Food Shopping with FIT Goat

Options
2»

Replies

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am very envious of those who have local butchers and farm-fresh meat and eggs. I whole-heartedly believe in organic, grass fed, happy cows, but unfortunately my wallet can only afford GMO-fed, antibiotic-full, sick and tortured feed lot cows, so I will just eat what I can afford now and aim for cleaning that part of my diet once I get a better job, with a better paycheck. Don't let 'best' be the enemy of 'good'.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    how easy/difficult it is to use a meat grinder? is it a bulky machine to be put on a kitchen table?. Do you pretreat them with salt pepper spices etc before you freeze them? lastly do you weigh them before you eat to assess your calorie intake?

Mine is an attachment that goes on my wife's Kitchenaid Mixer. It doesn't take up much room, only as much as the mixer, which is usually in the cabinet. I wouldn't leave it on the table all the time, but you could. You can season the meat before you grind it. You just cut the meat up into bits (around 1 inch cubes work well), and drop them in the top. The grinder basically does the rest.

Typically, I don't track my food or count calories. I am tracking (roughly) for a friend, right now, but even that is only very rough estimates. I put my burgers in as 80/20 ground beef, which may or may not have been accurate. If I was going to try and make it right, I would weigh the fat and lean separately. Then I would grind them with the lean and fat bits spread as evenly as possible. Then I could weigh the final product with an idea of if it was 80/20 (or whatever). That's a lot of work. It's too much work for me.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I've got the Kitchenaide attachment also. My kitchenaide is always on my counter top, but I only bring the grinder attachment out when I am about to use it. The last time I ground meat, I did chicken, and made the meat into sausage meat to wrap around eggs to make Scotch eggs. ( Chicken or turkey doesn't shrink as much when cooking, which might expose the eggs ) I think I weighed the whole thing after I cooked it, then subtracted the weight of the egg. I do weigh daily, but sometimes I just make my best guess. I made a few of them at once.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I've got the Kitchenaide attachment also. My kitchenaide is always on my counter top, but I only bring the grinder attachment out when I am about to use it. The last time I ground meat, I did chicken, and made the meat into sausage meat to wrap around eggs to make Scotch eggs. ( Chicken or turkey doesn't shrink as much when cooking, which might expose the eggs ) I think I weighed the whole thing after I cooked it, then subtracted the weight of the egg. I do weigh daily, but sometimes I just make my best guess. I made a few of them at once.

Ooh, great tip!

I need to look into the grinder attachment. I need to look into getting portions of meat that would feed a FIT_Goat.
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    so kitchen aid is a good brand for food processing and grinding? Any particular model would you recommend?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I only have the Kitchenaide mixer, not the food processor. I've had mine for years. It's the one that has the lever at the back and lifts up to raise the beaters from the bowl, not the one that hinges and tilts back, lol, if that's any help. I used to do a lot of baking before I went low carb, and used to bake all our bread instead of buying bread, and after wearing out my old Osterizer , I needed something with a stronger motor, so bought the Kitchenaide and find it to be a good quality machine. I wouldn't recommend you spend too much if you are just going to use it as a grinder, which is mostly how I use mine now. It was cheaper for me to get the grinder attachment for a machine I already own than to buy a grinder. You could probably get a separate grinder for cheaper.

I probably have used my Vitamix more in recent years, but not as much since Keto.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I only have the Kitchenaide mixer, not the food processor. I've had mine for years. It's the one that has the lever at the back and lifts up to raise the beaters from the bowl, not the one that hinges and tilts back, lol, if that's any help. I used to do a lot of baking before I went low carb, and used to bake all our bread instead of buying bread, and after wearing out my old Osterizer , I needed something with a stronger motor, so bought the Kitchenaide and find it to be a good quality machine. I wouldn't recommend you spend too much if you are just going to use it as a grinder, which is mostly how I use mine now. It was cheaper for me to get the grinder attachment for a machine I already own than to buy a grinder. You could probably get a separate grinder for cheaper.

I probably have used my Vitamix more in recent years, but not as much since Keto.

You have the professional series, then. The artisan series is the one where the head tilts. Either is fine, the only difference is the pro supports larger bowels and might be a bit more powerful, but I've never had an issue with my little Artisan. It's a workhorse.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited, I just realised that my KitchenAid emulsion blender comes with a meat mincing blade. I had totally forgotten! I'm excited to make my own sausage meat this weekend. Any tips on which cut of pork to use?
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When we still lived in the UK I used these people for sausage making supplies/recipes etc. They have the things for making your own bacon to!!!!
    http://www.sausagemaking.org/
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    do burger patties and sausage taste better if you mince the meat yourself versus market products? I would guess so
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I like my own burger patties, but I don't dislike the store ground ones either. There is a difference. I don't find it huge enough to resort to only grinding my own meat. It is an option that I like to have.

My next purchase is going to be a meat slicer, so I can get even slices for my homemade jerky. That's probably more useful for me than the grinder. The grinder comes out only once a month or so. I could probably eat a pound of homemade jerky a week (which is like 3 pounds of fresh meat that needs to be sliced and dried).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've had my Osterizer package deal for 33 years and it still works great. Blender, salad slicer/grater, mixer w bowls, grinder w 4 different fineness discs. I used to do my own hamburger all the time, but lately I've been too lazy and my butcher is great, he'll get any cut I want and grind up anything I like. Fresh ground is much safer as any salmonella is only on the outside of the meat. Many grocery stores get their ground meats from a main supplier with animals from all over mixed together and continually reground and added to. That is why it is so hard to find the trail for an outbreak of infected raw hamburger. More 'bugs' mixed in and breeding :o