Let's talk vegetables!!

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
as I'm cooking some green beans in a skillet with bacon drippings and seasoning with garlic salt & onion powder I am wondering how others cook their veggies? I love these green beans (stir fried I used u would say) but how do you cook veggies and with what seasonings? Would like to hear other veggies too like broccoli I only ever steam mine,,, gets old...

Here is what my bacon dripping green beans look like. They have to have the sweeter sear on them lol

fnn8wtqrcbgc.jpg

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    xha29evs5629.jpeg
    I'm pretty boring as there are carbs in so many of the blended seasonings, but I'm a big fan of chopping up fresh ginger, garlic and lemongrass for a stir fry instead of using sauce, there's still some carbs in there, but I don't add them in, besides garlic and ginger are good for digestion.

But here are my veggies from last night, I added in some spring onion for extra flavour with the green beans and mushrooms. spring onions are my go-to for sweetness with minimal carbs. That and fresh chives. They're my real onion replacement, which I miss so much, but onions push my blood sugar over the edge.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Oh I never thought to add the green onions to my green beans and never heard of lemon grass so I'm fixing to look that up! Thanks
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried roasted broccoli? My love of roasted veggies started with this simple recipe (Ignore the part about leaving in the sugar - I have found it tastes just as good without it):

http://benandbirdy.blogspot.com/2012/01/crack-broccoli.html
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Lots of roasted cauliflower with Olive oil, salt and pepper on it. ( prior to roasting )

Also, I make cauliflower rice and then cook it in chicken broth and butter.

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Oh, and creamed spinach.... OMG... could eat that 3x a week, easily.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I roast any green veggies with olive oil balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I had Brussels sprouts last night. I cut them in halves, (removed ends) then laid them out on a baking sheet (cut faces up). Kerrygold Butter and coconut oil mixed and melted in the microwave
    then poured it over the sprouts. Shredded cheese, pepper and GrillMates Montreal steak seasoning sprinkled over. Baked for 20 minutes.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I LOVE vegetables. My current kick is raw cauliflower dipped in Newman's Creamy Caeser Dressing! I also love roasted brussels and green and yellow beans with kerrygold butter melted on top. I do need to try my brussels with coconut oil now thanks to Wilma ^^ :)
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus, sauteed zucchini, spring mix w/ a good dressing (Brianna's real french balsamic is low in carbs), riced cauliflower, sauteed mushrooms...I love veggies!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Oh I never thought to add the green onions to my green beans and never heard of lemon grass so I'm fixing to look that up! Thanks

I love lemongrass, it's my fave! To prepare them for a stir fry, peel off the outer layer, take a mallet or rolling pin and bash the stalks, then slice them super thin, the same way you'd slice a green onion, so into little round pieces, as thin as you can.

It goes great in soup too, just bash them and cut the stalks into 3 inch lengths and toss in the pot. Pull them out before you serve or just warn your family not to eat the stalks.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    Lots of roasted cauliflower with Olive oil, salt and pepper on it. ( prior to roasting )

Also, I make cauliflower rice and then cook it in chicken broth and butter.

Roasted cauliflower is delish!! When I was eating more veggie carbs, I'd make cauliflower soup after roasting it, it's sooo good!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I love my veggies! Roasted anything. Sprouts, cauli, broccoli etc. DH complains about the smell of roasted cauli :'( so that does not happen often. Green beans sauteed in butter or bacon grease with toasted almonds. Yummm. It is carbie but if I have room, roasted seasoned chickpeas. And changing from bacon grease, to coconut oil, to butter changes the flavour of each dish.

Can I get the creamed spinach recipe? I love spinach but I hated creamed anything as a child, but would like to try again.

Thanks

By the way, I eat salads and veggies at almost every meal. Above ground only at the moment but lots of veggies. Anyone else do that?
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Collard greens with fried, almost charred ends n' pieces bacon (the super meaty stuff), well salted, cooked in bacon grease, and finished with a splash of champagne vinegar.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »

My fave! Sometimes I add mushrooms and bell peppers, too, and use a marinade with a little soy, chile powder, garlic, and vinegar.

I make these Indian style green beans with coconut. http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/addictive-indian-style-green-beans-12249

Brussels are great steamed lightly, then pan fried with bacon and radicchio.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 977 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    Have you ever tried roasted broccoli? My love of roasted veggies started with this simple recipe (Ignore the part about leaving in the sugar - I have found it tastes just as good without it):

http://benandbirdy.blogspot.com/2012/01/crack-broccoli.html

Yum, thank you for the recipe!

I love to roast brussel sprouts and after they are done I drizzle lemon olive oil on top. I love lemon olive oil on anything. It does not taste well to cook with but good on salads and cooked vegetables.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We do lots of roasted veggies and lots of stir fry. Hubs is mostly vegetarian, but if I roast some vegetables with fancy sausage he will eat around the sausage.

Tonight we're having a curried cauliflower dish. YUM.

Last week I did pan fried brussels that were to die for.

I also like plain steamed veg.

I'm kinda of a veggie junkie.
  • cvpastore
    cvpastore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love roasted cauliflower in coconut oil and curry. I made a batch and the family eats it all before dinner!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I made spaghetti squash this past weekend and LOVED it. I have never liked squash before. I baked in the oven face down, scraped to form the spaghetti, topped with ghee, himalayan pink salt, black pepper, and grated kerrygold Dubliner. My new fave veggie!!
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone lots of things to try... What seasonings do you put on your roasted veggies? Also never heard of lemon oil... Sounds interesting and OMG I am so going to try collard greens, Do u just do in grease? Or add water? I e only boiled mine before
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone lots of things to try... What seasonings do you put on your roasted veggies? Also never heard of lemon oil... Sounds interesting and OMG I am so going to try collard greens, Do u just do in grease? Or add water? I e only boiled mine before

Boiling collard greens should be a sin. Lol.

Chop them up how you like them. I recommend cutting the bunch into bands that are about 2'' thick, then cut each band in half. You get rectangles of yumminess.

Fry up some chopped bacon (2 strips or about an ounce per portion seems about right). Once the bacon is crisp, dump your chopped greens into the pan and reduce the heat down to a low-medium. Let them cook down a bit, then pour in a splash (1 - 2 TBSP per serving) of your favorite vinegar. ACV works well, but I prefer champagne vinegar. Let the leaves get all wilty and yummy, and salt to taste. Perfect greens!