Feeling hungry and depressed

Options
2»

Replies

• kdlepage
    kdlepage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    kdlepage wrote: »
    Thanks . I just googled it and plugged my number in. Unfortunately I just cut out the simple carbs not so sure I'm ready to cut the complex. I am struggling with out my bread :/ as it is.
    Obviously you have to be ready to do it, but you'll hear quite often that once you do it and get through just a couple weeks that your tastes change and you feel fine without it. Like you can have it right in front of you and not care.
    Kinda think of it like addiction. Except that it's possible to be around it again in the future without the "need" taking you over.
    That was me and sugar. Kicked my several movie theater sized boxes a week candy habit and haven't had even one tiny skip in over 8 months. I just don't have a taste for it anymore.

THANKS!!! I will keep this in mind when I hit the two week mark. Maybe I'll wean off !
  • pippacorcoran
    pippacorcoran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    zyxy55 wrote: »
    P.S. Good luck on your journey. It's all about finding what works best for you! And it like your doing that

Thank you :) yh eating when hungry seems to be a biggie where I'm going wrong , hangry all the time :)
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    I'm glad you're hitting the fat goal, but you mentioned feeling depressed. I'm wondering what is your primary source of fat? So... What kinds of fats are you eating? Something seems off that you're feeling both so hungry and depressed. This is so commonly a fat intake issue, so it's really hard for me to look beyond that to simply calories without asking about this first.
    But, there really is no reason to specifically try to eat that little. Honestly, you aren't going to lose tons faster if at all just because you have 150 calories less a day.

I'm eating tuna chicken and cream cheese and cream mainly as fat sources
  • pippacorcoran
    Options

You're welcome, I don't want you to get burnt out before you get where you want to be. I've tried so many times and gone all in felt great then crashed because it was not sustainable for me. Are you getting sodium and magnesium as well? Magnesium helps me a lot with anxiety.

I'm getting loads of sodium but not sure about magnesium
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    Pippa how many calories did MFP give you? It wouldn't have been under 1200 calories

Originally when I started about 1400
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    I put your stats into the scooby workshop calculator, and picked sedentary and the stats it gave me for you are:

-1881 calories to maintain your weight

-1504 calories to lose .3kgs per week. So yes, you could be eating a lot more.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thank you :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm glad you're hitting the fat goal, but you mentioned feeling depressed. I'm wondering what is your primary source of fat? So... What kinds of fats are you eating? Something seems off that you're feeling both so hungry and depressed. This is so commonly a fat intake issue, so it's really hard for me to look beyond that to simply calories without asking about this first.
    But, there really is no reason to specifically try to eat that little. Honestly, you aren't going to lose tons faster if at all just because you have 150 calories less a day.

I know why you're hangry...
    Are you adding full fat mayo to the tuna? Try it with mayo and avocado, it's delish and much more filling fat.
    You need butter and coconut oil stat!
    Dairy fats just don't have the filling factor like meat or butter fats or coconut oil and avocado.
    Plus coconut oil will, particularly MCT oil is highly Ketogenic so it will knock the appetite out.
    I think the best balanced low carb diet will include both coconut oil for its anti viral, anti bacterial, health boosting lauric acid and MCT oil for its concentrated caprylic acid to boost ketones for energy and appetite suppression.
    This will solve your hangry
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    But I think i know where I'm going wrong, I've set calories to 1000 and so carbs are 10%. Protein is 25% and fat is 65%. People have said this calorie intake is too low and I keep going over it slightly and I'm struggling to eat healthy under 1000 calories,

Just need some guidance on how many calories I should be aiming for, I'm ten stone 4 and 5 foot 1?

How many calories is everyone else having?

Your macros are the same as mine. Calories depend a lot of how active you are, if you're going to count them at all. Personally I don't. I don't know, but I think it would discourage fat eating, which, our macros will tell you, we want to do. Fat has about twice as many calories per gram than carbs or protein.

But MFP counts them for me, so I know my avg is 1200 calories. I just eat three meals a day till I'm satisfied, sometimes snacks but not usually. I usually shoot for under ten carbs a meal but this week I'm doing under five to see if it helps with my energy lag. Calories I don't even consider.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Exactly what @Sunny_Bunny_ said! Until you get the fat up you will be hangry! Please don't be afraid of them, like I was! They are your friend!!
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I´m on 1767 calories a day; I just concentrate on the macros though and that levels the calories out in the end. I´m 10 days in and never really hungry.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Fish and chicken are primarily polyunsaturated fats, and are fairly lean at that. Dairy is a blend of monounsaturated and saturated fats, and I suspect that the cream, especially, and probably the cheese, is kept to small amounts?

Don't be afraid of red meats (pork is red meat, btw), and don't be afraid of saturated fats. Between the overall lack of food and the lack of saturated fats, you're creating a perfect storm for depression. Eat more food in general, and eat more saturated fats, and your depression and anxiety should subside.

Seriously, go eat a plate of bacon, just to prove to yourself that you can.
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Fish and chicken are primarily polyunsaturated fats, and are fairly lean at that. Dairy is a blend of monounsaturated and saturated fats, and I suspect that the cream, especially, and probably the cheese, is kept to small amounts?

Don't be afraid of red meats (pork is red meat, btw), and don't be afraid of saturated fats. Between the overall lack of food and the lack of saturated fats, you're creating a perfect storm for depression. Eat more food in general, and eat more saturated fats, and your depression and anxiety should subside.

Seriously, go eat a plate of bacon, just to prove to yourself that you can.

Hahaha ok I shall do that!! I love pork!! Thanks for your help
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I am 4'11 and around 135. I usually eat between 1100 and 1500 depending on how hungry I am.
    I think 1000 calories is probably too low for you.

5ft4 and ditto @anglyn1 . Totally agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ and really love her expression: "You need butter and coconut oil stat!"

It took me a while to be brave and add coconut oil, avocado, meat fats and finally butter to my diet.
    kdlepage wrote: »
    Thanks . I just googled it and plugged my number in. Unfortunately I just cut out the simple carbs not so sure I'm ready to cut the complex. I am struggling with out my bread :/ as it is.

I started with low sugar. 3 to 5 days in I was no longer missing startches. Bread smells awesome but there are great recipes for alternatives if you want a way to reduce without cold turkey. For me, one piece of bread sounds as silly as one glass of wine or one cigarette for those addicted to those substances. Good luck.