What are you training for?

Options

Replies

• RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Returning. Had a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago and finally cleared to exercise again.

My next race will be Peachtree on July 4th!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 10 mile race on 3/20! And three 5Ks along the way :wink:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Training for New Jersey Marathon, where I hope to BQ, and even better, go under 3:30. Also running a HM on April 3, hoping to do between 1:37 and 1:39 there.
  • WineL8er
    WineL8er Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am training for my second marathon in Pittsburgh in May. New to MFP and looking for some running friends. Feel free to add me.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    The Wall 69 miles, Carlisle to Newcastle 24 hr cutoff, in June and a marathon in September, it would be a shame to not lose all that long distance conditioning. Might look for a HM towards the end of the year.
  • randycj7
    randycj7 Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am training for a few things this year first is Grosse Ille half Marathon in March than Toledo Full Marathon in April and than my training will change to focus on Triathlon as I am doing my first Ironman 70.3 in August. I am sure there will be a few 5 and 10k races along the way and hopefully a few shorter triathlons along the way.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    First 10k with about 130m up and down again over a relatively short interval. Sunday it is, though it's been storming so badly these past few that that I wonder whether the race gets cancelled due to rock falls and the danger of being blown off the cliff. I tried the route on Saturday and could in parts not even walk against the wind, and control my descend with the wind in my back.

Two weeks later there's a 10 mile race nearby that I signed up for. Not that I ever ran 10 miles, but lets see how far I get. At least it's flat.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    2 halfs in May . . . and a variety of 3-milers-to-10Ks in between :) Ideally, I'd like to break 2:28 for the half because, ultimately, it's part of full training . . . planning that for next January.

Not gonna lie.... There is a lot of badassness going on here!!

For realz!! I kind of feel out of my league. You people effin' ROCK!!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Was going to train for a charity 5K Feb13, because after 6 months of mostly Long Slow Distance runs for half marathon training, I lost some of my fast twitch abilities. But I found it hard to get back into it, and it's an untimed 5K, so I'm moving on. Will start training next week for the Flying Pig HM (May 1), to be followed by the Ventura HM (Sep 11), and Santa to the Sea HM (Dec 11). I'll take the month of May off!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @lcvrablik -Have you done the Flying Pig before? I have done both the half and the full. It's a great event. Great crowd support!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    lcvrablik wrote: »
    Was going to train for a charity 5K Feb13, because after 6 months of mostly Long Slow Distance runs for half marathon training, I lost some of my fast twitch abilities. But I found it hard to get back into it, and it's an untimed 5K, so I'm moving on. Will start training next week for the Flying Pig HM (May 1), to be followed by the Ventura HM (Sep 11), and Santa to the Sea HM (Dec 11). I'll take the month of May off!
    I took large chunks of time off my 5k by... training for a half marathon. And another big chunk, over a minute, when training for a marathon and 50k, even though I dropped any speed work besides a weekly run at MP during those training cycles.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Training for Myrtle Beach Marathon on March 5 where I will make my first attempt at BQ. Behind that is the Cooper River Bridge Run (10K, 4/2), RnR Raleigh Marathon (4/10) and the Tar Heel 10-Miler on 4/23.

The only other race I really have penciled in is the Venice (Italy) Marathon on 10/23. That one precedes a Mediterranean cruise we'd like to take that leaves that evening after the marathon. That would also be my 10th marathon in 3 years.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Hi friends,

What is everyone training for?!?

I'm training for the Indy Mini on May 7th!

My husband is thinking about running this race and I will do it with him if he does. It will be his first HM. Most of the races I have scoped out for the beginning of this year are for other people. Right now I am in training limbo and it's kind of driving me crazy. I need to come up with a racing plan. Trying to keep it low key because my main objective is to remain uninjured until the end of the year when I start training for Boston in 2017. Any thoughts on how to get through the next 10 months with minimal risk of injury, yet still maintaining a strong base and my sanity are much appreciated!

Run three days per week (e.g., Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday). Make one of the weekdays a somewhat speedy run, the other one a nominally easy/moderate paced one. Run for between 45 minutes to an hour.

And then on the weekends run a range of longer runs where about once per month you do at least on long run in the 18-20 mile range. That way you really building only slowly (with the speedier runs) and its more about maintenance of fitness as a threshold step to training in earnest.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    First marathon June 4! Pretty nervous, I've only ever done 5k's.. Could use any advice!
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A 9 mile running leg of a triathlon in April, my 3rd 1/2 in June, and my 1st full in September. I'm fighting IT band issues right now, so I'm a little bummed.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    rrcoffey wrote: »
    2 halfs in May . . . and a variety of 3-milers-to-10Ks in between :) Ideally, I'd like to break 2:28 for the half because, ultimately, it's part of full training . . . planning that for next January.

Not gonna lie.... There is a lot of badassness going on here!!

For realz!! I kind of feel out of my league. You people effin' ROCK!!

I did 2 halfs 6 days apart last June...my first was a 2:10 and my second (more technical trail run) was a 2:24...you can do it!!

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Target race for the year is my first miler. WTF100 That's in September, between now and then I'm trying to hit all bar one local ultras, so averaging 1 per month. They're mainly being used as training runs and for experience though. My year is looking like
    23/1 ADU 100K (12:34:01)
    5/3 Lark Hill Dusk till Dawn (100K, might drop to 50k depending on this weeks training)
    28/3 WAMC 40 Miler
    10/4 Bunbury 3 Waters 50K
    8/5 Murray Marathon (If there's a 50k option)
    5/6 Kep Ultra (Fat@ss event, due to red tape BS last year) 100K
    2/7 Feral Pig 50 Miler
    13/8 24hr Track Ultra
    24/9 WTF100 (Hoping sub 24hr)
    20/11 Truth or Consequences 50K
    18/12 6inch
    21/1/17 ADU (Hoping to do the 50K & 25K. Have to hold a 6min/km pace or better for both, with no rest between them)

Holy crap that's a little scary seeing it written out like that. I'm going to be dancing on the knife edge of over training/overuse/burnout for a while!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My first full marathon in May (Ogden Marathon in UT) and I just decided to return to Moab on March 12th for the Canyonlands Half, which was my first half 2 years ago (I haven't done one since). After that, not sure. Guess I should look at a race calendar for the summer and fall
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Half marathon on May 1st.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    28/2 - Marathon
    30/4 - 30 miler
    1/5 - 30 miler
    3/7 - 70 miler, (20hour cut off)

I probably need to find a half or something in March and June just as timed training runs for the 70 miler in July