Starting Keto

Options
So my husband and I are wanting to get started in the Keto Diet. Where is the best place to get recipes, helpful tips, etc? He is wanting to lose weight because he is overweight, I am at a healthy weight but would like to lose a few pounds and be able to maintain my weight. We are already members of a gym so we will be working out as well. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Gym will need to wait until 6 weeks in. The actual mitochondria in your muscles must be changed, and you'll get tired more and have way more exhaustion and decreased performance the first 4-12 weeks, depending. There is a ton of info on reddit/keto, but I haven't found great organization there.

This is another group many of us are in, also: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group and that group has a fabulous launchpad sticky post.

Basically, if there is anything you want to eat, google the word "keto" before it, and you'll get all kinds of recipes. Sites like ibreatheimhungry.com and cavemanketo.com and things like that (a huge list of recommended sites in that sticky post) are good info.

I don't remember what all I read before starting. Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore is said to be a good book.

Main thing is that dropping your carbs will make you dump water, sodium, magnesium, and for some, potassium, so supplements are critical for avoiding the dreaded "low carb flu."

5000 mg of sodium MINIMUM a day is recommended at first, adjusting as you continue. Broth and/or pickle juice are life savers. If you get fuzzy, tired, or have a headache, get so sodium in you immediately. You'll be shocked.

Magnesium needs to be in one of that -ate forms. Oxide is what they give you before a colonoscopy. Not a fun result.

Don't be afraid of fats. Or at first, convenience foods if necessary. My diary from January through April of last year has a lot of my "go-to's" in it.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Okay, on the gym, you don't have to WAIT, just don't push it. Some walking and such are fine, but any weights or intensity will need to be paused, etc., for a while.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Starting slow (yoga, walking) will keep you going through the initial stages of keto. You don't need the aggravation of pushing it too hard, too fast. There's always time later to kick it in gear. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot this link 0 for calculating your numbers: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

P.S. As I was raving on about the need for sodium, I was feeling all tired and crap myself (I had some time off my plan recently and so I'm readapting), and ha! Had a lightbulb moment, went and had some pickle juice, and right as rain. Just goes to saying that even after a year, you'll still need that tool in your back pocket. (And unless you have a genetic heart problem there are generally no true restrictions on sodium - most information out there is incorrect as to limits/blood pressure/retaining water, etc. I retain water when I don't have ENOUGH sodium....not the other way around....)
  • CoffeeSalty
    CoffeeSalty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Keto Clarity is an awesome book! Along with the other sites mentioned, check out Linda's Low Carb - you'll never run out of stuff to try.
  • triciag33090
    triciag33090 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the help. I will definitely look into all of these items.
  • supatavi
    supatavi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with CoffeeSalty Keto Clarity is a great resource if you are just starting Keto, I also recommend The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance once you begin to become fat-adapted.
  • ncprice1
    ncprice1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Consider visiting FitterU on YouTube. The nuts & bolts of LCHF/Keto are explained and practical details are discussed. Dr. Stephen Phinney provides some detailed of a well-formulated ketogenic diet. MFP will help you track macros until it all becomes instinctive. Recipes and tips: Cooking Keto with Kristie (YouTube) has been a life-saver for me in terms of recipes, shopping, other online resources and practical tips.

Speaking of tips: develop the habit of drinking a cup or two of bouillon/broth daily if you start having dizzy spells.

Good luck!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    New to starting Keto also. Thanks for the tips. Have a preplanned get together with friends at local Mexican restaurant. Besides fajitas what are other choices can I choose from that will keep me on track & in Keto? Looking for friends & support. Feel free to add me just add message Keto so I know from where the requests are coming.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    2gabbee wrote: »
    New to starting Keto also. Thanks for the tips. Have a preplanned get together with friends at local Mexican restaurant. Besides fajitas what are other choices can I choose from that will keep me on track & in Keto? Looking for friends & support. Feel free to add me just add message Keto so I know from where the requests are coming.

Taco salad without beans, rice, and shell is a good choice, too.

Pretty much anything with meat, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and generally even salsa is good. Someone said a grilled chicken thing smothered in queso on a bed of peppers and onions (stay light on those, there are some carbs, but reasonable amount is okay) is a thing where she lives.

Or buy tacos and dump them out of their shells... Really, anything without beans, rice, sweet sauces, tortillas (corn or flour) is okay.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    2gabbee wrote: »

Our local restaurants have something called pollo maya which is grilled chicken with broccoli, yellow squash, and zucchini topped with cheese. I get that and ask for no rice or beans. I usually add guac. Also the chori pollo minus rice, beans, and pineapple slice is a good pick.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Tip - don't use broth, as many have suggested. It is LOADED with MSG. Instead, take Himalayan sea salt and make your own capsules. Use that to raise your sodium safely. :)
  • stephanniehall
    stephanniehall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, here are some really great things to read that helped me a lot when I started (10 months ago, down 40 pounds): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Understanding how ketosis worked was pretty fundamental to being able to do keto, for me. Feel free to add me!
  • janetdrel
    janetdrel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have found some great recipes at skinnytaste.com, low carb recipes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Hi, here are some really great things to read that helped me a lot when I started (10 months ago, down 40 pounds): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Understanding how ketosis worked was pretty fundamental to being able to do keto, for me. Feel free to add me!

The first link seems to be broken or something... The second one is great. Thanks for sharing, @stephanniehall ...
  • zotovas
    zotovas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    These are great resources! I would also recommend to check out Ketogenic Diet Meal Plan. It helped me to get started with keto and get into ketosis fast