'm fortunate to be an RN with a very stress free job. I get people ready for surgery, or I recover them post op and send them home. Not hard at all! Anyway, I was recovering my last patient of the day, and I lost about twenty minutes of time, that I can't remember (NOT a good thing, was fortunate the patient was stable! Eeek!)! I now realize I experienced disorientation that I didn't recognize at the time, then had the worst migraine I've had that I can recall! I've consulted with my neurologist and he recommends a preventative medication (darn it!). (Just know, the safety of my patients is most important here, for me!!) I had eliminated Lisinopril 10mg a few months back, and it's on the lists as a preventative for migraine, so I'm going to restart this (I don't recall negative side effects, maybe it was helping prevent migraines and I didn't realize it!?). I was so excited when I was able to eliminate this medicine! Bummer!

My auras have always been light flashes, and blindness in one eye, never the disoriented feeling I had, or lost time! I will be informing my co-workers of this event so maybe if it ever happens again (I hope not!) They may recognize it, and have my back! I really want to be able to work, but I won't put a patient in jeopardy just to make a paycheck.

The scale is lying again since my clothing fits loose! It's a good thing I've learned not to base my motivation on that stupid number! I don't like it though! Ha!

I have been weaning myself off of Protonix for the past week and a half. I got some great advice from @Dragonwolf in another thread (that I apparently hijacked! So sorry to @marlamp10 for that!) that's helped tremendously! I use Apple cider vinegar (2 tbsp) in 12 ounces of water if I get heartburn (haven't had to use it for two days now, before that it was once a day). I've been able to stretch the time between taking the Protonix to four days, as of today, and don't think I will need it today! Will evaluate that if the tummy pain returns, but so far, so good!

I feel too good to ever eat any other way! Rock on peeps! Lol!
  • ibelieveinlowcarb
    ibelieveinlowcarb Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Started reading all the threads and they were from last year. All good. Fast forward to this last thread I think.
    New to this site but my I think everyone is so positive and I want to stay.
    Started this way of eating Dec 30. I officially retired Dec. 31. Yeah!!!!!! But pre retirement meant a lot of eating daily at work. Catered lunches, subs, chocolates too much coffee and oh did I say lots of chocolate????
    Anyways, that is all behind me and away I go.
    Home retired :) in my seventh day. The house is a mess, the dog is hungry and i need to clean
    up. Got up early to take my gd off to school an half hour away. Did some shopping and home to look at the paper. Common thread is like......squirrel?.....So i shall try to focus.:)
    I started at 225 and read the ruledme site and off I went. I have calculated the carbs and calories etc with the keto calculator. Seems that 1545cals per day is a lot. I am used to 600 or a bit more to diet. (never worked, don't worry) Well......it is working. As long as I drink all my water and i mean lots 4 litres a day. hard to get her in but doable. Only because I am at home near the loo. I made fat bombs but kinda yucky. What I do is measure and read and get it all in. I have had a day of not getting all the fat quotient and calories but couldn't get one more bit in. Love cooking so and going to try to crock pot it today and have leftovers. I think that less time being in the kitchen is good for me. Just right now.
    I believe that I am in ketosis and love the fat bomb coffee in the morning. Very yummy and filling. Exercise is a thought right now and the treadmill is being dusted off.Love to ramble on but I wish everyone luck and have fun. This I figure is just part of my life and will try to not let it consume me.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Welcome to our little group of ladies (some of us aren't actually over 50 yet (picture me holding on to the ledge by my fingernails, lol!))! We like to use first names, when we know them, in this thread, if you'd like to share yours (you don't have to though! :smiley: )! It seems to make thing a bit cozy. It sounds like you have a handle on this woe and are already celebrating success over food! The wonderful food we eat makes us feel like we are overeating, after the starvation it took to lose a few pounds with the sad way! Congratulations on your retirement too! That's awesome! :smiley:
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Welcome new Ladies ! I am Janice, I'm 53 and live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies & welcome to the newbies. I think I have to shoot the driver of my 'wagon', the darn thing backed over me again, lol. But it was only 1 meal & I'm right back on track again. Took my daughter to a 50's diner last night. She was so excited, amazing how something so little can get a 20 yr old so worked up! A shake, burger, & onion rings was way off plan! Went to chiropractor today & posted prominently on her wall was an article on BPC. We discussed LCHF & she was all for it. She even mentioned my back acting up again could be from straying from this WOE during December. It was so great not having to defend my eating & actually having her support. She told me to keep doing the mild exercises I've started (finally!) and things should improve. Exercise is really not my favourite thing, but it's been quite awhile since I've even been tempted to try, so I'll keep going (hopefully, lol).
    Oh, for our newcomers, I'm Kathie, 51, & from northern Saskatchewan, Canada.