Ja-new-ary(ou) in the making: Workout Check-in

Options

Replies

• Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    This has been a. Very active day for a supposedly non gym day! I was bored when I got up, so I went to join my sister at the gym. I'd done my workout yesterday, so today I just messed about doing all the things I never have time and energy for these days. Ten minutes of the cross trainer till I got bored with that, then some kettlebell swings and snatches, some abs work, some jumping onto a step holding a medicine ball, just lots of fun things!

Then home for lunc, and back out for a long walk in the snow with J. I'm pooped now!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Gym last night was interesting. Went to 24 (not the new one) and since I did the cancel, every time I sign in the thing is going to say see receptionist. That's going to be a long month if I have to explain every time. The guy working last night was nice though, so that helped. Should have asked the one when I did the cancel as to exactly how long I have left at the place but it's at least until the 14th (should be until the 28th but eh, oh well).

During the first lift, bench press, I had a woman come up and ask me if I would mind showing her sumo deadlifts. I haven't done them often so it was interesting for a few reasons including that she not only remembered me enough on that one lift but also approached me in a different part of the gym about it. So, I showed her them and did pendlay rows in that area instead of doing bent over rows. She was nice. New to lifting so we did a minimal weight and I showed the stacking of plates to help with any deadlift when first learning, while also made sure to emphasis that I'm not a trainer, that is how I approached the lift and some sources to look into in order to learn more. Good lifting session overall fueled by a couple of macaroons consumed pre-workout. mmm

58 - Upper Power

bench 1x4, 2x3 @ 110 - Yay! This was my 1rm when I tested in beginning of November. Wasn't sure how it'd go and the last reps were a push, but I made it so maybe that means I can get 115 for 1 now.
    db incline bench 3x10 @ 35 - feeling a little easier
    OHP - 3x4 @ 80 - moved it up and like putting it ahead of lat pull and rows.
    Pendlay rows 1x3 @ 115 and 2x5 @ 95 - first set was blech so dropped weight. I like this version but set up can be a hassle with stacking plates and everything. Did them after showing how I do sumo deadlifts, which involved 65 lbs with three plates for stacking to get a decent bar height.
    lat pulldown 3x10 @ 80 - still feels heavy, maybe either go for 90 just cause, drop down or maybe mix up a little with type of pull. Right now I do more of a wide grip type but could do underhand and closer grip for a little while to spice things up.
    overhead tri ext 3x10 @ 40 - not bad

That is all. Finished after midnight and now I'm sipping on some pre-workout and snacking a tiny bit as I'm going to do lower body power before work at coworker's gym (the new gym but location that's closer to home than work). Never really use pre-workout but got it basically free so want to use some of it up but don't like to have any when I'm lifting at midnight in case it does make me more awake. I want sleep too, which I'm going to get tonight because tomorrow is rest day and day off from work.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Went to gym with coworker for a late morning session. Started with a little foam rolling for once since I haven't done that in months. Had a pretty good session. Chatted with her just a little but we do our own things when going together. Also had some guy chat with us some who had moved up not long ago and just started lifting again after a few years off. He complimented my form on deadlift, so that was nice to hear though still working some on the heavy sets.

59 - Lower Power

squat 3x3 @ 185 - Quite heavy and a bit of a challenge but pushed through.
    deadlift 3x4 @ 200 and 1x3 with straps @ 225 - last set was heavy. Might up working to 205 but keep the strap one the same next time. Still need to work on the lock out.
    leg press 3x8 @ 220 - dropped the weigh a little cause right knee was a bit cranky last night and today.
    leg curls 3x8 @ 70 - the machine there is a little different but got it figured out, also did hanging leg raises in between sets for fun.

Tried a glute isolation thing which is kind of a one leg kick back machine but knees weren't fans of it. Didn't do hip thrust because bar was in use and there weren't any calf ones besides the sit thing I don't like and even smith machine was in use (considered doing standing calf raises with it). Still a long session between a bit of a warm up, long rests and a little chatting. Now to get ready for work.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Because my back stood up to water skiing yesterday and I didn't wake up with any soreness I decided to do SL today. All felt good while at it, but I've deloaded weight quite a bit.

SQ: 5x5x35kg. Still working on form, need to try and get this nailed.
    OHP: 5x5x20.5kg.
    DL: 1x5x65kg. Felt good, but heavy. It doesn't take much of a break to make a previously "easy" weight feel hard.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    the Selfish Sisters overlapped with my time, because i started the day way too late and didn't get to the gym until past 5pm. they are such awful people, like over-aged biker-bar trash and simply personally unpleasant to boot. i was determined not to showcase my broken squatting where the showoff half of the team could get a look at me and start trying to bully me too. i did a loooooooot of deadlift practice and also my rows while waiting for the two of them to bugger off and leave the place safe for the normal, nice people to do their lifting.

squats 70 (was TIE-urrrrd by then snivel whine), rows 70, deadlift 110.

the deadlifting was out of sequence. i already did it on friday at trainer day, so this was just light work to practice his suggested tweaks. i'm pleased at 70 being my new rowing weight, as it was juuuuuust hard enough that i could have let myself drop back to the perennial 65, and i sucked it up and found 70 was do-able after all.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lower hypertrophy

Supersets

Front squats 3x8 85#
    Single leg hip thrusts 3x16

Sumo deadlifts 3x8 135#
    Assisted pistol squats

Swiss ball hamstring curls single leg 3x12
    Deficit reverse lunges 25# Dumbbells 3x8 each leg

Abs - hanging leg circles, crunches and these horrible but oh so good planks 5 touches each wrist elbow shoulder hip knee and ankle
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Another new week!

Rest day yesterday, No lifting today.

30 mins spinning class (plus warm up) before work this morning instead.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Forgot to report on Saturday's workout:
    Squats 5x5 @ 75 lb with warmups at 45 and 60 lb
    OHP 5x5 @ 45 lb -- some days this is harder than others!
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 130 lb -- over/under grip is so helpful on this! I felt solid.

Trying to run at lunch today. Then 5x5 after work today. :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts rest day

Goblet squats-3X7X 25
    Kettle bell swing-22X9X 25

I can feel my fat burning machine revving up!
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Squat day! Finally stuff seems mostly normal for my weight lifting. The squat shoes are an adjustment as I'm taller all of a sudden. I just jumped in on the point of the program i'm in (untamed strength week3) matching my squat with my DL, which is my previous ratio.

Low bar squats 3x8 145lbs
    Planks

I think I should of gone a halfsize on the squat shoe, i can see why people like them really tight as they did loosen after my 3 sets so I had to adjust the fit. However the size down is $70 more as the size I got was on sale on amazon. BLEH. Either way, the shoes work, it's like the easy mode switched on and my ankle injury never happened.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You all and your squats! I'm so jealous... and looking forward to the day (year?) that I get so far.

Monday 5x5 workout:

Squats 5x5 @ 80 lb with warmup at 45 and 65 lb.
    Bench 5x5 at 55 lb with warmup at 45. I don't think this one warmup set really does much good other than it just feels really good. I am starting to see how those 1.25 or 1 lb mini plates would be helpful here.
    Barbell Boobs 5x5 @ 55 lb.

I think I need to watch some form videos and read some how-to stuff again just to make sure I'm doing stuff right.

I ran at lunch yesterday, one of my C25K workouts. I might try doing that every Mon/Wed then run at home Sat/Sun on good weather days.

today: 2 hr volleyball at lunch time. The best part of my week (sorry, 5x5, but vball is more fun).
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squat-1X 5X 65/75/85/95/105/115/120, 5X5X 122
    Sumo squats-5X5X107
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    BR-5X5X 85

I felt good doing all of these lifts today. I was supposed to do a deload on the BP and BR because I have not been able to add more weight. However, I think I am going to try to add a pound to these next time.

It finally got above 0°F so I am going to take my puppy for a walk. He loves being outside. But, he doesn't like the leash too much.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    @BethAnnieT you will get there before you know it!

ICF A for me today :smile: worked up.to the following...

SQ 4/5/4/4/5 @65kgs was a new best weight but clearly needs work.
    BP 5X5 @40kgs
    row 5x5 @40kgs also did some lighter barbell rows and some one arm dumbell rows to try and concentrate on not sticking my elbows out.
    Standing barbell curls 8/6/5@ 20kgs persevering with this!
    Barbell shrugs 3x8 @40kgs
    Overhead triceps extensions 3x8@12kgs
    Hyperextension 2x10 @10kgs
    Hanging leg raises 3x10

Also did 3 sort of negative pull ups....I'm determined to crack this somehow!!
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @kimiuzzell if you want to be able to do pull-ups I think the best thing you can do is practice everyday, even a couple of times a day. I started making much better progress, and finally cracked a full unassisted pull up, when I would do a couple of reps every time I walked past the pull up bar. (I have one at home so that helps.) I started with negatives, worked up to half pull ups and eventually a full.

Today:
    SQ: 5x5 at 35kg. Really working on form, happy with today so will slowly work the weight up again.
    BP: 31kg 5/5/5/5/4, third time failing at this weight so deloading to try again. The app also suggested reducing increments to 0.5kg which I think I'll do.
    BR: 5x5 at 32kg.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    So sleepy... I worked a coworker's morning cashier shift instead of having today off, so that meant being in at 8 am when I'm used to working closes. Made for a long day, then I went over and tried out the new gym with Upper Hypertrophy day. Not bad even at after 5:30 pm. The most people we had at one time was 5 total, most on the cardio. Saw the guy owner but didn't interact with him much other than he made a quick encouraging comment when he passed by taking a guy over to show him the cardio equipment. Didn't do cardio though because tired. I think I'm going to stop by Thursday after work to run on the treadmill. Have mid-day shift tomorrow then will do lifting maybe at new gym. Food wasn't the best today in that I forgot the jerky at home so all day I had just some snap peas, granola, peanuts and a latte (cause had my lunch break priorities so went and got one), along with a little bit of candy before gym. Had some better food when I got home, after the grocery store.

60 - Upper Power

incline bench 4x6 @ 80 - not enough reps as was a little too heavy but using the cage for them wasn't too bad, just different.
    db fly 4x8 @ 25 - okay. They don't have the incremental dumbbells at this one so it's either go up or down on some of these.
    one db row 4x9 @ 35
    seated row 4x8 @ 90 - challenging, feel like it could pull me forward and it's hard to get started to pull the weight and get seated in position because of the equipment and my short legs...
    lat raise 4x7 @ 15 - miss the 12.5 ones already
    bicep bar curl 4x10 @ 40 - meh, didn't have an attachment to use for the cable
    face pull 4x10 @ 50 - okay, different rope than I'm used to on it
    tricep ext 4x10 @ 80 - still a bit of a challenge
    hanging leg raises @ bw - tougher, I did straight leg then bended to bring knees up and not sure which struggled more, my stomach or forearms that were trying to hold me up. (Trying to add a tiny bit of ab work in some shape or form.)

Now I'm going to try and write a little, then get to bed.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Return to lifting take 735....(ish)

Squat - 3x5 at 105 lbs. Meh. Form was wobbly at first but I think it was just from being out of practice, not too heavy. Definitely got better by the end.
    Pull ups - 5,3,3!!!! I have never gotten 5 before! I guess climbing has helped here even if I haven't been making it to the gym.
    Bench - 3x5 at 70 lbs. Fine. No issues.
    Row - 3x5 at 80 lbs. Could be better. I think I will repeat this weight.

Shrugs - 3x8 at 70 lbs. Fine.
    Skullcrushers - 3x8 at 30 lbs.
    Bicep curls - 3x8 at 40 lbs.
    Hyperextensions - 3x10 with 25 lbs
    Cable crunches - 3x10 at 55 lbs.

Glute-ham raises...holy crap! These are soooo hard! I think I managed 4,5,4, but they were questionable. I don't know if I will keep doing these. They feel so awkward and I feel like I am going to fall off the machine. The new location I am trying had it though, so I wanted to give it a shot.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Upper power

Bench 90 4-3-3
    Pull up BW 3x5
    DB incline bench 35 3x8
    OHP DB 30 5-6-6
    Bent over BB row 75 3x6
    Biceps triceps abs

Tweeted something in my neck

So pull ups - negatives are good, assisted with bands or by a partner, and also TRX or barbell inverted rows. Start with you feet on the ground and move up to feet on a step, feet on a Swiss ball, one legged foot on a Swiss ball. The other thing I would recommend are latissimus dorsi shrugs from a dead hang (like the first 20 degrees of a pull up). You can also practice lock offs with elbows at 90 and 120 degrees. I often do my leg and knee raises for abs in lock off.

Once you can get a couple pull ups in a row start weighting them. Agree that you need frequency. I would say a minimum of 2x a week.

And never ever kip them unless you want shoulder surgery.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bench day!

Bench 3x8 95lbs - These went okay. I was drift to the right on the later reps, but otherwise okay.
    Dips
    Pendlay Rows 3x5 95lbs - I stopped doing these before because they were bugging my back. I reattempted them and rows were easy, but still really awkward.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Wow, thank you for the tips re pull ups! I do something towards them each time I am at the gym so 3-4 times a week.

It was my goal for 2014 to do one...then in spring that year I went over the handlebars of my road bike and did some nasty rotator cuff damage so that put paid to that for some time.

I really do want to crack it this year....thanks everyone for your help :-)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ninenines wrote: »
    @kimiuzzell if you want to be able to do pull-ups I think the best thing you can do is practice everyday, even a couple of times a day.

negatives totally kick-started all the relevant muscles for me. not that i ever got to a real pullup before this rib thing, but still. i was just exploding with lat and back strength for a while there.

MOB SCENE in my gym . . . not only people swarming all over the place, but the lockers removed for 'refurbishing' and a dude in a baseball cap had the smith machine on its face and its plates scattered around while he fixed something on it. in the midst of all the crazy traffic the weirdest thing was the rack stood empty and nobody wanted it from me until i was done anyway.

i did squats at 55 because i am still unable to decide whether i'm a democrat or a republican. just can't pick a variation of form and then stick to it. there were other sets at higher weights earlier, but i have nothing good to say about any of it. my bum's gone to sleep and my quads are roaring. and yeah, i know this means too much dorsiflexion, except it doesn't. it means i can't make up my mind about a few other factors. ggannnagnnaggghagh.

too cranky about that and gym too chaotic for much of anything else. i did punish myself for a while by going into static dead-parallel holds with a kettlebell in front of me and holding for 5x5-slow-breaths while staying almost neurotically tight, but idk if it's really helped much. buttwink is no longer my issue. my issue is: stay more upright and initiate by reducing anterior tilt and sitting down into my hips, or allow 45-degree angle and initiate with anterior tilt and a backwards hip hinge? i just cannot convince myself or my neurosystem that either of them is the right one.