Craving Fat???

Options
SoosannahK
SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
So as it is quickly approaching that dreaded TOM, I have been waiting for those horrible sweet cravings to rear their ugly heads. They are either really tardy or aren't going to show up at all. I WANT FAT!! That big hunk of fat on the side of and in the middle of a ribeye, specifically. I have thought, dreamed, obsessed about it ALL DAY! Sadly the grocery didn't any ribeyes that looked appealing (who really wants thin cut??) and the one that did look good was a two pack and a little beyond what I was wanting to spend to cure my fat craving. I had some sirloins at home that had a good size of fat on it, so I fried the steak and ate the fat and put the rest in the fridge for later. It wasn't the same :'(

Does anyone else have any cravings like that or am I just a weirdo?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yep especially when I'm getting back in track the first few weeks. Bacon really his the spot. My other favorite craving is steak topped with crumbled bleu cheese and Frank's hot sauce. It can't from my initial craving of steak topped with chicken wings.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I do crave ribeye steak, but not necessarily the fat chunk that come with it. Some are able to eat it (@DittoDan is one, and my mother), but I've not been able to develop the taste for that portion of a ribeye. The price has become ridiculous though!
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I do crave ribeye steak, but not necessarily the fat chunk that come with it. Some are able to eat it (@DittoDan is one, and my mother), but I've not been able to develop the taste for that portion of a ribeye. The price has become ridiculous though!

That hunk of fat is the best part of a ribeye lol. Especially if it's fried crispy but not burnt. But they are crazy ridiculous expensive.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I love it! I've had some cravings like that. :)
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    Yep especially when I'm getting back in track the first few weeks. Bacon really his the spot. My other favorite craving is steak topped with crumbled bleu cheese and Frank's hot sauce. It can't from my initial craving of steak topped with chicken wings.

I love bleu cheese on a steak. I usually soften some butter and make a bleu cheese butter to put on top. Oh my yumminess!
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is super random. I should have pms by now and be eating ALL the candy in the world but I have only been craving bacon. I thought I was super weird!
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If its packaged by the butchers counter ask them nicely to split it for you.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I've tried to cut it into tiny bites, and eat it with some of the meat, but can't develop a taste (I like my steak medium rare, maybe the fat part isn't cooked enough? I don't have the "crispness" you describe) for it! :neutral: I have eaten the smaller portions of fat, just not the big chunk. Maybe I will cut it off and cook it longer next time.
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I've tried to cut it into tiny bites, and eat it with some of the meat, but can't develop a taste (I like my steak medium rare, maybe the fat part isn't cooked enough? I don't have the "crispness" you describe) for it! :neutral: I have eaten the smaller portions of fat, just not the big chunk. Maybe I will cut it off and cook it longer next time.

I usually eat mine medium and have started frying them at home instead of broiling them and that gets the fat just perfect for me. Crispy on outside and still juicy and full of flavor on inside. I honestly think it may be an acquired taste. I only know a few people that will actually eat the fat off steaks and chops. My grandmother used to fuss at me because I would get all the fat out of her roast pot and not eat hardly any meat. I have been eating beef fat since I was a wee child. I only have one out of three kids that will eat fat. We fight over it and I have threatened to stab him with a fork if he didn't stay away from my fat.

Napier_mum wrote: »
    Wow, this is super random. I should have pms by now and be eating ALL the candy in the world but I have only been craving bacon. I thought I was super weird!

We can go sit in the corner and be weird together. :D But in all seriousness, this is the first month that my hormones haven't gone hog wild. No sweet cravings, no weeping and boo-hooing for no reason and my temper has been pleasant instead of raging lunatic. Not nearly as bloated either. I usually gain 3-5 lbs of bloat only up a pound this time but don't think I had enough water yesterday because I woke up super thirsty this morning.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Lol! Fighting for the beef fat! Haha!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've always had a fat tooth. Now I crave really weird things like stewed celery and leeks.
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I've always had a fat tooth. Now I crave really weird things like stewed celery and leeks.

Fat tooth, I like that. If there was a plate of nicely cooked beef fat, and a plate of cookies side by side, I would go for the fat 99% of the time. I must have a fat tooth too!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Maybe we just crave what we train the body to expect as its main source of calories. Before LCHF I mainly lived on carbs and mainly craved carbs but after a couple of weeks on LCHF the carb cravings just started to fade fast.

• SoosannahK
    Options
    @GaleHawkins I am hoping that is the case. Before it was always cupcakes. Haven't wanted/craved a cupcake in a long while now.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ugh, TOM for me has always been cheese - the older the better, but I've always hated meat fat. When I was really little I always asked for the breast meat w/o skin as any fat/skin or vein-y bits made me gag. For a long time I couldn't even prep raw meat - texture is a huge thing for me although I like beef medium rare when I do actually feel like eating it. I didn't like the feel of mud pies, or green grass under my feet when playing in the yard. Yep, I'm just weird, lol.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    SoosannahK wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »

Fat tooth, I like that. If there was a plate of nicely cooked beef fat, and a plate of cookies side by side, I would go for the fat 99% of the time. I must have a fat tooth too!

It's butterfat for me. I'll pick the cheese every time, and, although I like jam, I don't want to ruin the delicious butter flavor by putting jam on the occasional piece of bread that I eat. I'd rather have unsweetened full fat yogurt than sweet lowfat yogurt.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Maybe we just crave what we train the body to expect as its main source of calories. Before LCHF I mainly lived on carbs and mainly craved carbs but after a couple of weeks on LCHF the carb cravings just started to fade fast.

I like this theory! I also used to crave sweets regularly. Now fat is what my mind wants. I've noticed that fat cravings are easier to satisfy. Maybe because it's richer, or it could be because it's more available than sweets ever were. I knew I had a problem with devouring chocolate anything, cookies, cakes, etc, so I tried to rarely have them in the house. Now, I am basically primal, so fat is always available in several forms.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @jilliancreates I could eat milk and cookies well beyond a reasonable level but with fats my push them back point comes quickly. :-)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Damn, now I want a cupcake.
  • SoosannahK
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Damn, now I want a cupcake.

Oops, my bad :#
    Omg this is making me want some beef fat SO bad! Love me some delicious steak bits that are slightly crispy. Love pork far, chicken fat... really love it salty and melts in your mouth.

A woman after my own heart. I think I'd rather have the beef and pork fat, and crispy chicken skin rather than the meat. I have been known to stand and skin a whole rotisserie chicken before and never eat a piece of meat ;)

I would also eat sticks of butter as a child. I have been tempted a time or two in my adult years by my Kerrygold.

Now everyone knows my secret to keto, it comes naturally.