Hubby, Keto and the battle of the Scale

Options
13»

Replies

• klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I hope so!! He was really excited this morning to tell me. He still drinks way too much soda but he admits he has to cut back but I other than that, I think he's starting to do better. I think too that maybe it just took his body longer to get into the swing of things.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    That's great news, keep us updated! I hope he gets into a Dr soon so he can get a baseline of his results. Otherwise it will be hard to see all of the positive things happening on the inside as his gut health improves and his blood pressure drops :)
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    Oh and CONGRATS to him!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    So, my guy is still a soda guzzler and all that, but aside from that, he's pretty decently low carb, though much higher than me. He is SUPER anti-meds and supplements, and I can so much see him suffering with magnesium and potassium losses. He blatantly refuses to take anything. He's a once a month bath guy, so epsom salts are out. I use a bit of light salt in his food last night, and he didn't seem to notice, but I know it's magnesium he really needs... Any suggestions???
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    You can get potassium in an avocado, would he eat a whole avo a day? You could make guac and have celery and guac as a snack. Magnesium I'm not sure, I am worried I'm not getting enough of that too. What are the signs?
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So, my guy is still a soda guzzler and all that, but aside from that, he's pretty decently low carb, though much higher than me. He is SUPER anti-meds and supplements, and I can so much see him suffering with magnesium and potassium losses. He blatantly refuses to take anything. He's a once a month bath guy, so epsom salts are out. I use a bit of light salt in his food last night, and he didn't seem to notice, but I know it's magnesium he really needs... Any suggestions???

This article has some good suggestions, pumpkin seeds and spinach are keto/LCHF friendly: http://naturalsociety.com/16-magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-signs-low-levels/
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Your post is making me think of my parents, as my mom is trying to help my dad eat better, but, as has been said already a few times, he's going to have to want to do this for himself. Keep working on you and hopefully he'll join you. If you can, maybe take a moment when he's in a good place/mood and say, "Honey, I love you and I want us to live a long life together. I'm concerned that I might loose you, and I want to help you any way I can. It sounds like you're interested in losing weight and getting healthy, but maybe have felt frustrated in the process. Is there any way that I can help you be successful?" He may choose to get defensive or say "No" to any help, but just keeping that door "open" for him to partner with you is important. I would encourage you to let the "issue" drop for a while and see if, by your example and success and keeping that open door, he comes around to wanting to do this for himself. If he does decide to do it, I would say to let him know that you want to be able to help him be successful and that you're willing to help make lunch with/for him and maybe plan to do walks together during the week....my husband and I used to eat dinner, clean up and go for walks afterwards and it was GREAT couple time for us. Whatever happens, just keep plugging away on what you can do for you and encourage him when he makes good choices.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Your post is making me think of my parents, as my mom is trying to help my dad eat better, but, as has been said already a few times, he's going to have to want to do this for himself. Keep working on you and hopefully he'll join you. If you can, maybe take a moment when he's in a good place/mood and say, "Honey, I love you and I want us to live a long life together. I'm concerned that I might loose you, and I want to help you any way I can. It sounds like you're interested in losing weight and getting healthy, but maybe have felt frustrated in the process. Is there any way that I can help you be successful?" He may choose to get defensive or say "No" to any help, but just keeping that door "open" for him to partner with you is important. I would encourage you to let the "issue" drop for a while and see if, by your example and success and keeping that open door, he comes around to wanting to do this for himself. If he does decide to do it, I would say to let him know that you want to be able to help him be successful and that you're willing to help make lunch with/for him and maybe plan to do walks together during the week....my husband and I used to eat dinner, clean up and go for walks afterwards and it was GREAT couple time for us. Whatever happens, just keep plugging away on what you can do for you and encourage him when he makes good choices.

Yeah, he will never fully go low carb, and I've accepted that. I cannot force him to change. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about simply how to work more nutrients into his food naturally, especially considering soil depletion and not-affordable organic options.

I take comfort in the fact that he's come light years from where he was, and I do live by example. He'll eat pretty much anything I cook, but he'll only do spinach if I put it in his taco salad and such, and as I can't eat it any longer (gallbladder complications), even a small portion would go bad before I could use it...he doesn't like it in a cooked preparation, and likely wouldn't eat Pumpkin Seeds. He's an almonds and cashews mostly only kind of guy...

I'm more looking for ways to boost general nutrition, and specifically magnesium and electrolyte basics, in all our meals...
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    (...)
    And, you said he was inspired by r/keto, maybe he could post on there and let them guide him a bit directly. He might be more likely to heed their advice if he seeks it out himself.

^^ This.

It may be easier for him to follow advice from someone else. If you say something like, I don't know why it's working better for me, we're doing pretty much the same, aren't we? Maybe someone on r/keto has had the same experience and could offer you some suggestions on what to change?

I bet he knows what he is doing wrong, he can easily see what he is doing differently from you, he just has to decide to stop it. And you're doing all you can to help him, there's nothing more inspiring than your own success.

Congrats on your loss!

::flowerforyou::

• cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That's great news. I saw your earlier post and was going to ask if he'd gotten into ketosis at all yet.

When I weighed my heaviest, starting the low carb diet was miserable. It probably took me 2 - 3 weeks to finally get into ketosis.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

... and likely wouldn't eat Pumpkin Seeds. He's an almonds and cashews mostly only kind of guy...

Brazil nuts have a bit more magnesium than almonds and cashews - might help a bit.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @klkateri Yay, what an awesome accomplishment, and without even counting! Great work for supporting him with providing healthy snacking choices, and lots of encouragement!

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    So happy he is finally seeing the scale move!! 20 pounds is awesome (typical male! Lol!), and good for you for helping by keeping on plan snacks around for him! Well wishes for continued success for both of you!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that's great!!
    I really hope my husband makes some progress soon. (he's been making making time to exercise five times times a week despite work demands so that's a start!) Different set of of issues but it's hard to sit back and watch.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have just the opposite problem with my hubby, he needs to gain weight and he was hardly eating at all. I would cook up eggs and bacon for breakfast and always made a nice dinner, even making mashed potatoes and boiling noodles for him knowing I was NOT going to eat them. And though I hate to brag, I'm an excellent cook. The food I'm making is not poorly cooked. We've been married over 30 years and he use to really like the food I made. But now, he hardly put a portion worth of food on his plate. It really worried me.

Then I discovered a whole lot of fast food wrappers in his truck one day. I don't usually ride in his truck but we had to drop off my car for repairs and he drove me back home. I didn't say anything, it may not be good food but he was eating. So, I figure he's an adult. If he doesn't like the food I'm making he doesn't have to eat it. It's just a relief to know he is eating something and maybe he didn't want to eat the junk food in front of me. Whatever reason, I'm relieved he's eating and I'll let him keep his little secret.

So, maybe your hubby is eating out too?