Anyone else row on water?

Inkratlet
Inkratlet Posts: 621 Member
I'm seeing lots of talk of indoor rowers here... Rowing on water is much more fun! I really don't enjoy erg sessions much, but they are a necessity.

I row in a sweep-oar VIII on stroke-side. Usually 4 or 2 but I've had to be stroke as well (very difficult!)

It's bumps season at the moment, our schedule is crazy ramping up to the Town Bumps (non-university boat clubs) next week. 4 evenings of racing, the course is 2.2k if you go the distance without bumping/being bumped. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumps_race
«1

Replies

  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Novice rower here. I took an introductory class a little over a year ago, then bought a used Virus Turbo II Classic. I'm still trying to master the basics. The weather here in the Houston area over the first half of this year did not cooperate with my on-water interests (I kayak, too), but I took my scull out into Galveston Bay twice this past weekend and it was so much fun!

    Bumps racing sounds like a blast!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 621 Member
    Yay! Thanks for the FR too :)
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 228 Member
    I started rowing as an adult in 2004.
  • coxsizedrower
    coxsizedrower Posts: 13 Member
    I cox for a collegiate club team
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,304 Member
    I row on the water in season (roughly April to November most years), but the river ices over here in Winter (and I usually back off rowing when the water is quite cold but not frozen, for safety reasons). So, I do some indoor rowing & cross-training in Winter.

    I scull the most, frequently in a double, occasionally in a single or quad. I'm also on a breast cancer survivors team that sweeps - fours and eights. I'm bisweptual (I take it you're from the UK, from your terminology - I'm not sure whether this is a term you use?).

    I kinda stink in stroke, but do it if needed (counting all the way, under my breath or aloud ;-) ). I'm more of an engine room kind of a gal, though at a newly reduced size, I'm probably more viable in bow than I used to be. I've had to stroke the double for the last couple of years - having vision problems in one eye that limits my ability to see well enough to steer safely, though I'm OK facing forward - i.e., can still cox.
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Ann, that's awesome! I am jealous! I'm just happy if the waves don't tip me out of the boat.
  • DavidMW1
    DavidMW1 Posts: 44 Member
    I used to row for Thames on the Tideway, and was in a vet VIII a couple of years back, but since moving to the Middle East (again!) I haven't done much. Just the ergo, and cycling now, though there are a couple of clubs in Dubai. Tried it out here a few times, and it was great, have to row at 4-00am in the summer though, on the sea in shells, and its still 30 degrees plus at that time. Stunning views, looking back at the city waking up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,304 Member
    DavidMW1 wrote: »
    I used to row for Thames on the Tideway, and was in a vet VIII a couple of years back, but since moving to the Middle East (again!) I haven't done much. Just the ergo, and cycling now, though there are a couple of clubs in Dubai. Tried it out here a few times, and it was great, have to row at 4-00am in the summer though, on the sea in shells, and its still 30 degrees plus at that time. Stunning views, looking back at the city waking up.

    That sounds wonderful (the views; not so much the 4AM! ;) ). One of my great treats in rowing was an opportunity to row on the Charles River basin in Boston at night, in the heart of the city. So striking to see! Rowing does take us to some beautiful places.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I row on the water in season (roughly April to November most years), but the river ices over here in Winter (and I usually back off rowing when the water is quite cold but not frozen, for safety reasons). So, I do some indoor rowing & cross-training in Winter.

    I scull the most, frequently in a double, occasionally in a single or quad. I'm also on a breast cancer survivors team that sweeps - fours and eights. I'm bisweptual (I take it you're from the UK, from your terminology - I'm not sure whether this is a term you use?).

    I kinda stink in stroke, but do it if needed (counting all the way, under my breath or aloud ;-) ). I'm more of an engine room kind of a gal, though at a newly reduced size, I'm probably more viable in bow than I used to be. I've had to stroke the double for the last couple of years - having vision problems in one eye that limits my ability to see well enough to steer safely, though I'm OK facing forward - i.e., can still cox.

    Ann - I too am a BC survivor and learned to row with WeCanRow in Boston - if you haven't connected with the Lansing group, do it! It changed my life. Now I row at Community Rowing, and occasionally race with Avalon - tho this time of year I'm in the tanks (ugh) and erging (double ugh). Either side (tho I'm told my form is better on S), any seat (depends who else is in the boat), sweep or sculling - I purposely mix things up so my body (especially my back) doesn't rebel, though I haven't done any races sculling. Highlight of 2015 was racing in the Head of the Charles for the first time!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,304 Member
    lax75 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I row on the water in season (roughly April to November most years), but the river ices over here in Winter (and I usually back off rowing when the water is quite cold but not frozen, for safety reasons). So, I do some indoor rowing & cross-training in Winter.

    I scull the most, frequently in a double, occasionally in a single or quad. I'm also on a breast cancer survivors team that sweeps - fours and eights. I'm bisweptual (I take it you're from the UK, from your terminology - I'm not sure whether this is a term you use?).

    I kinda stink in stroke, but do it if needed (counting all the way, under my breath or aloud ;-) ). I'm more of an engine room kind of a gal, though at a newly reduced size, I'm probably more viable in bow than I used to be. I've had to stroke the double for the last couple of years - having vision problems in one eye that limits my ability to see well enough to steer safely, though I'm OK facing forward - i.e., can still cox.

    Ann - I too am a BC survivor and learned to row with WeCanRow in Boston - if you haven't connected with the Lansing group, do it! It changed my life. Now I row at Community Rowing, and occasionally race with Avalon - tho this time of year I'm in the tanks (ugh) and erging (double ugh). Either side (tho I'm told my form is better on S), any seat (depends who else is in the boat), sweep or sculling - I purposely mix things up so my body (especially my back) doesn't rebel, though I haven't done any races sculling. Highlight of 2015 was racing in the Head of the Charles for the first time!

    lax75: I started rowing a dozen years ago with WeCanRow Lansing. Stacey was my first coach. And I know a number of the Boston bunch from rowing camps, and have even rowed a couple of times with WCR-B on visits there. Unless you're very new, we may even have met. I raced with Sally's ad hoc organization at Masters Nationals before it was called Avalon, but not in years. Also rowed in HOCR in a RowAsOne (Holly's umbrella organization) boat a few years back. (Your reaction is up to you - I won't be offended in any case - but I've sent you a friend request.)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 621 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I scull the most, frequently in a double, occasionally in a single or quad. I'm also on a breast cancer survivors team that sweeps - fours and eights. I'm bisweptual (I take it you're from the UK, from your terminology - I'm not sure whether this is a term you use?).

    Ahh no, never heard that term - I think it probably means what we call "ambi" ie. you can row OK on either side in a sweep crew? Yes am in the UK

    I've tried sculling once in a double, my left hand is totally incapable of feathering, apparently! I do want to do more sculling as often we can't find coxes so we'd like to go out in a quad on those occasions

  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,304 Member
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I scull the most, frequently in a double, occasionally in a single or quad. I'm also on a breast cancer survivors team that sweeps - fours and eights. I'm bisweptual (I take it you're from the UK, from your terminology - I'm not sure whether this is a term you use?).

    Ahh no, never heard that term - I think it probably means what we call "ambi" ie. you can row OK on either side in a sweep crew? Yes am in the UK

    I've tried sculling once in a double, my left hand is totally incapable of feathering, apparently! I do want to do more sculling as often we can't find coxes so we'd like to go out in a quad on those occasions

    Yep - same thing: both sides. (I find it a good skill to cultivate, as it gets one boated slightly more often.) And on the sculling: Keep working at it, one day your brain will snap to it. ;)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 621 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

    Yep - same thing: both sides. (I find it a good skill to cultivate, as it gets one boated slightly more often.) And on the sculling: Keep working at it, one day your brain will snap to it. ;)

    Easier said than done :) Since my first time, I have been out in a sculling boat exactly 0 times. I am not that keen on singles, nor do I have the time really for it and can't find anyone else willing to take a double out with me.

    I assume "get boated" means getting a seat in a boat? (we call them "outings") I have no difficulty getting those! Could row every day if I wanted to over the summer lol. I have seat 6 in a racing 8 and we've been going out regularly all summer. The biggest problem is finding coxes.

  • 429jules
    429jules Posts: 16 Member
    Any on the water rowers still out there? I've been rowing for about 5 years. Looking forward to getting out in the water soon after these months of winter training in the gym...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,304 Member
    429jules wrote: »
    Any on the water rowers still out there? I've been rowing for about 5 years. Looking forward to getting out in the water soon after these months of winter training in the gym...

    Yup, still here . . . and likewise waiting for on-water season,
  • ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Been out on the water Saturday and Sunday come rain or shine over the whole winter
  • ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Urmm, where did the rest of my message go?!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,304 Member
    Urmm, where did the rest of my message go?!

    Did you use an emoticon? Forum posts don't like emoticons.
  • 429jules
    429jules Posts: 16 Member
    We've had a fairly mild winter in D.C., but not enough to get out that much. Where are you?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,304 Member
    429jules wrote: »
    We've had a fairly mild winter in D.C., but not enough to get out that much. Where are you?

    Me, or @ruthbardell, or both?

    I'm in Michigan. River gets seriously crunchy, rowing team trains indoors, and I switch to some combo of laziness & cross-training mode (my (lame) excuse: I'm old).

    Ice is mostly out now, but I'm a bit conservative. On a semi-warm day now (40s F & up) I'd consider going out in a double with someone I've rowed with often and trust, or quad/four and up with near-random competent rowers. But too many of my (also old) hardcore rowing buddies are still in Florida!

    Breast cancer survivors team may go out next week . . . but it's supposed to be mid-thirties, and some of them wither in cold weather. ((Eye roll!))

    Soon, though - I can feel it!