Love Your Health: Feb Challenge-Week 2 (2/8-2/14)

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Yesterday by the end of the work day the inflammation I had in my gut seemed to have faded after a day of flushing a lot of water. Not sure what caused it in the first place, either the dehydration from the day before, the asparagus, or both. Last night we made fathead pizza, and I did not eat half the pie like my mouth wanted me to (I had one slice from each pizza). But at the end of the night I felt bloated again. Cheese? Almond flour? Shallot? Cream in my goat cheese sauce? Xylitol in the BBQ sauce on the pie my husband made? (I doubt it's the last, since inflammation went down during the day and that sauce was in my lunch).

I will be finishing the pizza over the next two or three days as my lunch, though. It tasted incredible and my budget is stretched until I get paid Friday. I can ditch the inflammation this weekend if it's the pizza causing it. ^_^'

That pizza lasts forever and is so delicious! Good fof you for telling your tastebuds to hush.
    I hope you figure out what is setting the inflammation off.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    But if I eat one more EGG for breakfast I am going to puke. I have looked for other no egg breakfast with little luck. Any ideas.

I get that too, and just eat lunch food for breakfast![/quote]

@jennifermcclanahan50 - I recently ate leftover jalepeno poppers from our Sunday "snacks" and it was THE BEST! All we did was stuff them with cream cheese, a little shredded cheddar cheese and cooked bacon. Put it in my over for 20 minutes at 375. The jalepeno was tender and a little sweet and eating just 4 halves was enough to fill me up and keep me satisfied for the day until my late lunch. I feel your pain when it comes to wanting something besides eggs.
  • baconslave
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Had a few days this week of flubbing my food plans and goals. Think it might be emotional - and fear based due to attracting a little more opposite sex attention than I'm used to, and the dreaded, upcoming singles valentines day experience, and also taking a risk in a relationship where I let a little more of myself be known.
    Instant binge. So predictable and yet so far unpreventable. Currently trying to regroup. All of the above experiences are part of the oveall plan of having the life I want for myself - scary or not - and I am not hiding from the feelings anymore. Even if I'm messing up, I'm staying in the game til I get it figured out.
    New February Goal: Stop the binge. Survive Valentines Day. Send a Valentine. Live with it. It's only feelings.

Crossing my fingers for you. I know the emotional/binge connection is so hard to reign in.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    That pizza lasts forever and is so delicious! Good fof you for telling your tastebuds to hush.

My father stopped eating the fathead pizza. He complained, "One piece fills me up and I can't eat half the pie like I want to." Umm.. Okay. o_O
  • BRobertson23
    Options
    SW: 195
    Prior W: 189.8 (1/22)
    Prior W: 187.2 (1/29)
    CW: 186.6 (2/5)
    GW: 160-165

Didn't get in a weigh in this morning, but I faced my scale after a ROUGH weekend of carbs. Was not happy to see 188, but I suspect I am back on track again and should be able to see better outcomes moving forward.

I have gotten in 1 run and 1 weight training day this week, and am set to run this afternoon. I opted out of a couple of shoulder exercises in my weight training circuit to keep from aggravating my shoulder/neck muscle that was strained/pulled last week.

Hoping my next check in with weight will be on track!
  • baconslave
    edited February 2016
    Options

My father stopped eating the fathead pizza. He complained, "One piece fills me up and I can't eat half the pie like I want to." Umm.. Okay. o_O

LAWD! :confounded:

EDIT: I'm seriously almost inspired to go through the ordeal of making one. I wouldn't have to make breakfast or lunch for myself for days!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Had a few days this week of flubbing my food plans and goals. Think it might be emotional - and fear based due to attracting a little more opposite sex attention than I'm used to, and the dreaded, upcoming singles valentines day experience, and also taking a risk in a relationship where I let a little more of myself be known.
    Instant binge. So predictable and yet so far unpreventable. Currently trying to regroup. All of the above experiences are part of the oveall plan of having the life I want for myself - scary or not - and I am not hiding from the feelings anymore. Even if I'm messing up, I'm staying in the game til I get it figured out.
    New February Goal: Stop the binge. Survive Valentines Day. Send a Valentine. Live with it. It's only feelings.
    Great attitude. You have this! :)
    Yesterday by the end of the work day the inflammation I had in my gut seemed to have faded after a day of flushing a lot of water. Not sure what caused it in the first place, either the dehydration from the day before, the asparagus, or both. Last night we made fathead pizza, and I did not eat half the pie like my mouth wanted me to (I had one slice from each pizza). But at the end of the night I felt bloated again. Cheese? Almond flour? Shallot? Cream in my goat cheese sauce? Xylitol in the BBQ sauce on the pie my husband made? (I doubt it's the last, since inflammation went down during the day and that sauce was in my lunch).

I will be finishing the pizza over the next two or three days as my lunch, though. It tasted incredible and my budget is stretched until I get paid Friday. I can ditch the inflammation this weekend if it's the pizza causing it. ^_^'

Feel better. I have my fingers crossed that it was just a fluke occurrence and not the pizza.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    2.10.16 Checking In
    SW 187
    CW: 146.8 - down .2
    1st GW: 142.5 (on 3.1.2016) Probably won't make it. Maybe 145..
    Carbs- Great.
    Exercise - YES - 1 hour gym
    Calories - Great.

@nvmomketo I was playing with the 148-150 game between Dec. 1st and January 30th. I tend to plateau at that range for some reason. Seemed like forever ARG!! Good news, is I finally broke through last week. It works.
    I wish I had your height. I'm only 5'1" (in a loose size 12 tight 10). Ug. We're getting there.

I can't claim a plateau for mine. I was eating 2000+ kcal per day. I anything i was quite pleased that I wasn't gaining. :D

Scale bounced up half a pound today. 149.4lb. Not bad. I have a busy weekend with travel so I fully expect it to go up a bit (stress) and then drop next week again.

• glossbones
    Options
    I'm seriously almost inspired to go through the ordeal of making one. I wouldn't have to make breakfast or lunch for myself for days!

I've got it down to a system. And I like to use a different recipe (adapted by Brian of Ketovangelist):

In one glass bowl:
    1.5 cups almond flour
    2 eggs
    dried parsley, oregano, garlic powder

I use a potato masher to mix it to a homogeneous state before I try to mix in the cheese. (What else am I gonna use a potato masher for?)

In a second glass bowl:
    3 cups of Mozzarella
    4 oz cream cheese

Microwave in 1 minute bursts, stirring between, until it's all gooey and even.

Let the cheese mix cool while you lay a sheet of parchment on a baking tray, and wet your hands with cold water.

Pour the cheese over the almond mix (I do this because I usually make two or more pizzas at a time and this lets me reuse the cheese bowl without washing it). Mix it with your hands to combine. All the almond flour mix is going to clump in spots, so once it'll all hold together, I pick it up and massage it and stretch it and play-doh it around until it's more even. Then I drop the lump onto the parchment paper-covered tray and push it out into a proper crust shape.

I bake at 425ºF until it's golden brown on top, then I add my toppings and bake until the topping cheese melts. Allow plenty of time to cool before you cut.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    2/9 summary:

1. Minimum 64 ounces of water per day. Yes. I had 80 ounces yesterday.
    2. Under 50g carbs per day. Not exactly. 57g total carbs, 36g net carbs.
    3. 8,000 steps at least 5 days a week. I have no idea, because I left my FitBit at home by accident; but I doubt I got over 5,000 or so, as I had an assistant administer assessments yesterday while I sat at my desk and wrote reports.

SW: 236
    2/1: 176.4
    2/2: 174.6
    2/3: 172
    2/4: 170.6
    2/5: 172.2
    2/6: 172.2
    2/7: 174.2
    2/8: 176.2
    2/9: 176.4
    2/10: 176.4 again (this is very very not good!)
    3/1 Goal: 170
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SW: 153.4
    CW: 131.4 (went back down to my low again, yay)
    Original GW: 133
    Updated GW: whatever :p I've been struggling with hunger more again lately so I'm thinking about increasing calories at least for a few weeks. Not a break from the WOE (keeping macros the same), but from eating at as much of a deficit. I've been at 1350 (+exercise calories) since I started keto and mostly that's been fine but sometimes 1450-1500 sounds awfully nice ... ;)

Today's cals: 1465 net
    Carbs: 22gm net
    Exercise: brisk 15-min walk
    Sleep: Stayed up too late last night.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Here's my weekly update:

February goals:
    1) Eat <20g net carbs a day.
    2) Weigh weekly on Wednesday.
    3) Lose 5 pounds this month.
    4) No alcohol
    NEW 5) Get 10,000 steps a day- I am modifying this to get in 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day.

1) I got a little too liberal over the weekend and completely bombed today (2/10).
    2) Today’s weight was 217.4, one pound gain from last week. :(
    3) A measly .2 pounds lost so far
    4) On track!
    5) Only met three days last week.

So yeah, it looks like I've hit a real roadblock here. I was frustrated with gaining a pound when I thought I had been doing ok, but not spectacular. Today I had an "eff it" day and threw in the towel, which is ridiculously dumb. But I am here, checking in, and moving on from it. My goal in doing this is not to rationalize my choice, but to address it immediately before one "eff it" day turns into a week, then a month, then waiting for a holiday season to be over, etc. I've realized that change happens in the way I handle my missteps, and I'm not giving up. I need to be more honest and diligent in my tracking for this to work.

So, I will continue with my goals and modify my exercise goal. It is a little daunting to get in 10,000 steps, particularly with work being so busy this month, so I changed 10,000 steps to 30 minutes of physical activity a day to make it a little more attainable. Sometimes it adds up to 10,000, sometimes not, but the point of all this is to get used to exercise again. This could be walking, YouTube video, treadmill, a vigorous cleanout of my closet--doesn't matter as long as it's moderately exerting activity. Yes, there are some that may say that deep cleaning doesn't count as "exercise," but anything is above what I am doing now since I am sedentary during the day.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but I just wanted to make this all public so I can move on. It's great to have a place to check in!

I haven't had time to address everyone's check ins, but I am reading everyone's updates. It is great to see so many of you working toward your goals and staying accountable! It really keeps me going, so thank you!
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    11.6 loss yesterday seemed too good to be true ... and it was. 11.4 came back today ... lying scale. Still better than all of it coming back AND it's a new low for me. Gotta look at the bright side. KCKO

FEB 10

SW: 247 (12/12, started keto)
    SW: 219.8 (Feb 1)
    CW: 215.8
    GW for February: 215
    GW for 12/31: 180
    Calories under 1200: yes
    Carbs Under 30: yes
  • frikfourie
    frikfourie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, reading your posts above it feels like I have come home!

I have been LCHF for 10 months now, and have another 40 pounds to lose before reaching my goal. I have stalled for the last 4 months, and decided two days ago to start MFP again. When I analysed my food, I found that I went wayyy over my limit calorie wise what with eating too much fat. I immediately cut it down to an acceptable level, and I can feel my weight dropping again!

I was made for eating this way, and this is the easiest I have lost weight in all my 49 years. I also don't want to eat any other way ever again. I have never eaten any bread or sugar since I started, and have only had about 2 potatoes that I couldn't resist, so not too bad for 10 months. I am from South Africa, so we usually weigh in kilograms and kilojoules, but its no problem to convert.

I am also lucky that I have started with weight training when I was 10 years old, this is now 39 years ago! Time flies! This means I weigh more, but fortunately have a good foundation beneath the fat. If I understand your system correctly, my stats are as follow:

SW: 363 pounds 25 April 2015
    CW: 285
    GW for February: 275 - trust me, after a stall of 5 months this is huge!
    GW for 12/31: 242

Nice meeting you all, keep up the good work.
  • glossbones
    Options
    Took 2 pounds of 80% lean ground beef last night and fried it in some avocado oil, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and a touch of oregano. Added cholula chipotle sauce. Then dumped in the remainder of a head of cabbage I slivered up earlier in the week. It didn't quite taste as 'taco salad' as I'd hoped, but with a dollop of sour cream on top it transformed into an eagle clutching a snake over the prophesied lake in Teotihuacan. That's not an exaggeration. At all.

Anyway, this morning I had leftovers, with a fried egg and chopped bacon in place of the sour cream. Fantastic.

I am very full. And there's still fathead pizza left over. We're going to see Deadpool (skull-poop-L) tonight. Might just have buttered coffee for dinner, because I am likely to still be full.

Got my weight training in yesterday. Did 5 sets of 10 squats with 35 pounds. Then used the elliptical for ten minutes with two short bursts of "tiger chasing me" toward the end. Then I fell down. Seriously. Someone help me up? Work has called ten times but I can't reach the phone. :D

I was hoping exercise and a restful evening would help me get up on time this morning but I still overslept. At least it's getting brighter, earlier. Hopefully I can start waking when the 'sky is awake' soon. I still got up and did 45 seconds of planking plus a minute and a half of foundation training. Days off ain't days off.

Also did a writing exercise when I got to work to start my brain off right.

Last night mom went out for dinner with dad to 'give me the night off' (whatever that means, see how I still cooked?). She reported back that she had salmon with herbed butter and creamed spinach. Good job mom. I told her to take a packet of my Prenatal vitamins in place of the gummies she thinks she needs. I am thinking I'll probably just order more of those, plus acido/biff probiotics, some chelated magnesium powder, and K2 for her. Yesterday I used the Cron-o-meter site to map out a typical day's eating, and most of the nutrients are covered. The packet of vitamins will, at best, give her a little boost, and they'll cost a lot less than 15 different bottles of other suggested things.

Looked into the True Hope supplements for my husband. They're designed to get folks off anti-depressants and thankfully the (not-actually-all-that-bad) cost seems matched by quality in terms of bioavailability (over half of the nutrients are chelated forms!). I printed out the labels of the two products I nearly ordered for my husband to show to his doctor on the 24th. My husband has long wanted to get off meds, and I am hopeful that these supplements plus a fat-adapted system will help him do that. Considering his mood often fuels his non-compliant eating, I'm hoping this might trigger an upward spiral.

I see a tuna steak and lamb chops in the fridge. Looks like I'm not cooking for mom for a couple days. Fine with me! I wonder if she's trying to extract herself from my routine, or if she has just learned to crave the right things when she goes food shopping. :D
  • baconslave
    Options
    Here's my weekly update:

February goals:
    4) No alcohol
    NEW 5) Get 10,000 steps a day- I am modifying this to get in 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day.

1) I got a little too liberal over the weekend and completely bombed today (2/10).
    4) On track!

So yeah, it looks like I've hit a real roadblock here. I was frustrated with gaining a pound when I thought I had been doing ok, but not spectacular. Today I had an "eff it" day and threw in the towel, which is ridiculously dumb. But I am here, checking in, and moving on from it. My goal in doing this is not to rationalize my choice, but to address it immediately before one "eff it" day turns into a week, then a month, then waiting for a holiday season to be over, etc. I've realized that change happens in the way I handle my missteps, and I'm not giving up. I need to be more honest and diligent in my tracking for this to work.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but I just wanted to make this all public so I can move on. It's great to have a place to check in!

Key stuff right here.
    And don't sweat the ramble. Accountability and support is what this whole group is for.
    Fall down 7 times? Get up 8. Right away. Don't lay in the mud, sniffling while the wagon wheels run you over.
    You've done that. Good for you!
    Now this is starting to look like a cliche list, but:
    We didn't get overweight/unhealthy by feasting occasionally or "feasting on feast-days or holidays," we did it by turning every day into a feast day.
    You are doing ok. You're pulling yourself up and dusting yourself off. That's the right attitude.

• baconslave
    Options
    Here's my weekly update:

February goals:
    4) No alcohol

4) On track!

Key stuff right here.
    And don't sweat the ramble. Accountability and support is what this whole group is for.
    Fall down 7 times? Get up 8. Right away.
    You've done that. Good for you!

You are doing ok. You're pulling yourself up and dusting yourself off. That's the right attitude.

frikfourie wrote: »
    Hi everyone, reading your posts above it feels like I have come home!

I have been LCHF for 10 months now, and have another 40 pounds to lose before reaching my goal. I have stalled for the last 4 months, and decided two days ago to start MFP again. When I analysed my food, I found that I went wayyy over my limit calorie wise what with eating too much fat. I immediately cut it down to an acceptable level, and I can feel my weight dropping again!

I was made for eating this way, and this is the easiest I have lost weight in all my 49 years. I also don't want to eat any other way ever again. I have never eaten any bread or sugar since I started, and have only had about 2 potatoes that I couldn't resist, so not too bad for 10 months. I am from South Africa, so we usually weigh in kilograms and kilojoules, but its no problem to convert.

I am also lucky that I have started with weight training when I was 10 years old, this is now 39 years ago! Time flies! This means I weigh more, but fortunately have a good foundation beneath the fat. If I understand your system correctly, my stats are as follow:

SW: 363 pounds 25 April 2015
    CW: 285
    GW for February: 275 - trust me, after a stall of 5 months this is huge!
    GW for 12/31: 242

Nice meeting you all, keep up the good work.

Good to see you over here, too. :smile:
  • baconslave
    Options

Got my weight training in yesterday. Did 5 sets of 10 squats with 35 pounds. Then used the elliptical for ten minutes with two short bursts of "tiger chasing me" toward the end. Then I fell down. Seriously. Someone help me up? Work has called ten times but I can't reach the phone. :D

Looked into the True Hope supplements for my husband. They're designed to get folks off anti-depressants and thankfully the (not-actually-all-that-bad) cost seems matched by quality in terms of bioavailability (over half of the nutrients are chelated forms!). I printed out the labels of the two products I nearly ordered for my husband to show to his doctor on the 24th. My husband has long wanted to get off meds, and I am hopeful that these supplements plus a fat-adapted system will help him do that. Considering his mood often fuels his non-compliant eating, I'm hoping this might trigger an upward spiral.

RAWR on the lifting.
    I'm hoping that will work out well soon for your hubby.
  • BRobertson23
    Options
    SW: 195
    Prior W: 189.8 (1/22)
    Prior W: 187.2 (1/29)
    Prior W: 186.6 (2/5)
    CW: 187.6 (2/11)
    GW: 160-165

Seriously frustrated that I'm not back down to 186.6 or less, but as long as I'm not creeping back up, I will count that as success. I'll be honest, I don't think I'll reach goal weight by my birthday. This is disappointing, but I'll hold out hope that I'll get close. (My goal was 175 by 2/23)

I have been good with my runs and weight training, so that's been great. It's been a weird food week, as I didn't help my husband compile a grocery list this week and he ran off to the store and bought what he could remember we needed, which included very few options for me to eat. I'm getting as creative as I can with my options, so I suspect I will make a store run on Friday to help me survive the coming week.

Saturday is going to be interesting....I will probably have limited access to food throughout the day, which is good, but I worry that I might gorge when I finally get access. Planning to bring some snacks and will aim to stay hydrated through the day to help me cope with any hunger. The good news about Saturday is I will be standing and moving around, not sitting all day like I do for most competitions, so I'm grateful for the activity.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1. Minimize restaurant trips and food waste.
    2. In bed by 10:30 pm 5 days a week.
    3. Drop 3-5 lb this month.
    5. Re-double my new employment finding efforts. Send out at least one resume by Saturday and two over the weekend.

1. I've been restaurant and coffee-house free since Monday so far. Now the office vending machine for diet coke...
    2. I got three days so far.
    3. Weigh in on Friday
    4. I'm trying my best, ok...