Fiber?

Options
aamberrr
aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have some issues getting enough fiber? I know I should be getting at least 30 g of fiber per day. I try to follow basically an isocaloric style diet (roughly 33%carbs/33%fat/33%protein), and I also try to get in at least 135g of protein per day (which I never have a problem hitting).

My question is, does anybody else have trouble getting in enough fiber while trying to hit a protein goal for the day as well? I've looked into metamucil/other fiber supplements, but was shocked when I saw one serving only has about 2-3g of fiber. It didn't seem worth the $15 to me. I know what foods have a lot of fiber, but I also don't want to eat tons of carbs.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Beans are high in fiber! 1 cup of black beans is nearly 20 g of fiber.
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat Fiber One cereal every morning (11g fiber). I also get Nature's Own Double Fiber bread, each slice has 5g. Apples and beans are great sources too. Good luck!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Lentils - good for both protein and fibre
  • joannmdunn
    Options
    I eat all bran cereal most everyday yummy and high in fiber I mix it with sliced strawberries and raspberries.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use beans and a hemp protein powder (it's just ground help seed) to hit fiber macros.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I take fiber capsules. You can also add sugarfree metamucil or other fiber powder to any drink.I add it to my Crystal light. And no its not a laxative. Anyway, I can increase fiber w/o adding calories or carbs. You can even track it Psyllium (fiber) caps are in MFP data base.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Beans, lentils, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, Rudi's double fiber bread, Fiber One cereals...
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    if you eat a lot of protein you need a lot of fiber, I have fiber gummies, or I eat a lot of snack bars with fiber
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Beans!
    Bean beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel so let's have beans for every meal!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I add black beans to salad, and also eat high fiber oatmeal, Fiber One bars, and fruit.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I eat normally eat a lot of veggies, chia, quinoa, and brown rice. Or If you like to use a protein powder you could use one like Renew Life FitSmart which has 10 g of fiber per serving :) .
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone have some issues getting enough fiber? I know I should be getting at least 30 g of fiber per day. I try to follow basically an isocaloric style diet (roughly 33%carbs/33%fat/33%protein), and I also try to get in at least 135g of protein per day (which I never have a problem hitting).

My question is, does anybody else have trouble getting in enough fiber while trying to hit a protein goal for the day as well? I've looked into metamucil/other fiber supplements, but was shocked when I saw one serving only has about 2-3g of fiber. It didn't seem worth the $15 to me. I know what foods have a lot of fiber, but I also don't want to eat tons of carbs.

Any suggestions?

I used to have a hard time getting there, but lately I almost think I'm getting too much. Instead of eating "high fiber" processed foods to supplement (like I used to), I've worked at getting more fruits and veggies in my diet. This really really helps. Some veggies are higher in carbs, but not all... And some carbs are necessary (your 33%/33%/33% shows you know this).
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's hard, especially in normal food rather than supplements. Dates and some other fruits (berries), beans, the dark chocolate I like has some :smile: and i like adding flax seeds (ground or whole) to things.
    I'm aiming at more than MFP recommends for me, but less than the 30 you're trying for -- good luck!