Am I counting net carbs right?!

Options
kyrs89
kyrs89 Posts: 3 Member
So I just want to make sure I'm counting this correctly. So I have a daily goal of 20 net carbs so based on my MFP logging if consumed 31g of carbs of which 11g are fiber so I have met my net carb goal, right??

Replies

• prepeared
    prepeared Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Correct! Carbs - Fiber = Net Carbs

I've read that if you stay under 30 grams net carbs a day for two weeks, you're almost guaranteed to be in ketosis. If you're starting out with keto and begin to get keto flu symptoms or funky breath, count it as a success that you're doing keto right!
  • kyrs89
    kyrs89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok cool. Thanks for the response!
  • tinaisstillwell
    tinaisstillwell Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The main thing I notice when in ketosis is a strange taste in my mouth. And, I'm not hungry, which is extremely rare and exciting!
  • tinaisstillwell
    tinaisstillwell Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    kyrs89 wrote: »
    So I just want to make sure I'm counting this correctly. So I have a daily goal of 20 net carbs so based on my MFP logging if consumed 31g of carbs of which 11g are fiber so I have met my net carb goal, right??

Many food items listed have the net carbs listed already. I try to use those.
  • kookie_jane
    kookie_jane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im new to doing Keto and want to ask for help on where I can see a list of carbs with net carbs information? This very new to me and would like to know what can be "good" vs "bad" carbs for me. Thanks!
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm eating(measured amounts of 10-15gms Max net carbs and 1,050 Max calories a day. I'm a petite 4'9" 145cms tall and weigh 138 pounds). I gain weight FAST if I eat more. After 2 weeks I'm still barely getting a keto reading and I've gained 7 pounds! Help please, where am I going wrong? I eat no starch, sugar, alcohol or any other sinful treats. Just good healthy eggs, cheese, small amounts of butter and cream, grilled meat, fish, lots of spinach and mushrooms, plain yogurt and a small handful of berries and unsalted nuts.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im new to doing Keto and want to ask for help on where I can see a list of carbs with net carbs information? This very new to me and would like to know what can be "good" vs "bad" carbs for me. Thanks!

Hi,

Net carbs mean the total amount of carbs that are going to stay with you and be absorbed by the body. Fiber doesn't stay with you, that comes out with your stool (I know, probably TMI) so what's left is net. Sugar alcohols also do not count.

Example: If an avocado has 13g of total carbs and 10g of fiber, you subtract 10 (the fiber) from 13 to get a total net carbs of 3.
  • TinaZg2002
    TinaZg2002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Clare0116 wrote: »
    I'm eating(measured amounts of 10-15gms Max net carbs and 1,050 Max calories a day. I'm a petite 4'9" 145cms tall and weigh 138 pounds). I gain weight FAST if I eat more. After 2 weeks I'm still barely getting a keto reading and I've gained 7 pounds! Help please, where am I going wrong? I eat no starch, sugar, alcohol or any other sinful treats. Just good healthy eggs, cheese, small amounts of butter and cream, grilled meat, fish, lots of spinach and mushrooms, plain yogurt and a small handful of berries and unsalted nuts.

You should watch for the nuts and diary intake, especially when trying to lose weight. How many grams of protein do you have per sitting? Excess protein is converted to glucose, so you should try to stay under 20-25g per meal