Tracking

Options

Replies

• 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well I'm hoping that 2 cardio kickboxing classes a week is ok, my other cardio is very moderate, since I walk maybe 3.5mph. As much as I really want to lose the 10lbs I don't want to give up my cardio conditioning that I've worked hard on.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Cardio conditioning level is much like lifting strength level.

You can at least maintain that level while still cutting back on frequency and duration - but you must maintain intensity.

So for lifting it has been found by many that you can drop 2/3's of what got you to your level, and keep the 1/3 of frequency and duration and all the intensity of weight.

So if 3 x weekly at 30 total reps got you there - then 1 x weekly at 30 reps or 3 x weekly at 10 reps - with same weight - will maintain the gains.

I've never seen similar research on cardio - but endurance as a measure is different, you do lose that if you cut back on time. But I don't think that's what you are talking about.
    But for intensity, or pace/speed/ect - can cut back on duration and frequency and keep intensity of pace.

This could be as simple as doing Run / Walk intervals in place of straight running for say 60 min you'd normally do. Say 2:1 ratio, or even 1:1 - with running pace the same.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Thanks! I think my current course will mimic what you've said. Like I said, the down side of not going to a regular gym is that lack of flexibility.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Well I weighed in on Sunday and am down 2.2lbs (that is over two weeks since I didn't record the week before as I had gone up a pound). Fingers crossed if I can continue I will get to my goal weight before the end of this cut.
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's soooo awesome!!
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Well down another .4lbs, better than nothing.

I do find it interesting that when I was upping my calories to find my TDEE I topped out at 2200 which was a lot less then the online calculators had me estimated at considering how much I work out, walk and taking care of the kids.

Now I have a fitbit and have been using it for the last week (Charge HR) and my calorie burn per day has been 2100-2400. With the walking and exercise. Makes me wonder if the online estimation is not only inaccurate (which isn't big news) but maybe doesn't account for hormonal changes as you age as I have been pre-menopausal for almost 4 years now, but putting my age of 44 in probably wouldn't indicate that.
  • heybales
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The 1919 study the formula was based on didn't get in to that at all - merely the stats we all enter, and the analysis of a daily burn of a decent selection of varied folks along with gas analysis of resting/sleeping state.
    Mifflin used the same data and tweaked it to deal with higher weight to better fit the trend line.
    Katch used the same data and other to incorporate BF% in the mix for new formula.

I've never even seen a pre-amble on that study if they did the same thing back then that almost every current diet study does - which is exclude any participants that had attempted or lost weight in the last 6-12 months - which if the person did it wrong could bady effect their BMR and daily burn, throwing off the data.

But since there are studies of that effect - it would not be hard to include a check box, and take what has been found to be average effect on daily burn.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the losses!!
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Thanks! It's slow but as long as its steady that's ok.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Gah. No weight loss last week and up 3lbs now! I feel bloated and I've been over in sugar but man that sucks!
  • heybales
    Options
    Can't be anything but water weight, right. Do the math - could you possibly have gained anything besides water.

But if that is actual stress coming through - remember you could gain more water if not careful.

You can do it.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    Bah, still 148.8lbs.

Feel like I'll never get to 140lbs. I know I need to scale back sugar and is so flippin hard. One thing I will be doibg in a few weeks is borrowing my mom's scales while she's away so I can weigh in first thing in the morning, preferably mid week since weekends are my Achilles hell, too much salt, sugar and beer.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Do you really think sugar can cause lack of weight loss?

And if you're following a macros plan is it possible to eat too much sugar if your macros are on point?

I'm curious about this.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Curious too.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    I'm not sure if just sugar will prevent the weight loss when I'm in calorie goal, but I'm usually over on the sugar macros. Not very good at hitting the macros unfortunately.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    That's one goal I need to get better in and tighten up in is the macros
  • heybales
    Options
    Missing macros by 10-20 %, or 20-30 grams?

Former could be meaningful if it means the sugar is taking away available calories from better carbs like vegetables, or taking away from protein.

Latter is nothing, there's that much inaccuracy in labeling both directions.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    So usually my sugars are 16-26 grams over if they're over. But last week I was way over for over a week so that might have affected the weight loss.
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, if carbs was higher (carbs turn into sugar anyway unless fiber in general) - you may have masked the weight loss by refilling glucose stores more than normal with attached water, if deficit was still there.

If calorie deficit, then eating a few more carbs or straight sugar isn't going to stop fact you were at calorie deficit.
    Unless what you were eating has greater potential for inaccuracy of calories compared to normal diet.
  • 3furballs
    Options
    I don't think there are inaccuracies, but I suspect overall the sugar was too high as I was giving in to my mint addiction.

On another note, haven't weighed in but tonight I did cleans in kettlebell class with the purple bells, only 30 second, but they're 20kg! We did 60 second light, 45 med and 30 heavy. Most of the time I did 8, 12 and 16, but for cleans I managed to do 12, 16 and 20! Pretty happy about that.