Protein/Fat

Options
Hi Guys -

I'd love if you could take a look at my protein / fat intake over the last 30 days, and see how it looks. Is it normal that my grams of protein and fat are pretty similar?

nj8h7sv7rb6f.png

k4l39ymxrifb.png

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Looks fine to me (assuming you're trying for 1200 a day), except the 10th looks really low. What is that? 600 calories?
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm actually eating 1600 - 1800. Am I off in that case?

We were all sick on the 10th. I was throwing up quite a bit and subsisted mostly on broth :)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    That makes sense for the 10th.

It would depend on your carbs, but it looks like you're hitting around 100g of protein and 100 grams of fat (despite the goal), which would be 1300 calories. The extra 450 calories in fat are being left on the table.

That's not a problem, if it is happening naturally because you are honestly no hungry. But, if you're avoiding fat or trying to cut the calories, that will be a problem. And, as your weight goes down and your fat/calories goes up, you shouldn't fight it. That's especially true since you're under your real goal now.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @FIT_Goat This might help: l80w9hx5md6b.png

As you can see, I have been sitting near that 1300 / 1400 calorie mark for quite some time. I realized this was likely an unhealthy number for me during the past couple of weeks, and bumped up to 1800(ish). I strive for 1800, but sometimes just can't eat that much!

For the record, I determined that 1300/1400 was unhealthy due to frequent strenuous exercise and not eating back those calories, which indicates that I was netting low. At this point, I'm not avoiding calories - although, there is a HUGE part of me that really wants to. It's challenging to say "I'm at 1840" and be okay with that, but I'm improving :)

Given that - how do the last couple weeks look? I'm happy to make any changes I need to to ensure that I'm doing this right, and giving myself the best chance of success.

Edit to add: Carbs are typically around 20g, plus or minus 5g.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think it looks good, I wonder if upping the fat and lowering the protein a little might get the scale moving for you again.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    For maintaining weight, your daily protein should be 1 Gram per Lb weight. .5 Gram per Lb weight, if you are trying to lose weight. Also depends how active you are.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    It looks good the last few weeks. Don't touch the protein. Protein needs to be higher when losing than when maintaining. Right around 100g is probably fine.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I think it looks good, I wonder if upping the fat and lowering the protein a little might get the scale moving for you again.

This, if your eating 1300/1400 and not working out. If your working out you might need more protein?? I think macros for me are best at 75%fat/ 20%pro/ 5% carbs To High protein slows me way down
  • auntstephie321
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I tend to do better with higher protein but I've heard others mention that too much slows down their progress.

Eta: if you're working out I think you'd do better with more than 1300/1400 kcal in which case upping the fat would be helpful in getting there.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Can you recommend some ways to up fat without adding extra protein? I'm getting a lot of my fats from dairy, which definitely has some protein.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    I tend to do better with higher protein but I've heard others mention that too much slows down their progress.

Eta: if you're working out I think you'd do better with more than 1300/1400 kcal in which case upping the fat would be helpful in getting there.

I'm up to 1800 now for the past 2 weeks. :)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Pretty active I think! 8-10hrs a week of strenuous exercise.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    To increase fat without adding protein: use hwc in coffee, scrambled eggs, or make an Alfredo type sauce to put over meat, add butter to everything, or coconut oil too. This is where fat bombs can come in handy, if you like them. Remember though that fat grams aren't a goal to strive for each day. You add fat to increase satiety from the foods you eat, but if you aren't hungry you don't have to meet that number.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think butter and coconut oil are very important sources of fats that are under used when just beginning. Getting fat from dairy seems to so often be the go to. But dairy can actually be a problem if consumer in too large amounts. Not always, but I think more people are sensitive to it than even realize.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    To increase fat without adding protein: use hwc in coffee, scrambled eggs, or make an Alfredo type sauce to put over meat, add butter to everything, or coconut oil too. This is where fat bombs can come in handy, if you like them. Remember though that fat grams aren't a goal to strive for each day. You add fat to increase satiety from the foods you eat, but if you aren't hungry you don't have to meet that number.

I feel like I'm not always staying full long after a meal. I do awesome with breakfast, which is usually 30 to 50 grams of fat, then nay not be hungry for quite awhile. However, my dinner never seems to last more than 2 hours. Sounds like I may need to kick it up a notch.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    I think butter and coconut oil are very important sources of fats that are under used when just beginning. Getting fat from dairy seems to so often be the go to. But dairy can actually be a problem if consumer in too large amounts. Not always, but I think more people are sensitive to it than even realize.

Because cheese is awesome, am I right? :) I do use HWC in my coffee, but I'm not using much butter or oil at this point. I'll give it a try!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I agree with sunny, more butter or coconut oil will get you higher on the fat and will likely help you feel full longer.

Yes cheese is awesome!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Panda_Poptarts?date=2016-02-23 <- I'm going to assume "Meal 4" is dinner.

The turkey cutlets and stuff like it are what kill you with protein vs fat. Turkey and chicken breast are great for getting more protein in, but not so much if you're trying to keep protein down or need to get fat up. The chicken thighs are a good start, or a good option if the bird is your only meat choice, but eat the skins, too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Panda_Poptarts?date=2016-02-22 <- case in point. Chicken thigh = :smile:. Skinless = :cry:.

Also, ditch the yogurt dressing for regular blue cheese dressing if you're choosing the yogurt one because of calories or fat content (if you like the flavor better, that's a different matter).

Trading those things should get you at least a good step toward more fat without too much more protein.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Avocado :smile: That's my fat bomb.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The turkey cutlets and stuff like it are what kill you with protein vs fat.

Do you eat poultry? Occasionally I love the stuff. We buy it because it's cheap :) I got these packages of turkey cutlets for $2 for 6 cutlets - total steal! I was going to do a cream sauce, and ran out of time before my lunch break :/ I'll start getting bone-in skin-on chicken instead!

Most of the blue cheese dressings I've found are high in carb. Do you have a recommendation for a brand? I definitely prefer the full fat blue cheese over the yogurt type, primarily due to the consistency of the yogurt type.

Thanks so much for the tips. This is a huge change, but so totally worth it. I'm about a month in now and loving it. I lost 5 inches this month!!!