Favourite Fast Day Meals?

Options

Replies

• elaine8505
    elaine8505 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I make zucchini noodles all the time but just use potato peeler to make them. A julienne peeler for spaghetti style noodles and a regular peeler for broader noodles. I found that zucchini cooks quicker than spaghetti squash -stir fry in less than 5 minutes and it is not as wet as spaghetti squash.
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one. I think it will help a lot with fast days.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I would love to try one of those spiral gadgets! Zucchini is less expensive to use instead of spaghetti squash too ($6.29 yesterday!)
    I just ordered one.
    . Where did you order this from??

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Well, just made 4kg (8 portions) of my fast day dinner staple....Veggie Chicken Chilli. Recipe varies a bit depending on the veggies I use. I always make a huge pot and then portion and freeze it. Cal wise it's usually just short of 200cals per 450-500g of chilli. Yummy, warming and filling.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Well, just made 4kg (8 portions) of my fast day dinner staple....Veggie Chicken Chilli. Recipe varies a bit depending on the veggies I use. I always make a huge pot and then portion and freeze it. Cal wise it's usually just short of 200cals per 450-500g of chilli. Yummy, warming and filling.

Well you're very organized! Well Done!! Gotta ask.... Ground chicken or solid breast of chicken? And it sounds delish!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ground chicken. You could mince your own, if it's not available.

I normally cook in batches and live off of left overs during the week. Keeps my meals healthy and more predictable ;-) The original recipe is from Mosley's The Fast Diet Book. But that has lots of mushrooms in it and ground turkey. I don't like mushrooms and can't get ground turkey.

Here is my last batch. I log it as a meal and when I log a portion, I log the correct fraction. In this case 0.125 meal. What I don't log is pepper, salt, merquen chilli spice and fresh cilanthro.

tmhyqb9vkdvm.jpg

I fry the onions, chilli spice, garlic, chilli pepper, yeast paste together, add the chicken until cooked, then add all of the chopped veggies, can of chopped tomatoes, tomato paste etc and hot water (1-1.5L) to almost cover it. Close to the end of cooking time (20-30min), I add the rinsed kidney beans and chopped cilantro and simmer another few minutes. Then weigh, portion and freeze. Perfect fast menus ;-)
  • mamainthekitchen
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh wow! Flumi that does sound delicious!! I figured it would be ground although chunky pieces of chicken would be more stew like, still yummy all the same. I make a mean beef chili with tinned stewed tomatoes, kidney beans & lots of peppers but I'd like to try yours for a change. I'm with ya on the mushrooms!! Ha! Only have those raw in a salad or sautéed in red wine! I like how you're able to portion out your meal the way you did. Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would love to try one of those spiral gadgets! Zucchini is less expensive to use instead of spaghetti squash too ($6.29 yesterday!)
    I just ordered one.
    . Where did you order this from??

Amazon. They have all different kinds. I got one of the fancier Paderno ones because I'd like to also try it with beets and sweet potatoes and other harder root vegetables, which according to the reviews some of the smaller spiralizers don't handle very well. I hadn't heard of the julienne peelers until right after I ordered. I might have ordered one of those instead, they seem a lot simpler to use and clean if you're just doing zucchini.
  • mamainthekitchen
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @boombalatty123 Thanks! Gonna take a look!!
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    @boombalatty123 - let me know if you have success with what you bought.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Pesto spaghetti squash is heaven!!!!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Okay, because I read this thread I wanted to try spaghetti squash so I bought one today. I have homemade pesto in the refrigerator . . . :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Okay, because I read this thread I wanted to try spaghetti squash so I bought one today. I have homemade pesto in the refrigerator . . . :)

Haha! Well you'll have to let us all know what you think! Other than the absurd price of the vegetable itself, it's an awesome replacement for rice, noodles & potatoes. I like that you can have what looks like a massive amount for very little calories!!
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Hi friends. I'm a recipe hoarder on Pinterest and wanted to share my 5:2 board. Many of these are ideas where I know in my brain that I'd sub out for pasta, leave off the bun, etc, but thought I'd share.
    http://pin.it/rOf-9hi
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    wheww! I did it! I followed you on Pintrest - except it took me while, had to make an account and I'm not really sure how it works although I see there are boards you can 'make' but I got lost opening up different sites... I'll have to get my daughter to show me - she's all over this stuff. And in your teeny tiny photo, you look gorgeous! I like a lot of the recipes you choose, we must have similar tastes. I may not make many but I love to look them over and droool!!! thanks :*
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    @mamainthekitchen it took me a while to figure out pinterest! I use it mostly for pinning recipes and tips for stuff like cleaning tile. It's like that folder we used to keep of magazine clippings when we were planning something (like a wedding or major purchase), or the mess of clipped recipes i keep at the front of my Better Homes cookbook. Cool part is you can have others join you and pin together (imagine your next School reunion!)
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Shiratake white yam noodles ZERO calories with low sodium chicken broth and fresh veggies. About 80 calories. Shrimp!! and broccoli for dinner with one TBL Braggs (soy sauce). Or eggs...i love eggs. they are my go-to in a pinch. Lots of tea....all day hot tea with nothing in it.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I also make cranberries with stevia. 30 calories per half cup and full of antioxidents. so easy...
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I did it! I made my spaghetti squash plus a yummy tofu bolongnese sauce.