Avocado

Options
mormas
mormas Posts: 188 Member
Never tried an avocado until about three weeks ago.

I would like to incorporate more into this diet, but the last couple I bought have been grey and mushy on the inside.

Any tips on picking a good avocado, should it be light or dark green, firm or soft ?

I was given the tip of removing the nipple, and if it is green beneath it is fine, but if it is brown, it's past it's best. Spend a while going through them at the supermarket last night, but most had the nipple removed already.

Also any tips for keeping hale an avocado fresh, I don't always want a full one.

Ta

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Best way to stop an avocado from browning is to squeeze a bit of lemon juice on it. I'll have one avocado going for three days sometimes. And if it does start browning, just take a spoon or knife and run it along the brown bit and it will come right off, it's not bad, just oxidised. It also helps to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or foil, to reduce the air flow, thereby reducing the oxidation.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I usually buy them firm, not hard. I cut them in half lengthways and eat the half without the stone.

I then keep the stone in and wrap in cling film & leave in fridge, but always eat within 2 days.

But I'm sure other people keep theirs many different ways.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Squish around top stem area. If rock hard, best to use as a cricket ball rather than eat it. If very soft, expect mush inside. Like Goldilocks you want it firm but a little soft, so it gives a little, that is just right for eating in next day or 2. Enjoy. Gaucomole is a good use for extra ripe avocado.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Love avocado ! I buy them firm, let them ripen at room temperature, then put them in the fridge when they soften a bit. If I leave them out too long, they will get too soft. I use the same method of wrapping up the second half with the pit in the fridge, works well.

I love to eat avocado with salsa. Take one half of an avocado, cut it into pieces, same way as you would with a mango, keeping the skin on, and using the skin as the "bowl". Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, spoon some salsa on top, then eat with a spoon. Easy satisfying snack, portable too, just pack a knife and spoon.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I buy mine rock hard ,so that it can ripen on my counter without bruising. I also put them in the fridge so they will not ripen too quick, then I can take one out and let it ripen.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    2a5gwe4b1f5v.jpeg

I buy mine firm and use them when they get a little soft! It can be a narrow window. lol
  • marshmallowbuff
    marshmallowbuff Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    2a5gwe4b1f5v.jpeg

I buy mine firm and use them when they get a little soft! It can be a narrow window. lol

So much this! Lol it's an art of finding and eating an avocado at the perfect time!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Love avocado ! I buy them firm, let them ripen at room temperature, then put them in the fridge when they soften a bit. If I leave them out too long, they will get too soft. I use the same method of wrapping up the second half with the pit in the fridge, works well.

I love to eat avocado with salsa. Take one half of an avocado, cut it into pieces, same way as you would with a mango, keeping the skin on, and using the skin as the "bowl". Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, spoon some salsa on top, then eat with a spoon. Easy satisfying snack, portable too, just pack a knife and spoon.

That's exactly how I eat them almost every time! So good!
  • nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can also freeze avocado slices. When they reach their best it can be a struggle to eat them all at once. So just peel and slice and add to a freezer bag with a little lemon juice and freeze.You can then use them for guacamole and smoothies. Jimmy Moore recommends deep fried avocado. Just slice and fry off in butter or coconut oil. Apparently delicious - but I haven't tried yet.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a while to figure out when to buy avocados and when to eat them. I look for ones at the store that are just starting to brown and that are not rock hard. If the stem part doesn't remove easily, I assume it's not ready to eat yet. I keep them in the refrigerator until I'm ready to eat them (in the fruit drawer).

Storing half an avocado? Why would you do that???? :wink: Seriously, I eat the entire thing at once. But if you must store it, I've heard that leaving the stone in keeps it from going bad. I've also heard the lemon trick.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love avocados but they don't like me ......I get a bad tummy ache :'( ....but I can eat wholly guacamole just fine ...I don't get it
  • skippieone
    skippieone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Best tip I ever got for storing a partial avocado...put in a bowl and cover with chopped/sliced red onion. It seems to work as we've been able to store for multiple days without it turning brown. However, it doesn't work with other onions (I tried) AND you have to like the taste of onion because it does carry over into the unused avocado...so don't try to put it in a strawberry smoothie afterwards. :)
    As many others have said, I go for the firm ones in the store and let them shelf ripen.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I typically buy half and half. That way I have some that are ready to eat right away and some for later. I store all of my avocado's in the fridge. If I have eaten all the softer ones, I will then take one or two out of the fridge and put it in the fruit bowl with my apples. The avocado's will rippen enough to eat over night. I do not eat them once they get real soft. I will pass those ones on to my boyfriend. Avocados will last a long time in the fridge if you are buying them firm.

I live in New Mexico, so avocado is sold in mass amounts. I did not eat them before moving here. But I definitely do love them now. Just with a little salt and pepper.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you need to ripen an avocado faster, try putting it in a brown paper bag. The bag traps in the gases and helps it ripen faster.

I do that when I am impatient (which is all the time!).
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I only buy 2 or 3 at a time because I find once they ripen, they ALL ripen at once. You can tell because a ripe one is almost black in color, and squish a bit when you push down. If it's not ready it will be hard and bright green.

Keep them away from bananas because bananas give off some gas or something that ripen everything in its path, lol. If you put one in a paper bag with a banana overnight it will be ripe by the next morning.

I second the lemon juice advice, sprinkle a little on once you cut it up and it will keep for longer. Also works with apples too to stop them from browning.

I used to bring one to work everyday, slice it in half, remove the pit and scoop & eat with a spoon and lemon juice. Lol.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    If you need to ripen an avocado faster, try putting it in a brown paper bag. The bag traps in the gases and helps it ripen faster.

I do that when I am impatient (which is all the time!).

Or let them snuggle with the bananas. :wink:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    3 words.
    Chocolate. Avocado. Pudding.
    Very delicious and very dangerous stuff.
  • mormas
    Options
    Wow, loads of advice there, thanks everyone.

Can't believe it's taken me almost 40 years to try avocado. Didn't realise what I'd been missing.
    I'm enjoying eating avocado mashed, with a little salsa, and would welcome any other suggestion on what to do with it, chocolate avocado pud is something I will have to look into.
  • mormas
    Options
    P.S. I got a perfect one today, came away from the skin easy, was a bright green on the inside near the skin, paler green near the stone, soft enough to mash with a spoon, but not too squishy.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I like them soft, I mush them up and put it on top of everything I would put cheese on. Since I'm trying to cut out dairy, creamy avocado works very well. Also, frying it in very hot butter can make yummy home fries - crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.