ABC show "My Diet Is Better Than Your Diet"

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I've not watched, since the first half of the first episode, but on the main boards folks are saying that the wild diet dieter says he's eating around 1,000 calories a day (I can't remember the exact range) and the trainer is not disagreeing? Why is that big man eating so little?

The plan involves not counting calories. So, it is very likely he is eating more than that. But, if you are very heavy, your hunger on low carb can be extremely low. He might be eating that little because his body isn't asking for food. It has plenty of energy, he is giving it the right nutrients, and it doesn't ask for excess.

My calories started low, unintentionally, (well 1600 ish) and rose as my fat stores went down. Same thing probably happened to him, except he had much more excess.

I get it, but again, If the plan doesn't count calories, why bring them up? I get LCHF but that wild diet seems wildly contradictory!

One contestant accused the Wild Dieter of cheating. The host asked how many calories the Wild Dieter thought he ate the previous day. He guessed. He wasn't really hungry that day and didn't eat much.
    IIRC.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I've not watched, since the first half of the first episode, but on the main boards folks are saying that the wild diet dieter says he's eating around 1,000 calories a day (I can't remember the exact range) and the trainer is not disagreeing? Why is that big man eating so little?

The plan involves not counting calories. So, it is very likely he is eating more than that. But, if you are very heavy, your hunger on low carb can be extremely low. He might be eating that little because his body isn't asking for food. It has plenty of energy, he is giving it the right nutrients, and it doesn't ask for excess.

My calories started low, unintentionally, (well 1600 ish) and rose as my fat stores went down. Same thing probably happened to him, except he had much more excess.

I get it, but again, If the plan doesn't count calories, why bring them up? I get LCHF but that wild diet seems wildly contradictory!

If I had to guess, I'd say a prompt got edited out or something.

And how does one comment by a contestant make an entire diet "wildly contradictory"?

It seems odd to call it a "primarily plant based diet" (on the website and otherwise), then focus mostly on animals.
    It seems odd to say it doesn't count calories, then talk about calorie counts (and have them be very low).
    It just seems contradictory to me.
    The website references grass fed, high quality meats. The contestant talks about hot dogs. I dunno. I guess I'm just not made for reality tv. :smile: but I already knew that. ha. Carry on!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I read something once where a bunch of overweight people were guessing how much they ate a day. And then they actually counted for a few days. Many of the estimates were as much as half the actual consumption. You just cannot guess how many calories even close to accurately unless maybe you spent a good deal of time actively counting so that you learned how to be more accurate.
    I'm sure he's realizing that he's eating a ton less volume each day and naturally feels that must equal crazy low calories. He's not counting calories and there was no mention of him spending any time previously counting calories so he is making an uneducated guess.
    When someone heavy says, "Oh, I don't even eat very much. I don't know why I keep gaining weight". NO ONE BELIEVES A WORD OF IT!
    But he says "I'm guessing I ate between 800-1100 calories yesterday" ITS SUDDENLY AN ABSOLUTE TRUTH.
    The reason why has to do more with the interpretation than reality. It's a matter of defense. It doesn't fit the traditional mold. It doesn't fit what is "normal". So, let's ignore how visibly energized he looks. Ignore his immediate improvement of several health markers. Ignore that he states how amazing he feels. Ignore that he's finally feeling hopeful for a long, healthy life. Ignore that he could barely pick himself up off the ground when he started and placed 2nd in the half marathon only 14 weeks later. No, no... He's obviously ruining his health! OMG! Somebody save him!
    Lol
    I just don't understand this kind of blind concern
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was curious what my percent of weight lost would be, so I had to calculate it.
    17% in almost 9 months. Though, I haven't lost much at all since October, so...
    But the point is, I would've lost the competition! Lol
    Still, not bad considering I do practically no exercise at all. Lol

I went back and calculated it at the 14 week mark. I had lost 12.1% at that point. I would've been in last place! ☹
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ 17% loss is something to be proud of :smile: even if the last couple of months were just maintenance, which is a success in itself. Congrats on keeping off your big loss and losing a bit more.
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Kurt in the last episode commeted that his total caloric intake was between 1100 and 1600 kcal. Thats too low considering he is a big guy
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    It's really not too low for a short term run. I mean, he's carrying around lots of nourishment for his body. Plus, while he may have days that low, I do not believe he's estimating accurately. And I'm sure he also has days that eats more. It will balance out.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's really not too low for a short term run. I mean, he's carrying around lots of nourishment for his body. Plus, while he may have days that low, I do not believe he's estimating accurately. And I'm sure he also has days that eats more. It will balance out.

This ^^^
    I have days when I am busy and working out makes me not hungry at all. I don't generally eat breakfast, and if I do a long run in the evening, I may end up with only 600-800 calories for the day (my lunch meal). I'm not big on forcing myself to eat when I don't want to, so I am not super concerned. If Kurt had a day where he got busy and wasn't hungry, it is plausible he only had one meal. Or he is wildly underestimating. Honestly, as long as he is eating healthy food to satiety, and is losing weight, whatever he is doing is working for him.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

He's also working out intensively.

Again, it's a reality tv show, so therefore not based in reality in the slightest. But it doesn't seem very healthy for his size.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Again, it's a reality tv show, so therefore not based in reality in the slightest. But it doesn't seem very healthy for his size.

Other than the competition challenges, Kurt is the one contestant that isn't actually working out intensely. He's only doing 7 minutes of HIIT a day.
    Anyway, I am a believer that as long as you're following hunger cues, your body will not purposely allow you under eat to the point that it affects your health or metabolism. Especially when exercise is part of your daily life. This is the basis of the whole idea that you don't have to count calories on Keto. Because as long as you eat when you're hungry, there's no need to eat when you're not. Learning to eat based on hunger alone is vitally important to be able to get to the point that you're sort of on autopilot and can maintain weight without really trying at some point. That's really the goal right? I don't plan to be weighing food and tracking forever. If I can't learn to only eat in response to my body's demand for it, I don't think I'm going to be set up very well for the years to come.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Other than the competition challenges, Kurt is the one contestant that isn't actually working out intensely. He's only doing 7 minutes of HIIT a day.
    Anyway, I am a believer that as long as you're following hunger cues, your body will not purposely allow you under eat to the point that it affects your health or metabolism. Especially when exercise is part of your daily life. This is the basis of the whole idea that you don't have to count calories on Keto. Because as long as you eat when you're hungry, there's no need to eat when you're not. Learning to eat based on hunger alone is vitally important to be able to get to the point that you're sort of on autopilot and can maintain weight without really trying at some point. That's really the goal right? I don't plan to be weighing food and tracking forever. If I can't learn to only eat in response to my body's demand for it, I don't think I'm going to be set up very well for the years to come.

okay. I don't watch the show, just think that's not enough calories. But I'll bow out. This is a good reminder why I DONT watch reality tv.
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Like it
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I loved Kurts interview with Able on The Fat Burning Man podcast!
    It talks about so much of the stuff that we discussed here. He even says that he was just guessing when he said he was eating very low calories because he never thought to count butter and bone broth and stuff like that. And since he wasn't counting calories he really had no idea. They also talk about how all the contestants often ate together while filming and he abd Able typically were eating more than most people.
    There's so much great info in this pod cast. He talks about the scale not mattering. He talks about how it took quite a while before he started to actually see the results himself because he still just saw the same fat guy in the mirror. He talks about how little exercise he did compared to the others because of his past medical issues. They also discuss that even though Jasmine technically won, that she didn't lose as much body fat from her total percentage lost because she lost a fair amount of lean muscle too and Kurt didn't.
    They finally said the magic word, ketosis too! Kurt said he was registering in ketosis by the end of week one. And Abke talks about how he didn't give Kurt any limits at all the first week because he just wanted him to eat all he wanted to so he could get fat adapted. So many of the things that are discussed in our group were touched on in this podcast. Not limiting calories too much. Not limiting calories while adapting.
    It was great! Give it a listen.
    http://fatburningman.com/kurt-morgan-my-diet-is-better-than-yours-the-wild-diet-losing-87-pounds-in-14-weeks/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Oh my gosh! And something huge! Kurts wife lost more than any of the female contestants in the show! She wasn't even following the diet very strict because he said she would still drink a Coke sometimes! But, apparently, she lost more than Jasmine!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    OK--read this.... am now watching Episode 1, it seems like there are Seven in the que that can be viewed, thanks for title.

The Wild Guy Diet does sound like our "WOE"...he is expalining Bone Broth; will watch and read more.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    OK--read this.... am now watching Episode 1, it seems like there are Seven in the que that can be viewed, thanks for title.

The Wild Guy Diet does sound like our "WOE"...he is expalining Bone Broth; will watch and read more.

You're gonna love it!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I think people on the weight loss competition shows often ignore lean-body mass losses. There are a few that account for body fat percentages lost, but most don't consider the loss of muscle as a detriment. Keeping as much muscle as possible is important.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That would be cool if they went with fat percentage lost instead of body weight. Maybe penalize them if they lost lean body mass instead of fat.... Losses would be a bit slower i bet.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the podcast, it's pretty interesting. And, it might have motivated my SO to get back on the wagon.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Poor Jeff -- the "No Diet Plan", just feel he got a raw deal also the lady Natasha who is eating all that food 4 times a day--can't believe how riveting just watching this is on "On Demand" (comcast) ....really hope everyone continues to put their health first after the show is over.