Just Joined - Menopause Stinks

Options

Replies

• ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    cdover10 wrote: »
    Which essentials are you using and how do you apply them? My hot flashes are crazy too. I can't tell you how many I have a day. Trying to find some relief.

@cdover10 - so far I've been using Lavender, Clary Sage and Rose Otto... I put them in my lotion, rub on my feet and put socks on and I put those 3 in my diffuser that runs all night. But I just ordered a PMS blend from Amazon... I'll let you know how that goes. I also take Black Cohosh - it's an herbal supplement for hot flashes/female issues. I probably have 5-6 during the day and 3-4 at night.

I hope this helps.
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi all! In the same boat. I was peri for two years and 60 pounds piled on very slowly. My last cycle was in July so menopausal but a few months from the official word.

Just woke up with my sugar really low. Had a bad day not eating much after not feeling well and my sugar was low. This thread was timely. Left hubby a note to wake me to eat breakfast at a normal time. Will look to see if there is a welcome thread to introduce me and my symptoms. Hope everyone has a good day. Thanks for being here. It really does help!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    skdk833 wrote: »
    Hi all! In the same boat. I was peri for two years and 60 pounds piled on very slowly. My last cycle was in July so menopausal but a few months from the official word.

Just woke up with my sugar really low. Had a bad day not eating much after not feeling well and my sugar was low. This thread was timely. Left hubby a note to wake me to eat breakfast at a normal time. Will look to see if there is a welcome thread to introduce me and my symptoms. Hope everyone has a good day. Thanks for being here. It really does help!!!!

Welcome!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    im just PRAYING for the day science discovers the "caffeine and wine" therapy actually works... you can bet ill be first in line to volunteer for that study!! And they wont even have to pay me to participate.. nope nope nope !!

in a few years into menopause and can totally relate to everyone's frustrations, hot flashes, and a firmly building disbelief in the simple CICO at this stage.. I do believe that the hormone explosion taking place inside us definitely impacts on weight loss at this stage; and the more I learn about how what we eat can help/hinder those fluctuations, the more im convinced CICO is only one part of the equation - I still believe it's necessary to use more calories than I consume of course... but I no longer think that's the only answer - for me anyway..

it helps to know we're not alone too... right now i'm struggling with mood swings which are not "that" normal for me.. I go from a high euphoria and feeing good to an Oscar worthy impression of Reagan in the Exorcist in a heartbeat LOL... o:)
    I
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am post-menopause and struggling too. Have been very careful since August, first with WW then to MFP (again) and have managed to take off 12 pounds, but it is eating barely over my BMR. I started working out every day on top of my 4-6 miles a day walking, and lifting weights, and since then have lost one pound. I am now at 25 days in a row on the elliptical (it helps relieve stress, no judgement). If I were in my 30's I would have lost 25 pounds by now. Ageism is real, but this time it is our bodies, not someone else :(
  • slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Do agree with you on that one, the older we get sometimes the weight does not come off so easily no matter what you do. Couple that with menopause, life kids and everything else we women do not have it easy lol!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Nature's sunshine makes a vitamin/herb pack called "natural changes" which worked great for me to eliminate the hot flashes and insomnia. It calls for 2 packs a day, but after the first month I was able to drop down to 1 pack a day without any recurrence of symptoms...after 90 days I was able to stop taking it entirely without a return of symptoms, but I'm only just starting this journey, so I expect at some point I will need to go back on it. I think it's been about 10 months since I last took it.

Also, there are cell salts for menopause, however I don't have any personal experience with those regarding menopause, they work great for everything else!
  • KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. 46 yo and have been going through menopause since age 37 (POI/POF). Long road to get on correct bio-identicals (I take Vivelle and progesterone) and now trying to lose 30 lbs, Looking for tips and tricks. So far I've been doing Jillian Michael's BodyShred the last 6 weeks. I see my muscles tightening and have lost an inch but only ONE lb! I mean REALLY??? Need some support because weight loss at this age is definitely a long game!
  • lisapierce5277
    lisapierce5277 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will tell u girls something that works for me, I am 51 years old and I never thought I could lose weight I went on alot of diets and even calorie count but when I started eating every 3 hours I tricked my body into releasing the fat. I eat eggs scrambled for breakfast and then 3 hours later maybe cottage chees with pineapples and then lunch grilled chicken with salad. I use the right portions. But I am at a steady 2.5 pounds a week. It's a miracle, cause this has never happend for me before. I do have hot flashes but control them with black kohosh and evening primrose. I have insomnia but ain't got that one licked yet. I have tried every drug at drug store and melatonin. But thought maybe the eating every 3 hours may help somebody. I really don't believe a calorie is a calorie. Carbs will keep u from losing. I eat protein and fiber alot. And small portions it was so hard at first but as my stomach shrunk it got easier. Took about two weeks. And of.course i work out 45 minutes at home 4 days a week to start. Add me as a friend if u would like. I haven't learned how to do that yet.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just found this group and thanks for all the helpful advice. I lost 75 pounds in 2015. I am low(ish) carbs which is nowhere near The 20 grams at Atkins induction. I eat a lot of veggies and probably stay between 60-80 grams
    I don't eat many processed foods or artificial sugar which may have helped control my symptoms.
    I have hot flashes which are worse when I eat crappy and drink cocktails. I had sporadic periods for the last year and had my last one 10/31/15. Almost 3 months.
    I know maintenance will be a stuggle but I have non scale goals set and am feeling as motivated now as last January
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just saw a nutritionist that my doctor referred me to. I'm not sure if I am happy or sad that I didn't hear anything I didn't already know and just wasn't putting into practice. She didn't see anything wrong with the types of food I normally eat (the ones I eat when I'm trying not to create more problems, ha!) and suggested that, for now, I continue as I am but make sure I'm logging correctly, and increase my exercise and water intake. She felt I was okay at 40% carbs, just more nutritious carbs and maybe keeping them to earlier in the day when I'm more active. More quinoa, less beer? :) I'm not sure about that %-age, but I'll tweak as needed. It seems many of you have success with less or slightly less, so I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

She didn't recommend that I take anything for menopause symptoms unless they are unbearable. As of now, I can live with the night sweats. They're usually bearable unless I've had a drink or during warmer weather. I'll revisit that in the spring! The anxiety and mood swings can sometimes be problematic, but I'll see if increased exercise, and hopefully some weight loss results, alleviates that a bit. I guess they still haven't invented the magic menopause bullet.

I long for the day when this didn't require near as much thought, effort, planning....No wonder I lack energy. :)
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    LB30 - have to say, when I read your last line "long for the day when this didn't require near as much thought, effort and planning..." I was nodding my head and may have even whispered YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :'(:*:)

welcome LOL
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I will tell u girls something that works for me, I am 51 years old and I never thought I could lose weight I went on alot of diets and even calorie count but when I started eating every 3 hours I tricked my body into releasing the fat. I eat eggs scrambled for breakfast and then 3 hours later maybe cottage chees with pineapples and then lunch grilled chicken with salad. I use the right portions. But I am at a steady 2.5 pounds a week. It's a miracle, cause this has never happend for me before. I do have hot flashes but control them with black kohosh and evening primrose. I have insomnia but ain't got that one licked yet. I have tried every drug at drug store and melatonin. But thought maybe the eating every 3 hours may help somebody. I really don't believe a calorie is a calorie. Carbs will keep u from losing. I eat protein and fiber alot. And small portions it was so hard at first but as my stomach shrunk it got easier. Took about two weeks. And of.course i work out 45 minutes at home 4 days a week to start. Add me as a friend if u would like. I haven't learned how to do that yet.

Have you tried magnesium supplements? This helps with sleep and a lot of other issues when you are lower carb.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    LB30 wrote: »
    She felt I was okay at 40% carbs, just more nutritious carbs and maybe keeping them to earlier in the day when I'm more active. More quinoa, less beer? :) I'm not sure about that %-age, but I'll tweak as needed. It seems many of you have success with less or slightly less, so I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

I find that about 20% carbs is working well for me.

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I tried black cohosh and it was great for hot flashes and also made me feel better over all and regulated my now crazy periods and even brought some sex drive back (!!!), but it makes me retain fluid like crazy. And that is bad for raising blood pressure, etc. plus it makes the scale go up and just makes me feel funny.

So, back to square one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I tried black cohosh and it was great for hot flashes and also made me feel better over all and regulated my now crazy periods and even brought some sex drive back (!!!), but it makes me retain fluid like crazy. And that is bad for raising blood pressure, etc. plus it makes the scale go up and just makes me feel funny.

So, back to square one.

Does it make you retain water? Interesting! A friend found her liver values were wonky on it.
  • LB30
    edited January 2016
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    She felt I was okay at 40% carbs, just more nutritious carbs and maybe keeping them to earlier in the day when I'm more active. More quinoa, less beer? :) I'm not sure about that %-age, but I'll tweak as needed. It seems many of you have success with less or slightly less, so I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

I find that about 20% carbs is working well for me.

Yes, I'm going to keep an eye on this. I don't want to cut carbs if I don't have to because they make me happy, but I accept the reality that I may HAVE to. :'( I follow up with her in 5 weeks so I am more likely to 'behave' because of that. I'm hoping that will be ample time to see where I need to be for now. I'm sure it will change again. :/
  • LB30
    Options

So, back to square one.

If you (or anyone) comes across or knows of anything that can help with libido, please let me know before I end up divorced. :)
  • deksgrl
    Options

So, back to square one.

If you (or anyone) comes across or knows of anything that can help with libido, please let me know before I end up divorced. :)

Fake it?

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    libido help:

Slumber parties has 2 products, x-scream and nympho niagra

I have not used them individually, only together, and they will make you want to climb on top of any remotely phallic object.