Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Replies

• Luannelizabeth
    Luannelizabeth Posts: 51 Member
    Hi! I'm Luanne in Virginia, age 61. I started LCHF today with a bulletproof coffee and plan to do it again tomorrow! I've been up and down the scale much of my adult life but more up in the past 10 years. I did keto when I was younger and always felt terrific and kept my weight down, so it's back to basics here for me. I'm starting off with 10% carbs, 25% protein and 65% fat (I think). After my first day, I have that old familiar headache, which I know will last a few days along with some weakness and fatigue. Then I'll be good to go! Nice to meet you all!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Apologies! I am Karla and I'm from the Mississippi Gulf Coast, U.S.. It really is great to see the new ladies here! I've welcomed you already, and do so again!

Kathie, it sound like the medication is helping you! I'm so glad you have found some relief after suffering for so long! Exciting to find your chiropractor supports this woe! That extra support will be great! Good luck with the exercise! Oh, and I hear the wagon treads to wear off, after a bit, lol! Getting back on is what matters! Hugs!

Hi Janice (waves!), hugs to you too!!

It's my bedtime, since I'm working tomorrow and want to be well rested! :smiley: Goodnight!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Hi ladies...I am 63 and relatively new to this group as well. I've been doing Keto since late October but have been on MFP for a while. Weight loss is excruciatingly slow...25 pounds in 2015. When I started this woe, I was stalled and it took well over a month to lose anything. I am stalled again and have been bouncing between 215-216 for about 6 weeks. Clothes are loose, though, and I am shopping in my closet and getting into smaller pants so something is working. I am committed to this for life not only for weight loss, but this eases the inflammation in my knees making exercise possible.

This is an excellent thread within this informative and warm group. Lots of support here. Thanks!
  • j_jayehl
    j_jayehl Posts: 9 Member
    Hi again everyone, nice to meet you all!

My name is Janine and the MFP name is mostly because it took ages to find a combination that wasn't taken.

I've just turned 50(last summer) and this past year have been doing the low carb after a year or two of doing vegetarian/vegan. I think I am heading for some variation of 80/90 % vegetarian low carb eating. To me this is using a selection of whole grains/legumes/beans and dairy with meat once or twice a week.

I have pretty persistent Renaud's syndrome in my hands and this does make the diet wars a little concerning to me but I'm learning.

I work as an artist and am a serious student of astrology and Tarot. I've been on my own raising 3 kids for 13 years and the youngest will be graduating high school this year. I really have had complete control of what goes in the kitchen so that has been a blessing for health and diet experiments :) I did Bikram Yoga for 4 years but after some knee problems I've been walking as a main source of exercise for the past two years. I miss hot yoga terribly-especially in the winter- and will go back to it once the kids have left home.

My food tracking has been off for two days and I haven't put my misfit flash on either so I must regroup this week.

Happy to be here!

• j_jayehl
    j_jayehl Posts: 9 Member
    Oh and I just found the LCD Launchpad at the top of the group, what a fantastic reference. thank you!
  • KarlaYP
    Connie, your success is awesome! I'm so glad this woe is easing some inflammation for you!! Pain relief has been a huge motivation for meeting too!

Janine (my middle name btw! :smiley: Welcome! And yes, the launch pad is an amazing resource!
  • ibelieveinlowcarb
    ibelieveinlowcarb Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks Karlottap! My name is Mary. Love to try out some new recipes and I have a husband who is not too keen on leftovers. My fridge is overflowing as well as the freezer. I need my sons home to hover all of it up.
    I have started the treadmill and watching an episode of netflix tv show. Kinda fun.
    Still feel like I have to go to work but since it is Sunday, I need to get over that! haha
    I find that I cannot eat all the fat grams that I am supposed to. I love to have the coffee fat bomb in the morning reading the newspaper cover to cover. Leaves a lot for dinner time
    The reason is to get into Ketosis which is hard for me. I have not lost any weight for awhile and not too stressed over this. Husband is with me and trying to eat as much as he can also and stay within limits.
    I shall not complain as I am home now and work will be a distant memory.
    Nursing was hard. buh bye.
    Keep on drinking water ladies it does help.
    Any tips?
  • ibelieveinlowcarb
    Also i have this extreme fatigue. Sleeping in till 10 or 11. (maybe just need the rest)
    Anyone else experienced this. Luanne is it ongoing.
  • HedgeHaug
    HedgeHaug Posts: 223 Member
    @Karlottap Oh No!!! Lisinopril definitely! That is too much time lost!!! I am so sorry you are having to deal with this!
  • KarlaYP
    Welcome Mary! Fatigue can come from lack of sodium and is an ongoing balance that's needed with this woe. Pickle juice is great for this! However you can, increase it, and see if that doesn't help!

Maggs, thanks! 20 minutes is a lot of time to lose! New experience for me that I hope to not repeat!
  • ibelieveinlowcarb
    Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,
    Will try the pickle juice. Actually it is yummy. I will try it as map records it and i am nowhere near my quota.
    About that blackout. Was it here that i read that it was about fatigue be it from work or sleep patterns. Its not the rem sleep but can cause the absence of time to be noted. I had this happen one time to me also. I wasn't at work but driving. Scared the .... out of me. i had to pull over and let my husband drive. Anyways being a nurse means a lack of sleep.
    Just retired from Surgical Services. I know exactly what you go through. Hang in there.
    I ended up just resting up from work on my days off. Glad it is done.
    One question if anyone can answer. I didn't have the whoosh yet of weight loss. started two weeks ago and lost four pounds so far. drinking lots of water and meeting the macros....well
    have a hard time eating all the fats to the max. But still calories are normal, carbs under and protein under. Will have to weight.
    Put my husband on it and darn it didn't it clear up some symptoms of bid. Loosing too.
    Life is always fair. But trying to even the playing field.
    Have a great day.
    Life is good.
    Mary
  • HedgeHaug
    Hi, Women! What's up today? I'm having a terrific evening over here in Texas. Cooking a broccoli cheese side dish to go with a sausage/beef meatloaf....had a shrimp, bacon, cream cheese, jalapeño thingy to curb the appetite.....Mmmmmm! No patients tomorrow, so time to catch up on online training :# !
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Tonight is my 'Friday' (last night of workweek) so I am looking forward to sleeping in before I get 'day life' on days off. But until then yucky sleety rainy snowy weather at close-to-freezing temp tonight. NOT looking forward to the drive part of my patrol. Awesome dinner tonight though with an amazing home made Bolognese sauce with everything from artichoke hearts to capers and kalamata olives in it, topping low carb Explore Asian organic soybean pasta. Woo-Hoo!!!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Hello ladies. Nice to meet all you newcomers.
    I'd totally forgot about the pickle juice until you guys were discussing it. I've had a few pickles here & there this week, along with a swig of the juice. It goes down quite nicely.
    How's work Karla?
    And what about you Janice? Are things getting & staying better?
    We're sitting at -33degrees Celsius today, so the snow shovelling will have to wait. At least we're finally in winter. It's just kind of come & gone this year. Snow, then melt, then snow again & temps have been fairly mild (for us).
    I know you were longing for snow Jane, but I think the cold would be a nasty surprise for you.
    I guess I'm getting another grand baby this summer. Hopefully our little guy will be good with a new brother/sister. He's a little on the spoiled side right now, but that's what grandbabies are for isn't it?
    Have a great weekend everyone & stay warm.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,045 Member
    Hello beautiful Ladies. It's nice to meet all the new ladies here.

Yes, Kathie, things are going OK. I started the new year somewhat disgruntled. My weight went up, and it's still up, although it's now moving downward again. Increased carbs, calories and booze over the holidays meant disaster for me. OK, well not disaster, but at least I can plainly see just how sensitive my body is to eating off plan for too long. I find that I can take an occasional carb excursion without falling off the wagon too far, especially if I keep fasting. You know how I love to fast. Well, I was simply too busy to do so, then once the carbs were eaten, they have a nasty way of producing increased hunger, which was much more difficult for me to resist over the holidays.

I was maintaining my weight, not losing, during the month before Christmas, but my body appeared to be shrinking. So others were issuing me compliments, telling me that I was losing more weight...to which I replied that I was not, but at the same time, I kind of beat myself up emotionally, by allowing myself to get into a habit of eating. The conditions ideal for me to overeat. But that prompted a bit of negative self talk. I discouraged myself and strayed from plan. So it was a combination of stress, exhaustion, higher carbs and a break in mental resolve that lead to a set back. So by the time New Years rolled around, I was still tired from my workload, up a few pounds in weight and feeling kind of discouraged.

But good news, I am almost caught up at work, so that always leads to less stress. Also, although I have not laid out formal resolutions, I am determined to reduce stress and my reaction to it considerably. I am especially occupied with becoming more aware of my thought processes which lead to anxiety. My goal is not only to lose weight and become physically healthier, but to be able to achieve optimal emotional health as well. I am not looking back. I do not want to be as susceptible to emotional upheaval as I was in the past, even recent past. I feel much more confident that I will be able to achieve my goals now that the new year has become more mature. I dislike the notion of having all goals and plans laid out by Midnight Jan 1, when self improvement is an ongoing process. I felt too much pressure weeks ago, but now feel much better about the whole thing and can move on. The weight is coming off, and I feel happier in general, more in control, so that's good.

I know this sounds odd, and just typing it makes me feel like a teenie bopper again. But I have been a huge fan of David Bowie since junior high, and have most of his music and have followed his career all my life. So his death a few days ago hit me pretty hard. His intelligence, his sense of style and his art have enhanced my life, and I will miss him. He will continue to impact the art and music worlds of course. As someone who was always artistically inclined, I have related to him in many ways beyond listening to his greatest hits, and there is still more to discover. Always searching, always allowing the creative process to continue, right up until death. He inspires me so much. So I have spent a great deal of time this week listening to much of his music, and just enjoying and reminiscing.

I'm fasting today, feels good. It was difficult for me to even get back into my regular one meal per day routine, but now that I have mastered this, I can fast again much more comfortably. I think that adherence to my plan along with dealing appropriately with my emotions, will serve me well for the next step of my journey. I can feel a whoosh happening in fact, but so far only trying to get back to the weight I was before Christmas. Can't wait until I can record a new low weight.

It's cold here too Kathie. I think it was -28 this morning. Even I feel cold, not looking forward to tomorrow once the effects of my fasting lower my body temperature more. I think it will be -31 tonight. I put my new thermal underwear on today for the first time....and I'm in the house as I say this ! I feel cold right now. Yes, we Canadians pride ourselves on our ability to take the cold, but I used to feel warmer when I was younger and fatter, and also when my thyroid worked better. I'm cold, darn it. I'm going to make a cup of chocolate orange herbal tea and try to warm up.

Have a great weekend Ladies!
  • KarlaYP
    Hello ladies! Having a beautiful Saturday here! Mid sixties F, blue skies, simply gorgeous! Sitting on the patio spending some time with you all!

Mary, the whoosh of weight loss doesn't always happen at first. Sometimes it may not happen at all! As long as you see a downward trend overall just keep doing what you're doing and it will continue. I do believe fatigue contributed greatly to my blackout episode! Congratulations on making it retirement! This profession can be exhausting!

Maggs, I love adding sausage to my ground beef for meatloaf! Yum! Bet it was good! Btw, I restarted the Lisinopril!

Kathie! Congratulations on the expectation of a new grandbaby!! Exciting for you! I'm sure big brother will do well, but yes, all grandbabies should be spoiled, imo! Work is wonderful (despite the migraine issue), I just don't work enough to get into a groove. Still considering a second prn (as needed for the non medical folks out there) position, but I haven't done anything more than think about it at this point. The pickle juice has become a staple for me! Glad you tried it too!

Janice, the way back to our old selves is a very slippery, easy to fall into, path! So glad you've gotten yourself back on the better for you part of it! The cravings are only a meal away, in my experience! Was terribly sad about David Bowie! He has left a brilliant mark on the music world that will be felt for many generations!

Saying hello Jane!! Hope all is well with you!

Having a keto pizza dip for supper! Sausage and pepperoni on top of cream cheese and pizza sauce with full fat mozzarella on top! Bake in oven and you've got the best part of the pizza in a bowl about thirty minutes!

Hugs everybody! Enjoy your weekend!!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Good morning ladies. Weather is finally warming up to balmy -20 c here. We had blue skies, too, Karla. & view out my living room window was beautiful with the new white snow, blue skies, & green spruce trees but, damn, it was cold.
    The months of Nov & Dec were quite challenging for me. LCHF kind of went out the window with all the tests & new meds & then Christmas. (Excuses, excuses I know). So in those 2 mos I managed to gain some weight back (8lbs). I'd maintained my 21lb loss since July (couldn't seem to lose any more no matter what I did, but that was ok - no gains). I don't record gains on MFP so my report doesn't go up & down like a yo yo. But, since last Mon (Jan 11), I've slowly but surely lost 3lbs (yay!). Guess it was 21/2 mos, not just 2. I'm back to BPC most days & staying under 16g carbs. Since I've been forbidden to do the exercise plan I had mapped out for myself (squats, crunches, hip/leg raises, plank, & push ups) I've been struggling with a simple 20 min yoga session & 20 min me time down session. But I have to keep on trying, if this works then Botox on the trigger spots won't be necessary. I'm aiming to get back to weight I was before the gain & then any more losses (hopefully) will be a bonus.
    Have a great day everyone! And thanks for listening.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Hello Ladies,

Welcome aboard to all of the new ladies, you have found an amazing group of strong beautiful women who will support you and listen to all of your joys, sorrows, gripes, praises, and general BS. Love these ladies!! And I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I sure miss May.

I've been doing pretty good with this WOE. No real losses in weight but I feel so much better when eating this way. I'll take that any day.

My youngest and the Grandflowers moved into their home just before Christmas and now my oldest has moved into his. Still working on getting him set up with furniture and such but we are getting there! Looks like mine will be done about mid February.

Making it thru last year was a true test of my faith but I'm looking back now and thinking I did OK. All things are possible with God.

Hoping all of you have a peaceful and happy day
  • KarlaYP
    Kathie, so happy to hear of your success with getting back to the LCHF wol! Congratulations on the weight loss too! :smiley:

Rebecca! Hi!!! I'm so glad you stopped by! It's great to hear that your family is getting back into their homes and you aren't far behind! The test has been great I am sure!! I agree with the way this woe helps us feel so good! I don't ever want to feel sick again! Hugs for you! Yes, I miss May too! :neutral:

My hubby has now lost 16 pounds and his clothes are hanging on him! He has fully embraced this woe! It's great to see him checking labels and watching carb counts! I realized that I hadn't ever checked his BMI since he's always been trim. But he was in the overweight range. He needs two pounds more to be at a normal BMI! I'm on my scale rollercoaster, as usual! But, I'm here, and I feel wonderful, and that's what matters!

Hugs everybody! :blush:
  • HedgeHaug
    Poking my head in to say, "Hi, Y'all!" Rocky eating weekend, but I am back (with two evil meals behind me)! Woo-hoo!