Any slower runners here?

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Compared to those crazy Kenyans we are all slow.
    Definitely slower than the Kenyans or any World Class Professional/Amateur Athlete but in my local Running community I am just a little faster than the Avg Slogger. 23rd out of 110 in my last 10K Race - 2nd in my AG. Won't be that high this year as 6 Speed Demons have moved into my AG. Ultimately it's not about how fast you are compared to everyone else - Did you Have Fun? That is the greatest Motivator for me.
    hyg99 wrote: »
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered. Does make me laugh when people run past me at speed. I run 6.3 mph in gym for distances less than an hour but drops to 5.5 outside but it's the hills. ...
    Amen! I too run faster in the gym...and then head out my front door to a steep driveway and depending on what direction I go, it's just a steady incline (toward the base of a mountain)

I am exactly the opposite, I find the Gym ( track or dreadmill) to be slower than being outside on the trails - especially the Bush/Dirt/Gravel trails. I just enjoy the Fresh Air and scenery so I get lost ( complete mental relaxation ) in my runs.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I am exactly the opposite, I find the Gym ( track or dreadmill) to be slower than being outside on the trails - especially the Bush/Dirt/Gravel trails. I just enjoy the Fresh Air and scenery so I get lost ( complete mental relaxation ) in my runs.

I agree, I find every minute in the dreadmill to be a slog, but the same pace feels easier outdoors and I can run much faster.

I'm pretty slow too, and trying to stay that way and focus on building distance not speed - I seem to get injured a lot when I run fast too often. I need to make sure I've got that foundation again before I speed train.
    hyg99 wrote: »
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered.

Amen!

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of treadmill running but have to admit that when it's 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity those treadmills in air conditioned rooms with a built-in fan blowing on you are ahhhhmazing. :smiley:
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside too, so much more relaxing.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Just seeing this now. Another slow runner. I started C25K in May 2013, ran my first (and only) HM in June of 2014, got injured training for a full marathon I was supposed to run in June 2015, and am now rebuilding mileage to run that same marathon in June 2016. My HM time was 2:36, which was faster than I expected (wanted to finish under 3 hours & my "I'd be giddy with it" goal) was 2:45. Between the time off from running because of my injury & the fact that it's winter here (Yaktrax are my friend), I'm currently extra slow.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of treadmill running but have to admit that when it's 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity those treadmills in air conditioned rooms with a built-in fan blowing on you are ahhhhmazing. :smiley:

I agree! I don't mind running in the cold and snow, but heat. UGH!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread. Welcome!
    moominpoo wrote: »
    My pace is almost exactly the same as yours- I am on a mission to get quicker though!

I have a HM in March and would love to finish in 2hr 20 :smile:

My training pace is pretty much the same as the OP too, and that translated into a 2:04 HM (when properly trained), so I think you have good reason to be optimistic.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hello! I ran my second half in November 2015, with a PR of 2:29. I never thought I'd finish those last 3 miles. They were killer. Back in the summer I was running 10:30-11s, and somehow I've sped up slightly so now I'm in the 9:45-10:15 range. But I slacked off running after my half because of a hurt foot and am just now starting to run again. And watch calories. I realized when you aren't training for anything or running a lot...you definitely can't eat the same. Gained back several pounds in the last few months.

I also use Runkeeper to track my runs! If anyone wants to be RK friends/encouragers, send me a PM!

It took me 4 years and a lot of feeling inferior, but no matter what I run or how fast or how slow or how far, I am definitely a runner. :)
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Other people finish in half that or less, but at least I get twice the racing time for the same money :p

This is everything :)
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just did my longest run yet on Sunday (20 miles). It took me 5hrs 2min. I'm worried its going to take me too long to do the marathon in 3 weeks. What happens if you're really really slow? Do you still get a medal usually?
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @nicolejo143
    There are some races where they actually have sweepers to collect people after a cutoff time, when the course has to be opened to traffic again. But from your profile page I guess your marathon in 3 weeks is the LA marathon?
    On the race website they say that they
    "The 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon has a maximum net race day finish time of six hours and 30 minutes (6:30:59 from the time the last runner crosses the start line). The Marathon course will reopen for public use on a rolling schedule based on this time limit. Participants that fall behind this pace will be directed to the sidewalk and allowed to finish the race, but will not be guaranteed a finishing time."
    But on another website I have read this:
    "The LA Marathon will keep a timing mat, medal volunteers and food in a late finishers’ area"
    ( https://www.laleggers.org/la-marathon-course-will-close-in-6-5-hours/ ), so even if you take longer than that, you should be fine - and from the time of your 20 miles long run, I'm guessing you won't be that much longer, if at all.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just did my longest run yet on Sunday (20 miles). It took me 5hrs 2min. I'm worried its going to take me too long to do the marathon in 3 weeks. What happens if you're really really slow? Do you still get a medal usually?

When I ran the London Marathon (admittedly it was in 2002!) I came in at 5:51, I wasn't last(!) and I still got a medal and a goodie bag.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Me! Im around a 12mm for halfs. Hoping to drop from 2:38 this past nov to 2:20 this may.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I haven't run my half yet, but I'm in training I'm doing 10-12 mile long runs at 5-5.2 mph. So very, very slow. I don't think I'll ever have the stamina for a full marathon, but who knows? :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    I'm slow! For nearly a year I could not get much over 8:15min/km (13:17min/m) and was usually at around 8:24 min/km, but all of a sudden I can run around 7:30min/km. Still very slow but I don't care.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @nicolejo143
    There are some races where they actually have sweepers to collect people after a cutoff time, when the course has to be opened to traffic again. But from your profile page I guess your marathon in 3 weeks is the LA marathon?
    On the race website they say that they
    "The 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon has a maximum net race day finish time of six hours and 30 minutes (6:30:59 from the time the last runner crosses the start line). The Marathon course will reopen for public use on a rolling schedule based on this time limit. Participants that fall behind this pace will be directed to the sidewalk and allowed to finish the race, but will not be guaranteed a finishing time."
    But on another website I have read this:
    "The LA Marathon will keep a timing mat, medal volunteers and food in a late finishers’ area"
    ( https://www.laleggers.org/la-marathon-course-will-close-in-6-5-hours/ ), so even if you take longer than that, you should be fine - and from the time of your 20 miles long run, I'm guessing you won't be that much longer, if at all.

Yeah, its the LA Marathon. I hope I make it before then or I would feel kinda bad. I was worried about making the time limit for the half marathon I ran too and I ended up finishing over an hour faster than I thought I could. Hopefully for the marathon it's the same thing. I just got sick though but hopefully I'm better by next weekend.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Good luck at the weekend nicole143.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for my first marathon! Mine is in June and right now I'm running at about a 10-11 minute mile. I'm hoping to be able to pick up the pace but even if it's slow, 26.2 is an accomplishment!!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    10-11min miles for a marathon is great going. 10:30 equates to a 4hr 35min marathon. The median marathon time for a woman in the US is 4hr 44.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    10-11min miles for a marathon is great going. 10:30 equates to a 4hr 35min marathon. The median marathon time for a woman in the US is 4hr 44.

Interesting