No wonder so many of us are sick and overweight

Options
13»

Replies

• Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I would love to vilify certain foods but if someone eats a slice of that cake it won't kill them.

My problem was never the single piece of cake or pie. It was the 4th piece!!!

But I can't get that ball rolling and fire up the sugar demons. So I will say, whatever works for you and pass.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    No one said one slice of that cake would kill them
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I love to make cakes! Sometimes with a mix, sometimes from scratch. It just depends on how much time I have. I'm gluten free so when they started selling the GF mixes it was a huge time saver. I always make real buttercream or cream cheese icing though because it takes 5 minutes and the taste will always be so much better. Every year I make my daughter and granddaughter an intricately decorated cake and I do use pre-made fondant for that because it's easy, convenient, and more predictable than making homemade.

I've been kind of proud that the past two cakes I've made I have done zero snacking on the fondant scraps or leftover icing! Before I started cutting carbs I'd eat myself into a sugar coma making a cake! lol
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Is making a cake from scratch no normal in the US then?

I think it depends. Among my friends and family, baking from scratch is common. Same with cooking. For some, it is a budget issue, as cooking/baking from scratch is much less expensive. For others, it is because they have committed themselves to preparing quality/real food for their family.

I still bake bread for my kids lunches and make birthday cakes and such. While my kids eat much less carbs than their counterparts, they still do eat it. I'm okay with that.

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've recently noticed this new social media phenomenon of the rapid fire, short clip cooking demos. It's usually shot looking down into a mixing bowl and ingredients are quickly added and mixed. The whole thing is done inside of 60 seconds. Ppl are always posting and sharing as tho they will actually make this stuff. I'm old enough to remember REAL cooking shows where a professional chef truly demonstrated how to make something (like Julia Child). Those were great.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    On topic of people cooking/not cooking, I think the influx of shows around cooking has helped a TON. Hells Kitchen, Kitchen nightmares, Cutthroat kitchen, Diners Drive in and Dives, basically everything on the food network.. I believe it's all inspired people to say, that doesn't look THAT hard, I should try it. And of course, it's not hard, and they continue on trying to cook more and more difficult items.

As far as the box mixes if they go on sale I buy them up. It's definitely not a matter of "I can't bake" but it's a matter of having a cheap and quick option. For $1 it's worth picking up a box. I don't eat cupcakes but my husband does.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    I've recently noticed this new social media phenomenon of the rapid fire, short clip cooking demos. It's usually shot looking down into a mixing bowl and ingredients are quickly added and mixed. The whole thing is done inside of 60 seconds. Ppl are always posting and sharing as tho they will actually make this stuff. I'm old enough to remember REAL cooking shows where a professional chef truly demonstrated how to make something (like Julia Child). Those were great.

I know exactly what you mean. I need to know how people do this! I wanted to do this for cauliflower rice and cauliflower mash for all those struggling with it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I love to bake, and I don't like mixes (never thought they were worth the calories). However, I've managed to go without baking anything that isn't low carb cheesecake or custard, for quite a few months now.