I'm up to about 3 large mugs a day.
I like it more than pickle juice.
Who'd have thunk?

>:) or o:)

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that an addiction. I would call that a craving for something your body needs more of.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you like boullion, you would LOVE real homemade chicken bone broth...making some now:

xq6o0zi3w7ht.png

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting /

E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program

v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I like bouillon but I do need to get around to making bone broth.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    What brand do you all use? I can't stand the stuff I'm wondering if I just have crappy bouillon.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't use bullion cubes, though many do! I do make bone broth and have some on the stove now! Once you make your own (even if regular chicken broth) you won't eat the store bought stuff, imo!

Even if it's not a true "addiction" it's a great habit! :wink:
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm in canada so ours might be different even if by the same company. I HATED the bouillon cubes but used them because I hate cooking even more. I was using Aurora because it's cheap but it always had this awful cornstarch taste. I now use knorr and I'm amazed at the difference in taste!! Holy crap. I wouldn't say it's wonderful but it's light years away from the aurora brand. Just check the carb count. Some have a lot of sugar. I also tried the ones available in bulk from the bulk barn, they were similar to the aurora brand. Blech. Probably have to experiment with what brands are available to you. I do have reservations about the fact that most cubes are going to have msg and starch and yeast extract etc. But, I know I'm not bloody likely to make broth myself so....

One day I ran out and I made a cup of "soup" with Mrs. Dash and plain table salt. THAT deserves more experimentation. It was pretty good.

I tried making my own bone broth but It takes me too long to collect bones for the amount of soup I'm going to get out of it; Plus I can't really stomach all the fat globs that are in it. I know, I know. I could strain them out, mix them in etc. I think it's more just my aversion to cooking :) Though I know it REALLy isn't that difficult to make it.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I use the Knorr brand, as well. I quite like it. Must look into making bone broth. I've tried in the past to make stock/broth from scratch and it didn't go well. For me it was a lot of effort that returned a watery result. I may try again someday soon, but I find the store bought stuff super convenient, which works better for me as I don't have a lot of time to cook for myself.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try some different ones
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I don't use bullion cubes, though many do! I do make bone broth and have some on the stove now! Once you make your own (even if regular chicken broth) you won't eat the store bought stuff, imo!

Even if it's not a true "addiction" it's a great habit! :wink:

Amen sista'. The bullion is only convenient. You also have to watch MSG in them. They don't have fat or colagen either. Buy strictly for salt, they'll work fine.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tried to buy bullion with no MSG, but ended up buying one that was low sodium by mistake.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I finally was able to find myself a buillion cube that didn't contain any unfermented soy. I'm not sure if it actually has MSG in it or not...it probably does masquerading under a different ingredient name; however, that said, one thing I really like about the brand of bouillon cubes I use is that these bouillon cubes do actually contain fat! The brand is: Edward & Sons.
  • Beachlady228
    Beachlady228 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie. What is the benefit of bullion or pickle juice for LCHF?
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have started making my own bone broth and it is divine. So filling too.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    When we ate a LCHF diet or bodies produce ketones (by product of burning fat, WOO HOO!). These ketones are excreted through the urine (primarily), and they take sodium with them! Without replacement of these electrolytes you will feel like crap! The bullion, pickle juice.......combats the mine. :smiley:
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've made beef bone broth twice. And discarded it twice. I just couldn't bring myself to drink it as it was so unappealing. Obviously, I did something wrong. I guess I'll try chicken bullion. I like chicken soup better than beef based soup.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    dmedoff wrote: »
    I am a newbie. What is the benefit of bullion or pickle juice for LCHF?

They're palatable ways to get some extra salt, which you lose a lot of in the early days of entering ketosis.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    I've made beef bone broth twice. And discarded it twice. I just couldn't bring myself to drink it as it was so unappealing. Obviously, I did something wrong. I guess I'll try chicken bullion. I like chicken soup better than beef based soup.

I make bone broth using some meat too, and all the gristle.
  • DittoDan
    Options
  • justbreathesrw28
    justbreathesrw28 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love dill pickle juice!!! It's the bomb!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I love pickle juice, too; I crave it now!

I really need to try making my own broth.