Rock Your Resolution: January Challenge, Week 1 (1/1-1/7)

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Starting Weight: 138.2 lbs on 1/1
    Overall Scale Goal: 125 lbs (hoping by late Spring)

WoE Goals / Life Goals:
    Write - Sitting down to write every day is the key!
    Hydrate - I adjusted my water goal (based on my weight) to 67oz/day.
    Step goals - 5,000 steps per day (moderate challenge based on my lifestyle)
    Activity - Some form of "going out of my way to not sit still." I want to get back to bodyweight strength training, so hopefully I report a lot of that. Basic stuff is just "park far away" (but now that the temperature is dropping even that will be extra effort!).
    Logging - Logging my weight and my food daily. I almost brushed off logging food this month because I'm following the Ketovangelist's meal plan, but it would feel weird to have such a gap in my data.
    Daily NSVs - Making unique affirmations about the changes I see as a result of this WOE so I don't focus on the scale.

Tuesday, Jan 5:
    [√] Write
    [√] Hydrate: 136/67
    [√] Step goals: 6,249/5,000
    [√] Activity: Parking Far Away, Foundation Training
    [√] Logging: Weight (138.2), Macros C/F/P (2%/81%/17%)
    [√] Daily NSVs: holy cripes, guys, I just realized yesterday that my BMI is in the 'normal' range now! I don't put a lot of stock in BMI as an accurate measure of anything that matters, but now I know that as long as I Keto On, I will have achieved one of my goals, which was to not have "weight issues" silently checked off on my next annual exam report, which isn't even until April. :o I guess I put a little stock in BMI... but it's still really about the doctor considering me overweight. :P Wonder if she'll say anything. She never told me I needed to lose weight, I just noticed the tick mark on my yellow copy last year (which was actually ticked by the technician that saw me first), but that sealed my determination (I was already LCHF for a few weeks at that point, iirc).

Last night we made the chicken nugget recipe from Ketovangelist's January Keto Recovery Meal Plan. VERY tasty, but a LOT of work. I started at 5:30 and didn't eat until 8pm!

Oh, oh! did I mention? My dad is now eating low carb, too (at least for dinner)! I think he just likes being included, but he did say he wants to lose around 10 pounds. Before the holidays his plan was just to cut out SOME bread (we tried a few different LC pizza crusts as a family activity one weekend - Fathead still wins). Now that I'm cooking dinner for him, I'm super curious what he's eating the other two meals of the day. He added some multi-grain crackers to the Caveman Chili I made the other day, but just a handful.

And mom is trying my levels of carbs. She ate cashews for lunch yesterday, though, instead of the leftovers I had planned for her. I know cashews were probably fine considering she replaced a whole meal with them, but I don't want to give her the option to 'wing it' just yet, because she doesn't quite know the carb culprits. Today she's meeting a friend for brunch so we talked about how to order her omelet for maximum benefit. She asked if she should just have a salad with steak but I told her no, the omelet has more nutrition (and cheese!).

Husband says he's constantly hungry. Thankfully he's been snacking on cheese, but I still worry that slow carbing it will never work for him. His mind seems in a better place, though, so I'm keeping my critical trap shut and just enjoying the Ketovangelist's podcasts, where at least Brian W can say what I'm thinking. ;)

As for me, the scale has been creeping up the past couple of days. What else has been creeping? Extra coffee with cream (it's been COLD and the steamed heavy cream just feels so good). Cutting out the cream from my coffee again and I expect that to reverse. But hell, my weight is 'creeping up' and I'm still way down from where I was this time last month. Love it!

Oh! And I ordered cricket flour and will be trying that in a fathead pizza crust instead of almond flour on Friday. I want to try roasting crickets but I don't know if I trust the quality at the only source of crickets I'm aware of: the pet store.

That's pretty cool that your family is giving it a try and having some success!

And I wanna hear how the cricket flour goes!! I am so curious...
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    JAN 6th Wednesday Checkn in.

SW: 150.0
    CW: 150.0
    GW for January: 5 pounds
    Calories Goal Met: A bit over yesterday
    Carbs, Macros Met: Nope, shooting for 20g, ended up at 79g. Will fix that.
    Exercise - Didn't do treadmill, but ended up walking around quite a bit shopping.

Nothing budging on the scale so far this week but I'm wearing slacks that I used to wear all the time and they are falling off me. I forgot a belt this morning, so I'm wearing a ribbon I found in my desk from a holiday gift just to keep my pants up! I'm thankful it was long and sturdy enough. HAHA.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    May I jump in, I know I'm late...

January Goals:

Goal #1: brush my teeth after each meal at least 5 times a week.
    Goal #2: work out twice a day at least 3 days a week
    Goal #3: save money: no eating out other then on a work weekend (because I overspent last month so badly), cook with the meat that's frozen in my freezer, make my own coffee, avoid buying new clothing.
    Goal #4: avoid dairy, kind of broke it these last two days with a piece of cheese, but now that it's gone, no more cheeses for me until the end of the month.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

And I wanna hear how the cricket flour goes!! I am so curious...

I'll definitely report back!
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    JAN 6

SW: 247 (12/12, started keto)
    SW: 228.2 (Jan 1)
    CW: 224.8
    GW for January: 224 (need to adjust this one :) )
    GW for 12/31: 180
    Calories under 1200: yes
    Carbs Under 20: NO

I found out today what eating one piece of Cordial Cherry candy does for me. I've been hungry all day. Cravings for cream cheese (good) and for junior bacon cheeseburgers.(not so good) All my numbers were good EXCEPT carbs. Guess I'll find out shortly what result today has ... oh well, keto on. :/
  • Adylia16
    Adylia16 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My new year's resolution (that I will stick to cause I got engaged over new years!):

1. Lose 40kg (half of my goal)
    2. Try to keep to 40% total carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein
    3. Walk! There is a lake nearby that is an hour to walk around.
    4. Meditate, take up crafts and RELAX.
    5. Log as much as I can and get a 365 day streak on MFP.
    6. Save up for the wedding!

Good luck to everyone on your resolutions! Very inspiring!
  • glossbones
    Options
    Starting Weight: 138.2 lbs on 1/1
    Overall Scale Goal: 125 lbs (hoping by late Spring)

WoE Goals / Life Goals:
    Write - Sitting down to write every day is the key!
    Hydrate - I adjusted my water goal (based on my weight) to 67oz/day.
    Step goals - 5,000 steps per day (moderate challenge based on my lifestyle)
    Activity - Some form of "going out of my way to not sit still." I want to get back to bodyweight strength training, so hopefully I report a lot of that. Basic stuff is just "park far away" (but now that the temperature is dropping even that will be extra effort!).
    Logging - Logging my weight and my food daily. I almost brushed off logging food this month because I'm following the Ketovangelist's meal plan, but it would feel weird to have such a gap in my data.
    Daily NSVs - Making unique affirmations about the changes I see as a result of this WOE so I don't focus on the scale.

Wednesday, Jan 6:
    [√] Write
    [√] Hydrate: 74/67
    [√] Step goals: 6,079/5,000
    [√] Activity: Parking Far Away, Foundation Training, Bodyweight exercises
    [√] Logging: Weight (138.6), Macros C/F/P (6%/63%/31%)
    [√] Daily NSVs: I thought my butt was losing it's curvy shape, but yesterday I got a view of it in the mirror and realized it's not my butt getting flat, it's just that my clothes are hanging off me. :D

Noticed an ice cream carton in the trash yesterday. Guess dad is writing his own program. :P

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    My resolutions for 2016:
    ~ Transition to maintenance by the end of the year.
    ~ Live with intention and mindfulness in my parenting, marriage, other relationships, health, and finances.
    ~ Continue to learn and improve my skills in my profession.

With these resolutions in mind, my goals for January are as follows:

Health:
    ~ Keep my carbs under 40g each day (with occasional allowances for special occasions).
    ~ Track 8,000 steps per day and complete at least 10 minutes of cardio, resistance, or stretching each day (I'm aiming for more like 20 minutes per day, but as many of y'all know my life is pretty hectic).

Mindfulness and Intention:
    ~ Put the phone/tablet/whatever down and be present with my husband and kids when I'm home; also pick up the phone or tablet and call or video chat with friends and family--I'd like to have at least one such interaction per week.
    ~ Spend 10 minutes at least twice a day on some sort of deliberate mindfulness practice, one of which will be keeping a gratitude journal.
    ~ Do meal planning and grocery shopping each weekend to minimize expenses on fast food and takeout due to "there's-nothing-in-the-house-to-eat-itis" and to improve my family's health.

Professional Development:
    ~ Complete at least one educational or training experience per week to expand my professional knowledge and skills. This will likely be in the form of reading/audiobooks and watching online videos of lectures/workshops, but if real life lectures and workshops are available and I can afford them I'll do that instead. I still need 18 continuing education units to submit to the board before October, but I also feel incredibly alive/excited/present when I'm learning and developing professionally.

Whew, that seems like a lot! But I can't think of a single one I want to eliminate, so here goes nothin! :smiley:

I think I bit off more than I could reasonably chew.... like my 1-year-old son who crams so much food into his mouth that he can barely move his jaw to chew any of it. Ummm...

Carbs Under 40: Yes.
    8,000 Steps: Not a single time this week.
    Workout: Only once in the past week.
    Technology-Free Evenings: Improved but not perfect.
    Communicating with Loved Ones: Skyped with my mom (and dad popped in for a minute too)! :)
    Mindfulness: I'm only stealing moments here and there, but I did write 3 gratitude entries in my journal this week.
    Meal Planning/Shopping: This one is a win! I love homecooked meals. :)
    Prof Dev: I'm listening to an audiobook on trauma treatment, and I completed a CEU online earlier this week.

As of today I weigh exactly 1 pound less than I did on the 1st, and today is a new low!
    SW: 174.8
    CW: 173.8
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    OMG! The first week of this new year is gone!
    I'm loving the number of people here! Your determination inspires me!

My size 14 DKNY jeans are getting loose despite no scale movement!

I'm continuing to trust the process, because it works! Health can be achieved, even when the scale is being a liar!

@glossbones, looks like dad has gone rogue! Lol!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    JAN 7th Thursday Checkn in.

CW: ? (didn't weigh in this morning)

Calories Goal Met: A bit over again yesterday

Carbs, Macros Met: Nope. I had a Starbucks Chai Tea Latte yesterday. After I entered it in MFP it threw my carb count crazy. A venti is listed as 56g? Yikes. It's friggn tea or so I thought. I went to Teavana and picked up Maharaja Chai Oolong. Drinking it now, plain, no milk, no sugar. Tastes Yummy. Getting my Chai fix that way from now on.
    Exercise - Didn't do treadmill, (again), so much for my NY's resolution of C25K. Did it twice and that was it. It's already Thursday?? Ug.
  • glossbones
    Options
    He certainly has! And I'm sure he'd return to his ice cream as soon as he lost the 10 pounds that is his goal, so I'm wiping my hands of it. It's fine if he wants to eat our meals, and I don't even have to warn him that he shouldn't eat both ways, because my mom has told him several times (YES!).
  • mimishat
    mimishat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2016...
    • Lose the jiggle (aka: build more muscle/decrease body fat)
    • Lower carb intake to 50g/day or less (gotta start somewhere)
    • Log all food intake
    • Hit the gym 5 days per week
  • sheiladurnil
    sheiladurnil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get my keto in the fat burning range... really tried to watch what I ate yesterday and still was only barely a trace on the stick this morning... scale is still dropping and I am still stomping out sugar... so my goal is to be in the 40-85g of carbs after fiber... is this realistic?

Also, my goals are to drop 80 pounds, exercise more regularly, drink more water, eat less than 100 carbs daily (less than 40-80 after fiber)

Looking forward to this challenge... thanks for setting it up!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    1. Stay 30 net carbs most days, truly special occasions 50-70. Check! We even went out with friends for sushi and I was going to let myself move up on carbs that evening but found I didn't need to. I had two bites of sushi and a seared tuna/avocado salad and made it under 30.
    2. Hopefully lose ten pounds. Lost .6 this week so moving in the right direction at least.
    3. Make exercise a major priority. 3 times a week minimum. I signed up for online Barre3 classes and have done two with one planned for tonight, plus a couple of walks this week. Barre3 seems kind to my rheumatoid arthritis so hopefully I can keep up the workouts!
    4. Decluttering my home. I'm taking the tree down tonight. Otherwise not much progress.
    5. Make an effort to be more social. We had the sushi night/holiday gathering with close friends this week.

So far some progress has been made toward each goal this weeks so I'm happy! :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    JAN 7th Thursday Checkn in.

CW: ? (didn't weigh in this morning)

Calories Goal Met: A bit over again yesterday

Carbs, Macros Met: Nope. I had a Starbucks Chai Tea Latte yesterday. After I entered it in MFP it threw my carb count crazy. A venti is listed as 56g? Yikes. It's friggn tea or so I thought. I went to Teavana and picked up Maharaja Chai Oolong. Drinking it now, plain, no milk, no sugar. Tastes Yummy. Getting my Chai fix that way from now on.
    Exercise - Didn't do treadmill, (again), so much for my NY's resolution of C25K. Did it twice and that was it. It's already Thursday?? Ug.

The Maharaja chai is so very good. I like it iced plain and hot with a tiny splash of cream! :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @sheiladurnil, keto levels of low carb are normally at 50 gm carbs a day, or less. You can flirt with ketosis at higher levels, but you won't be in ketosis 24 hours a day,plus, the fast from supper to breakfast can get make your body produce ketones (hence the small amounts seen on the strips). To get into, and stay in, ketosis I recommend that level. If you're feeling good at the higher level, stick with that a bit and see how your weight loss does (if that's your main goal). If you're going keto for health reasons, by all means, drop the carbs on down for best results, imo!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My goal for January was to lose the 9lbs/4kg I gained between Christmas and New Year. I had decided that I would enjoy myself (within reason and as long as blood glucose didn't go awry) and avoid the scale. Still... yuck, January 2 was a shock!!

I didn't even went crazy, just had some traditional homemade desserts (no cakes) but that still meant a small quantity of wheat and corn flour, sweet potatoes, some sugar and regular chocolate (not my usual 85-99% choices). I blame the wheat and corn flour, it was the first time I had it in more than a year. Lesson learned, my body still hates the stuff.

On the plus side, I kept checking my blood glucose and my pancreas has recovered from the previous diabetic damage: even Christmas and New Year's meals (by far the worst changes from my woe) didn't get me in the diabetic range! Actually, as usual, some people (non diabetic) asked to check their numbers and most had worse numbers than I did!

Strict keto and IF 16:8 since then made me lose all that carbage water retention plus 1 lb in less than a week. I'm very, very happy about how fast I've recovered. :)

Updated plans for the rest of January: keep on track and learn more about the benefits of IF, I'm really enjoying this first try!

• raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if I missed our weigh in day if there is one but here mine for the week
    SW: 214
    CW: 208
    GW: 160
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am pretty disciplined as far as logging, staying in a deficit, exercising, and staying <20 grams of carb per day. However, I do get very discouraged when the scale does not move and my discipline seems not to pay off. I tend to forget that my main reason for staying low carb is that it relieves my knee inflammation most of the time.

So, my goal for January is to exercise patience with myself because the pounds will come off as long as I am eating at a deficit.
    My major goal is to lose 15 pounds because that will put me under 200. I hope I can make that by summer.

Connie

End of the week check in:
    Logging: yes
    Deficit : yes
    Exercise: yes
    Carbs: <20 yes

Patience? No I am convinced I must be doing something wrong. My weight has been bouncing between 215-216 for well over 4 weeks now.

Discouraged: yes/no I know the scale is evil, and since I am fitting into a smaller size dress pant and jeans, I must be doing something right.

**Should I increase carb level a tad to get the scale to move regularly?**
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My goals:
    -Drop the 10lbs I gained over the holidays by the end of January.
    -Fold ALL the laundry I have been putting off.
    -Be more consistent with my food prepping, so I don't fall off the wagon.
    -Walk, if only at work on breaks and lunches.
    Jan 7th check in:

-laundry not conquered yet.
    -down 3lbs!
    -did SOME food prep today, and excited to do more tomorrow.
    -have consistently been walking at both breaks and lunch time.