• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Today's workout...

Squats: 72.5kg - 5/3/4/5/4

Do you mind if I ask what happened here? Did you fail onto the safeties on the sets where you did 3 or 4? And then carry on? Or did you decide at the top that it was too much and re-rack? I just ask because I haven't had to use the safeties yet but I can see it coming, and it scares me! I can't imagine failing and then getting straight back to it. (For one thing, I couldn't lift the loaded bar back to the top - I'd have to take all the plates off!)

Using the safeties on the squat rack is actually not that hard. Once you realize you can,t go up, if they are properly set, all you have to do is let yourself sit down until the bar rests on the safeties. Yeah, you have to take the plates off, and it's a hassle, but really not that scary! ;)
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Today's workout...

Squats: 72.5kg - 5/3/4/5/4

Do you mind if I ask what happened here? Did you fail onto the safeties on the sets where you did 3 or 4? And then carry on? Or did you decide at the top that it was too much and re-rack? I just ask because I haven't had to use the safeties yet but I can see it coming, and it scares me! I can't imagine failing and then getting straight back to it. (For one thing, I couldn't lift the loaded bar back to the top - I'd have to take all the plates off!)

Using the safeties on the squat rack is actually not that hard. Once you realize you can,t go up, if they are properly set, all you have to do is let yourself sit down until the bar rests on the safeties. Yeah, you have to take the plates off, and it's a hassle, but really not that scary! ;)

Thanks for the reassurance! I do have the safeties set well, I think - they're just about an inch or so under the bottom of my squat so i don't have far to go. It's all in my head!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance! I do have the safeties set well, I think - they're just about an inch or so under the bottom of my squat so i don't have far to go. It's all in my head!

at least you're taking all that weight seriously, which is probably a better thing than being too casual.

fwiw, my experience was, if it's going to happen for me, then it'll probably be at the very bottom of the range anyway. reversing direction and getting out of the hole is the hardest part of the entire rep, so yeah. it turned out that failing was pretty straight forward for me. my body was begging me to let it sit down anyway :tongue:

so i let it, and that was pretty much it. it wasn't so much losing control - more like those times when you try the first pull on a deadlift, and realise that it's not going to come up so you just let it go and regroup. it seems scary because you think of it as something that 'happens' to you, but you have more control over it than you might think.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Different night for me, as I lifted after freight day. The good part was, we actually got our freight today when it's normally scheduled. Kept work busy then gym afterwards. Did things a little different for lower hypertrophy and think I'm liking the minor changes, at least so far. We'll see how it goes over the month. Main thing is going to just do leg curls on power days and I moved the sumo deadlifts over to hypertrophy instead of messing around with them after my regular deadlifts. My calluses ache too much by the time I worked on them (as that's more my grip issue than slipping or anything). My thighs were feeling it a little by the time I was done with tonight's session.

53 - Lower Hypertrophy
    front squat 3x8 @ 90 and 1x8 @ 110 - not bad, tad achy but still moving up. Got slower by the end of the last set, with the crossed arms stance.
    curtsy lunge 4x9 @ 85 - okay though an occasional misstep and had to re-situate.
    good morning 4x12 @ 85 - nothing unusual there.
    rdl 3x8 @ 135 - giving these a try as more than just a way to warm up for main deadlifts.
    sumo deadlift 3x5 @ 165 - first set was awkward but it got better.
    leg extension 4x8 @ 95 - need to learn to increase in smaller amounts than 15 on it.
    seated calf 4x12 @ 115 - eh, calves.

Oh, and if anyone is curious since I've been doing PHUL and how long the workouts might take. It usually takes me just over an hour, even with my little additions. I can take around 2 hours on nights where I add cardio after and even a tad over when it's the long run, but tonight was less than an hour and 15 minutes for the actual workout.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

I've only had to use the safeties once while squatting... usually, my form will suffer first, which is when I know to stop. I don't see the point in going for a 4th or 5th rep when my knees are wobbling like a baby giraffe!

I've had an injured shoulder for about 7 months, so I'm very careful about setting up properly and keeping my alignment when doing any lifts. I got sloppy doing OHP once and ended up dropping 60lbs on my face, so now I pay extra attention.... and if I can't do a lift with proper form, I don't do it.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    I got sloppy doing OHP once and ended up dropping 60lbs on my face, so now I pay extra attention.... and if I can't do a lift with proper form, I don't do it.

Yikes! Yes, good point. I like the baby giraffe knees description, too :smile:
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    A rare day out of the office for me so experienced the quietness of the gym at 10am for a change.

SQ 5X5 @ 60kgs back to where I was before I hurt my back so pleased with this.
    OHP 5X5 @25KGS am trying to persevere within Olympic bar
    DL 1X5@67.5kgs concentrated on keeping my hips level and no back pain today. Yay!

Underhand lat pull downs 3x8 @40kgs
    3x8 press-ups
    3x6 back extension thingies with 10kg weight

Could happily have done more but had an appointment I needed to get to....
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »

Hurray! Well done.

• kimiuzzell
    Options
    Thank you! I was very pleased... Now to work on increasing it a little more!! My bodyweight is 75kg so obviously aiming for that in the longer term but hoping to nail 62.5kg SQ by the end if the month. Doesn't seem a lot but that sort of increase each month would have me at that target in the summer....I'll take that!
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Last night lower hypertrophy

Warm up: all Bw
    Good mornings
    Squat to stand
    Bear squat rocks
    Pull aparts
    Lat shrugs
    Dead bugs
    Clamshells

Superset A
    Front squats 85# 3x5
    Deficit reverse lunges 25# DBs 3x8
    Leg lowers (ab) 3x10
    Banded hip abductions 3x10

Superset B
    Sumo deadlifts 135# 3x6
    Ham rolls 3x12
    Windmills 15# Dumbbells (this is a cool core exercise I learned from girls gone strong for kettlebellsbwhich I don't haves. Still good with DBs tho)

Superset C
    Single leg hip thrusts body weight 3x12
    Banded hip abductions in bridge position
    Assisted pistol squat 3x4 (crapolla that's rough!)
    Russian twists 25# 3x12
    Straight leg sit ups 25# 3x10

Stretching

Took 1 HR, 40 min all together. The warm up took 20 min, damn sore piriformis. Cajoling the husband along = 10 min.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts workout

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    BR-5X5X 85

I feel really strong doing the squats at 120 pounds. My form is almost perfect all the way through. I will probably start adding pounds next week. For the BP my arm strength is still weak. Especially my right arm. I may do a deload next week. The BR is fair, I would not say that it is easy yet. I am not sure if I will increase weight on this or deload next week.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Untamed strength week 1.

OHP - worked up to 70lbs x 8 reps. Decided against trying 72.5lbs, though that was my 8 rep max before when I started this program originally before I got injured. That last rep just barely squeaked out too.
    accessory work skipped.

Happy with my form, odd how a break does a reset button. I get into a weird habit of looking up on OHP but I stared at a mark on the wall instead the whole time and didn't fight it.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy day:

50lb flat & incline bench
    Bro curls up the wazzoo @15 lbs
    Ez bar curls 21@20lbs
    Tricep extensions @15lbs
    Arnold presses @15 lbs
    Chin ups 5,4,3,3@ BW
    Tricep cable extensions-heavy band
    3 planks at 1 minute
    Russian twists 3x12@25 lbs
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Thursday I was really focussing on making sure my squat form was right, videoing every set and I thought I was doing really well. My back had been a bit sore last week after water skiing, but wasn't giving me any trouble, but 3rd rep of last work set something was not right at all, my whole lower back/butt said nope. Packed up and basically went to bed. Friday my back was so seized up that I could barely move. Sitting was awful. I think it's a pulled muscle (erector maybe) but then sometime I think it may be an SI joint issue. It's feeling much better today, I can actually sit for a while, but I have to be very careful with my movements. I've been looking at my sets and my form is looking pretty good, so I'm thinking maybe it was an endurance issue rather than a form one. So looks like an extended break from Stronglifts anyway.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    A rare day out of the office for me so experienced the quietness of the gym at 10am for a change.

OHP 5X5 @25KGS am trying to persevere within Olympic bar
    DL 1X5@67.5kgs concentrated on keeping my hips level and no back pain today. Yay!..

Well done on getting your squats back up! How did you hurt your back? How long did you have off and how did you get back into lifting?

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    feeling bleh. went to trainer day and told him i want to go back to square one, work up and find a new baseline, so that's what we did. wasn't a fun day at all, but then too i had the blehs beforehand and dragged them in there with me, so there's that.

bench was do-able at 70 but i'm not in the mood for grindily do-able things. backed off to 65 so i could do more volume . . . think i'm going to widen my grip by a thumb-knuckle's worth. when i did that late in the session my front delts and biceps attachments finally caught a small break.

squats were a wreck. i'm not even calling what happened a workout . . . it wasn't; it was just flailing around and then throwing my toys out of the cot.

internally. sometimes when i'm at trainer day i get this aural flashback to my old music teacher. saying 'okay, you can vat jou goed en trek nou. i understand that you're upset, but you're banging my piano and that's not allowed.' and then she'd blame my red hair and tell me it was the irish in me and i'd be banned till the following week.
  • kimiuzzell
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you!

Well done on getting your squats back up! How did you hurt your back? How long did you have off and how did you get back into lifting?

Thanks! I hurt it the weekend before Christmas. I Park my car out of town to avoid parking fees and I enjoy the walk (between 20 and 30 mins each way depending where I Park). I walked into town but the insole of my boot slipped and I got a massive blister on the pad of my left heel.

Didn't think anything of it, bought new insoles when I got into town and put a plaster on the blister
    But walking back to the car is all uphill and without thinking about it, i was trying to avoid putting extra pressure on the blister, so walked slightly off balance.

By the time I got back to the car, the damage was done. I thought a hot bath and some ibuprofen would sort it out but it wasn't to be. Just goes to show how finely balanced our bodies are! By the end of the following day, I could barely move and turning over in bed was agony.

I only had a few days out of the gym as I knew it wasn't an injury as such. I made sure I was very careful and square on with my hips adjusting weights accordingly. The SL app suggested an appropriate deload, which I followed and have worked up carefully for the last couple of weeks.

So, it's not taken long. I can still feel my back is sore but not enough to take anything... It's just reminding me to be careful!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Squats: 5x5 @ 72kg
    Bench: 5x5 @ 31kg
    Row: 5x5 @ 20kg dumbbells

3.5 chin ups, unassisted
    2x10 chin ups assisted
    2x10 pull ups assisted
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Squats: 5x5 @ 72kg
    Bench: 5x5 @ 31kg
    Row: 5x5 @ 20kg dumbbells

3.5 chin ups, unassisted
    2x10 chin ups assisted
    2x10 pull ups assisted

I am super jealous of your unassisted chin-ups! My goal/resolution this year is one unassisted chin-up!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Mine too!