Team Carol Meat and Greet

Options

Replies

• lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bonus pt 1. My aha moment was when I joined MFP. I was just planning to use it to record going to the gym but it was asking for my weight. So I stepped on scales for the first time in years and was not pleased.

Bonus pt 2. I'm getting better and at least take multivitamins
  • lynnhudzik
    lynnhudzik Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    BP #1: no real "Aha" moment - just tired of not being happy with any mirror, my clothes, realizing that I am not getting any younger, and mostly that I am worth the time & effort to do something for me!

BP#2: I am getting much better in choosing veggies over carbs and choosing fruits as snacks - not perfect but I am on the road to healthy!!
  • ginncjb
    ginncjb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    BP1: aha moment...I feel like I've had many of these but rarely follow thru, but getting a Fitbit did give me the realization of how little activity I was getting on the weekends. Working on that.

BP2: I love salad but seem to only collect the ingredients then grab something easier & less healthy instead! Now that I know this about myself, I'm going to stop worrying about the slightly higher cost & start buying pre-made or pre-cooked salad ingredients.
  • chupajen
    chupajen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bonus point 1: aha moment (this time around) going to the doctors getting weighed and realizing I hadnt lost any baby weight since the baby was born. She will be 3 in June, i figured it was about time to get back on track.

Bonus point 2: I really need to drink more water for the most part. Also, I tend to go overboard with veggies ands fruits, leaving protein behind.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    MORNING!!!!!!!! Just thought I would check in and say hi. The more I get on and talk, the more likely I am to stick to my goals.
  • lvadmama
    lvadmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    tj1376 wrote: »
    MORNING!!!!!!!! Just thought I would check in and say hi. The more I get on and talk, the more likely I am to stick to my goals.

I do the same thing!
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Right there with you guys! Have a great week all!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Hope it's not too late to post for this past week:

BP #1 - my aha moment was a realization over time that the scale was steadily going in the wrong direction. I retired in September 2014 and thought I'd spend a lot of time exercising, but I found a lot of other things to do. Although I'd had a sedentary desk job for over 30 years I always walked on my breaks and took the stairs instead of the elevator. Apparently that was keeping me more fit than I realized. After 4 months of retirement I had gained nearly 30 pounds! I knew it was happening, but tried to ignore it. Finally in January 2015, I decided to join MFP again and get busy. Lost about 25 of the 30 gained, but still wanting to drop about another 10 to get into a healthy BMI.

BP #2 - I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables, but often struggle with the protein. I've been shooting for 30%, but never make it. Still will keep on trying. I also find my sodium is often a bit high than I'd like, so paying more attention to that, as well.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Winners and Walkers is updated. And new challenge is posted. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10330376/weekly-character-challenge#latest
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Healthier option foods...Well I do make pizza using egg and Parmesan as the crust instead of dough. And i do make cauliflower rice in place of rice and potatoes and pasta.
    I also use half light sour cream and half greek yogurt instead of full sour cream to make it healthier. (I eat alot of sour cream)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BP #1

I've also been exploring new ways to use cauliflower. I tried mashing it like potatoes, but it wasn't much like potatoes, so maybe what I really made was cauliflower rice?

I've also heard about using cauliflower for pizza crust, but haven't tried that yet.

I am going to try some cauliflower buffalo wings (like buffalo chicken) and see how that goes.

I make zucchini noodles in place of pasta or mix half and half with gluten-free spaghetti. My husband loves it! I also make a delicious zucchini noodle Asian salad with zucchini, carrots and a little sesame oil. Yum!
  • maphammonds
    Options
    BP #1

My husband suffers from gout; salt is one of his main triggers. One strategy we use to cut down on these is to avoid pre-processed foods. I've learned how to make from scratch cream of chicken soup, enchilada sauce, soup stocks and many other things that have crazy amounts of sodium (often more than the RDA in a single serving!). Another thing is to skip the low cal/ low fat options in many food; instead going with smaller portions of the 'regular' stuff, which have fewer trans fats and preservatives.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Porridge instead of flour for pancakes. Also rapeseed oil is much better than sunflower/olive.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options
    Bonus Point #1:

I use a lot of Skinnytaste recipes which have helped me identify ways to lighten up meals (i.e, reduced sodium chicken broth, greek yogurt, skim milk, whole wheat pasta, reduced fat cheese, adding mushrooms with meat to make it more filling, making your own tomato sauce). Instead of ice cream every night, I have greek yogurt with some fruit and a few chocolate chips. Sometimes I'll freeze a banana and then mash it up to make a "milkshake" as well.

I've made cauliflower pizza before and that was really good, but I don't know if I'll get my boyfriend behind that idea.
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    BP #1

My husband suffers from gout; salt is one of his main triggers. One strategy we use to cut down on these is to avoid pre-processed foods. I've learned how to make from scratch cream of chicken soup, enchilada sauce, soup stocks and many other things that have crazy amounts of sodium (often more than the RDA in a single serving!). Another thing is to skip the low cal/ low fat options in many food; instead going with smaller portions of the 'regular' stuff, which have fewer trans fats and preservatives.

Congrats on making the soups and sauces from scratch!

• wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have learned a lot over the last year and working on following the anti-inflammation protocol. I substitute cauliflower for rice, pasta, pizza crust; spaghetti squash for pasta, made a caramel sauce from sweet potatoes (oh so good!), because dairy is off limits I have made cheese from zucchini, I make a lot of my own sauces, mixes and bone broth. In doing so I have full control over what goes into them.

Fat is my friend, so low cal isn't a focus of mine. I often will eat leftovers for breakfast. I have a go to breakfast soup, and have found that a breakfast salad with a healthy oil or avocado is very satisfying.

I really enjoy cooking when I have the time and am always looking for something new or different to make.
  • maphammonds
    Options
    a caramel sauce from sweet potatoes (oh so good!)

Really?? What's that recipe? Love, love sweet potatoes!

• lvadmama
    lvadmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use greek yogurt to replace cream cheese in recipes too...especially in dips. Baking with it is trickier! I use veggie noodles, cauliflower rice and often drop oil from recipes completely.
  • maphammonds
    Options
    Bonus Point #1 - I work from home full time, so not roaming into the kitchen and grabbing whatever looks delicious can be challenging. A couple of things to combat this - when I do walk into the kitchen, I drink a glass of water first, then I assess if I'm really hungry, or just bored or whatever. If I really am hungry I choose smart - fruit, nuts, maybe some 'light' carbs. Thankfully, the sweets and chips my DH and DD like are not ones that I like, so I buy them what they enjoy and I'm not tempted to eat it all up. When my granddaughter comes over, we usually bake something and I do enjoy whatever it is (cookies, cupcakes, etc.), but when it's time for her to go home, I send the treats with her!