New things you've discovered recently

Options

Replies

• zyxy55
    zyxy55 Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @AshleyC1023 I listen to a podcast called All in the Mind. A recent episode, "The second brain" featured a Dr. David Perlmutter and Dr. James Greenblatt who spoke about new research about the gut affecting the brain.

From the show notes: "There is a medical revolution underway with the potential to treat a range of behavioural and mood disorders, including autism, ADHD, MS and Alzheimer's disease. A growing number of scientists now believe that it is important not to ignore digestive issues because they see the gut as our second brain. The program explores the intricate relationship the gut microbiome has with the brain, and how early exposure to antibiotics, and consumption of the wrong foods, can throw this dangerously out of balance."

It sounds like they're still doing research, But are hopeful for future treatments. Maybe you've already learned about this, but if not hopefully there's some useful information for you.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/the-second-brain/6689202
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Coconut and Almond flour,. I knew it existed, but I thought it was some hippy stuff...I bought some of each today, lol.

Also I discovered that while I can buy my favorite Cabot cheese online and have it shipped, it is much easier to wait until this summer and just go to their creamery in VT to get my favorites. Horseradish cheese dip? Yes ma'am!

I am in the process of experimenting with non-grain baking. Pinterest has all sorts of recipes, some very good and some not so much. You have to keep trying to find what you like. The best recipes I've found so far use more than one kind of flour, which explains the almond flour, coconut flour, ground flaxseed, arrowroot and soy flour currently hogging space in my refrigerator.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Adderall XR is what the doc gave him today to give a try. 5 MG for the first week, up to 10 next week if he's still super off task. My daughter takes the Concerta 18 mg daily without issues.
    Luckily, my sons teacher also has ADHD and is very sympathetic and patient with him while we're figuring out what works. I feel bad doping him up, but he went from D's and F's to A's, B's, and a C in English - but the C in English is contributed to a learning disability (both of my ADHD children are also dyslexic) So the C in English was acceptable.

I have been slowly cutting their carbs back, but not drastically. But if I can help with their diet that's a big plus. Strattera is the next suggestion if the Adderall doesn't help him out.

Whoever told your daughter that is 100% right about the meds showing in the UA. My husband is active, and when I get the adderall and the concerta I have to sign a waiver (military pharmacy) that this medication will make your UA come up "hot" for methamphetamines. Now, if she can go off them long enough to get through basic, she can go back on them afterwards and then they check your med records when they drug test and you're all clear when it shows up. A lot more soldiers than you would think take ADHD medications (to include my husbands first sergeant, and boy is that man hyper and off focus when he doesn't take them - think 45 year old 4 year old on a sugar binge)

Don't feel bad about "doping", especially if it's working. Adderall is the only way I feel "normal". Even now on non med days, even with ketones, I lose mental focus. It's just a lot better than now than before Keto.
    My daughter was told that she should deny even having ADHD. That it would make it hard for her to be accepted. It really stinks that she has to take the test without meds, but she did pretty good with exams a couple weeks ago at school with the supplements.
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always kind of wondered if they felt different with being distracted and whatnot. Today is day 1 of adderall for my son so we'll see how it goes on the 5 mg. His teacher is going to keep me in the loop on how he functions all day.

Did a recruiter tell her that? If so, find a new recruiter to talk to. Denying it is a double edged sword, and most recruiters are notoriously shady - a lot of them don't care as long as they can ship you off to basic so be forewarned. There are honest ones, just be wary, and anything she wants included in her contract, get it in writing or it doesn't count.
    Before you go to the entrance processing, they give you a long questionnaire about your medical health, to which at the bottom you certify that it is accurate. The issue here is it really does depend on what kind of job she wants in the military. If it requires a security clearance, you have zero expectations of any privacy (medical records included, you sign forms for them to go dig through that if they feel it's necessary - my top secret they didn't bother) and then you get busted. Then it comes out that you lied and your clearance is more than likely going to be denied. Now, if you pick a job that requires a clearance and you don't get that clearance, they do one of two things: Reclass you, to whatever job they seem fit (needs of the Army) that doesn't require a clearance OR discharge you. Best to maybe not say anything until she's in, but to be completely honest on the SF86 (which is this 20 page packet to fill out for security clearance).
    For the clearance, it doesn't matter if she has ADHD, but the integrity part matters a whole lot. There are a lot of decent jobs that don't generally require it, but some units require it regardless of your job. My husband is field artillery - this is a no clearance job. However, because his unit worked with civilian contractors testing equipment, he has a clearance.
    My ex husband lost his clearance for lying on the form last year. He is an alcoholic (which is a disqualifying factor in itself but not necessarily a disqualifying factor if they are getting help for it) 11 years in the military flushed down the toilet. They interview your friends, family, co workers and if anything doesn't mesh, they dig deep.

Since she's off it now it's out of her system and she'll pass the drug testing no issue. Also, the "test" doesn't matter that much. It's more of a placement test. Even if you score low on it, there are still jobs available. Have the recruiter do a mock test to see where she falls. I find that I scored a 77/100 on the mock test, but 89/100 on the real test. So don't get discouraged!

Sorry, I wrote a book.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This week I'm trying to cut down on my PB2 consumption , so I tried mixing natural peanut butter with coconut oil and a little stevia to sweeten. Makes great fudge!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    This week I'm trying to cut down on my PB2 consumption , so I tried mixing natural peanut butter with coconut oil and a little stevia to sweeten. Makes great fudge!

Mmmm that sounds good
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sunny_Bunny_, I too really struggle with focus. I (thank goodness) do not suffer with ADHD. In 2015, I lost my mom and my ex husband (my sons father). It's been difficult to work since then due to daydreams, starting too many tasks, just staying motivated. Yesterday was a breakthrough for me. And guess what-- down 1.2 lbs this morning
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I recently revisited the Walden Farms Web site. Actually, now that I think about it the last time I tried any Walden Farms products, the World Wide Web was nothing but a gleam in some researcher's eye.

They used to make mostly salad dressings and most of them were pretty bad, which explains why it's been so long for me. They now make a zillion different products: salad dressings, fruit spreads, mayo, catsup, coffee creamers and so on, all zero carb. Their Web site listed a string of stores in my area, only one of which is in business in its original form. That retailer has a nice selection and I'm weeding through what is still awful and what I really like.

The Good: pancake syrup (amazingly good), mocha coffee creamer, apple butter, raspberry fruit spread, spicy mayo. The Ugly: the other coffee creamers, seafood sauce, catsup. The store owner warned me about their inedible peanut spread and recommended PB2, which I already like and use all the time.

I found Walden Farms pancake syrup over the weekend, and drizzled a bit of it over a few small pieces of brie yesterday. So good, and knocked out my sugar cravings. Next step, try cooking with it. I got some paleo recipes that I can try to keto-ize.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    MerryOne00 wrote: »
    Sunny_Bunny_, I too really struggle with focus. I (thank goodness) do not suffer with ADHD. In 2015, I lost my mom and my ex husband (my sons father). It's been difficult to work since then due to daydreams, starting too many tasks, just staying motivated. Yesterday was a breakthrough for me. And guess what-- down 1.2 lbs this morning

MCT and Krill oil will be a huge help for those symptoms. I promise!

@AshleyC1023 thanks for all the information. So far she hasn't been able to pass the practice test, but the last time she tried, we hadn't worked out our supplementing and the first time she tried, she was actually still on meds.
    I definitely don't like either of the recruiters we've seen so far. The Army guy was adamant that she not reveal she has ever been diagnosed and especially that he told us that. The Navy recruiter doesn't even know because Army guy said to never speak those words again. Not sure how to proceed in finding a different recruiter without revealing the info about him advising her to lie and not possibly messing up her chances in process... Ugh!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote:
    I liked the idea of the original post but the discussion wandered off into ADHD. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I'd really like to read more about things that people have discovered that support this WOE.

I've got two --

Doctor in the Kitchen brand has some crackers that are edible and have only 1 net carb in 6 crackers. They are called Flackers and are made of sprouted flax seed. They aren't water crackers but they aren't awful. They'll do when I want some crackers to put my cheese on.

The other thing is Salted Caramel Black Tea by Bigalow. Very tasty, and slightly sweet.

Moved from a duplicate thread.
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    Well my apologies if you don't like that I asked for the sake of my children, since Sunny had mentioned benefits being something she had discovered and I had more questions. I thought that was the idea of a forum was to have candid discussions, and I "discovered" something new and potentially beneficial from this thread.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @newsue52 I totally understand your feelings on that. It happens a lot in threads that there will be other sub conversations going on. You just never know what will come from someone's post and how it might help someone else. I tend to skim past the stuff that doesn't relate to me, but I definitely am so happy you shared your new things. I've heard of those flax crackers before, I've made some too with just flax meal and water then in the oven to dry them till crisp. They worked but didn't taste delicious even after adding seasoning. I'm going to have to try the flackers and see if they work better. +1 on the bigelow tea, I just had a cup of there very kind, its so yummy. I also had read where you can steep them in milk to make a flavored creamer for your coffee, if your into that kind of stuff. Sounds so good.

@ashleyc1023 I don't think there was any ill meaning in Sue's post. I'm glad you and @sunny_bunny_ were able to share so much information. You just never know where a thread will lead to :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I don't think @NewSue52 meant anything by it. I think she was just trying to keep things clean and neat. But, splitting it is going to make it even harder to keep the conversation going. I always like hearing about new things myself.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did not mean to be insulting. However, I got lost in the discussion that might have been better as a private message. You can always email someone if you want more information. I agree that the forum is for candid discussion. Perhaps the discussion of ADHD warrants a thread of its own especially if it is a topic that will benefit others. It might not be serving the greater good buried in another discussion
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    I did not mean to be insulting. However, I got lost in the discussion that might have been better as a private message. You can always email someone if you want more information. I agree that the forum is for candid discussion. Perhaps the discussion of ADHD warrants a thread of its own especially if it is a topic that will benefit others. It might not be serving the greater good buried in another discussion

that's a really good point, there was tons of information in there that might not be seen by others if they don't wander into this thread
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    Except private messages aren't shared with the world. I find lots of things via google that are in this group. But I'm done. I'm glad I could get some insight from someone helpful out of it, other than snack ideas.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I suppose I'm the one that started the subject matter. But it is still something I've discovered recently. It's only recent couple months that I've been applying the use of MCT this way.
    What's the point of sharing a great Ketogenic product in a thread about new discoveries if not to discuss it?
    I've learned a lot about things that don't apply to me directly, like PCOS and cholesterol. I find it to be very interesting and helps to build a greater understanding of overall health. So, it didn't occur to me that we two were the only audience that might be interested in the info.
    Apologies.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I totally have to try that Walden farms pancake syrup. My sister sent me a recipe for lc waffles using protein powder, they look so good but I need syrup on waffles. Though I will make a carb exception for pure maple syrup, I'd like to be able to enjoy more than occasionally
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I'm sure there are others interested in the info as well. I don't have an ADHD Dx but I struggle with focus, and one of my twins has possible symptoms.

New things I've discovered ... I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm glad I hit upon a version of BPC that I actually like. ;) 1/2 Tbsp of coconut oil, 30 ml of HWC, some SF syrup and 2 cups of coffee. Yum. I hope to gradually increase the coconut oil, though I might try MCT oil instead.

Also, my new favorite (and super quick) keto treat:
    2 Tbsp nut butter, 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes, about 1 Tbsp of raw cacao nibs and a bit of splenda, all mixed together and microwaved for maybe 30 seconds. So tasty and I think it might replace my former cookie dough addiction. ;)
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I discovered today that 1/8 tsp of my salt free potassium "salt" in my big water bottle actually made it taste BETTER. I drank it like a mad mad in the desert and therefore almost rendering the potassium supplements I bought yesterday, useless.

1/8tsp provided over 300mg potassium while the supplements were $9 for 100 @99mg each.

I bought the lite salt so long ago, I don't remember how much it was, but I know it's way more cost effective. Someone on here mentioned it a while ago (which is why I tried it) Just wish I would have "remembered" it before buying the supplements. :( Whatever. I'm keto for life. I'll get around to them I suppose.