What do you do for exercise?

Options

Replies

• ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I love to get out in the fresh air and sunlight and enjoy nature. This time of year, I'm going snowshoeing for 30-90min+ per day, then the rest of my "exercise" consists of just my daily farm chores, and to a lesser extent my household chores.

Love this! The farm and household chores are a big part of my exercise routing as well
  • ShootingStar72
    Options
    I totally stink at consistent exercise! I'm just like you described, do a little of this and that but don't continue too long. I'm a couple days overdue right now on keeping up with my latest attempt at using the weight machines at my gym.
    And I was doing the planking with @auntstephie321 and the others on most of my off days... But... Uh... Yeah... Kinda quit everything for a few too many days now.

Haha! I think I was planking for 2 days... I stink at exercise too, but there definately is hope.. I am a work in progress :)
  • ShootingStar72
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Yeah, right. Oh, and there's always the thrill of lifting till failure. Which basically means going past that uncomfortable level of fatigue and pushing until you're in total panic. Who wouldn't be motivated to do that? :)

I was totally motivated to do that, back in my 20 somethings (a long time ago). I worked out at a military gym back then and everyone there was motivated. Then I went too far lifting heavy and ended up with costochondritis... ended my somewhat heavy lifting phase. Now I have little pink and purple hand weights up to 15 lbs! Surprisingly, I can still pick-up my 6yo son though, and he is 48lbs. So I still do some heavy lifting :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I totally stink at consistent exercise! I'm just like you described, do a little of this and that but don't continue too long. I'm a couple days overdue right now on keeping up with my latest attempt at using the weight machines at my gym.
    And I was doing the planking with @auntstephie321 and the others on most of my off days... But... Uh... Yeah... Kinda quit everything for a few too many days now.

Haha! I think I was planking for 2 days... I stink at exercise too, but there definately is hope.. I am a work in progress :)

Yep I'm the same way. I walk most darts on my lunch, not on weekends though. That's why the planks work for me, it's like doing something but doesn't take up all my time and I can do it whenever I feel like it.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Then I went too far lifting heavy and ended up with costochondritis...

Had to google it. Must have been scary to get chest pains while working out!

As an old guy, avoiding injury is a high priority for me. But not enough to keep me from skateboarding or juggling on a balance board. I just hope that my obituary mentions that I was having a good time. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @ShootingStar72! Ouch!!

@wabmester, you're on a roll this evening! Lol!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Walking the dog (try to beat prior speed and add more distance). Cycling with dog (her top speed is 30kmph and she loves to run). Eliptical trainer (dog supervises). Weights and Nike fit app for some variety to routine, Yoga for stretch n relax. Latter 2 are sans dog as she thinks it just means cuddles and her idea of where she can fit is very funny at first but then frustrating when I can't do the down of the pushup for a doggie nose n shoulder blocking the way!!

Dogs are great exercise partners, aren't they?? My old newf is a bit of a couch potato these days (he's 11) but I have a 14 month old lab/shepherd mutt that LIVES to run. She's my motivation to go on the days I don't quite feel like it!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I love to get out in the fresh air and sunlight and enjoy nature. This time of year, I'm going snowshoeing for 30-90min+ per day, then the rest of my "exercise" consists of just my daily farm chores, and to a lesser extent my household chores.

Love this! The farm and household chores are a big part of my exercise routing as well

Well it definitely keeps you moving. I just got a fitbit last Friday, and I consistently go over 15,000 steps per day, even though I have a desk job during the week. I get in about 3000 steps before my coffee in the morning!
  • teruma
    teruma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Blogilates is fun and fairly easy, no equipment necessary.
    You get a workout calendar for each month, so you can just follow the schedule and don't have to think about which ones to do. And it's free!

http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2016/01/31/february-workout-calendar-sign-up-for-my-newsletter-get-the-pw/
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a free bodyweight training program from startbodyweight.com that I heard about on the plank challenge thread here. I'm also doing tabata rowing daily and C25K 3x a week. I walk on my days off from strength and running, and weekends are less routine and more about what type of movement I feel like doing. Sometimes, it's just dancing around the house to loud music while I clean.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

Yeah, right. Oh, and there's always the thrill of lifting till failure. Which basically means going past that uncomfortable level of fatigue and pushing until you're in total panic. Who wouldn't be motivated to do that? :)

I was totally motivated to do that, back in my 20 somethings (a long time ago). I worked out at a military gym back then and everyone there was motivated. Then I went too far lifting heavy and ended up with costochondritis... ended my somewhat heavy lifting phase. Now I have little pink and purple hand weights up to 15 lbs! Surprisingly, I can still pick-up my 6yo son though, and he is 48lbs. So I still do some heavy lifting :)

Ha, I hear you. :) Whenever I try to do real strength training, I feel SO WEAK. Yet my twin boys, who just turned 7, are about 46 and 50 lbs now and I can still pick each of them up so I must have some strength hiding inside somewhere. ;)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    netflix and chill ;)
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Monday yoga 1,5 hr
    Tuesday body weight resistance
    Wednesday tabatas bike / burpees every other week
    Thursday rest
    Friday body wight resistance
    Saturday 500 one armed kettlebell swings then a one mile sprint
    Sunday long hike
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    netflix and chill ;)

Ditto that!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I look forward to a nice walk in the park on my way home from work.

>:) or o:)
  • Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You need to find what 'you' like. You won't stick with it otherwise. I walk or ride my bike.
  • ShootingStar72
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses and ideas! Plan to go hiking and sledding with the family tomorrow, and to get my bike out of the shed and start riding again next week :)
  • thubten1
    thubten1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    After the benefits of using the MFP daily calorie and carb counts I have found that for this program to work out for me I need to up my exercise to 500 calories per day. Even with close to zero carbs and limited to 1500 calories a day which is really low for me,I need the exercise to lose anything.This was not true even 3 years ago,but it is now
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Then I went too far lifting heavy and ended up with costochondritis...

Had to google it. Must have been scary to get chest pains while working out!

As an old guy, avoiding injury is a high priority for me. But not enough to keep me from skateboarding or juggling on a balance board. I just hope that my obituary mentions that I was having a good time. :)

Oh my goodness, someone else who has had costochondritis! I thought I was having a heart attack when I had it. I still have sore chest muscles when I open a jar of pickles. '

I like to do FitnessBlender on YouTube, but some of their weight lifting portions are hard on the upper body for me, even if I'm doing it with light weights because they work the muscles so hard. That is what I like to do though, when I'm being good about exercise as well as walking and jogging. I am only walking occassionally these days.
  • marshmallowbuff
    marshmallowbuff Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym and lift heavy but then I got lazy and working out for a really long time made me super hungry. :D Now I workout mostly from home using Leslie Sansone DVDs since her stuff is pretty simple and low impact.

I usually do about 30-45 minutes of cardio 4 days a week. I think I'm gonna start strong lifts 5x5 soon though since we have a half rack at home.