NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    Tried on a swim suit last night to make sure it fits for starting swimming in a few weeks. It is all baggy in the rear, but fits fine every where else. Just shaking my head at where the weight comes off, not complaining mind you.

I had to change *kitten* to rear...had no idea that MFP was that picky. What if I had been talking about a donkey?
    Good NSV… and, yes, the MFP uses an automatic editor so we can't sass…
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Great job @Montepulciano

I purchased a new suit too. Yahoo!
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Hit 10,000 step goal today.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Also bought a new swimsuit. Can't wait to use it when the hubby and I go to Florida for a few days in April. B)
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Congrats! on the bathing suit - enjoy!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Went to a business meeting yesterday. One of my male coworkers commented about my dramatic weight loss and what a nice figure I have! Not bad for a 61 year ol' fart! I'll take it!
  • JMarcella57
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    Went to a business meeting yesterday. One of my male coworkers commented about my dramatic weight loss and what a nice figure I have! Not bad for a 61 year ol' fart! I'll take it!

Awesome!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »

Lovely when we get reinforcement for our hard work. Well done! :)
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ditto...ran into a former teacher who left the district about a year ago. The look on her face when she recognized me was priceless.
  • JMarcella57
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    Ditto...ran into a former teacher who left the district about a year ago. The look on her face when she recognized me was priceless.

Love it!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    This year, I've worked my swim up to 2250 yards total, with the first 1500 done without breaks. I've also done a few 1 mile open-ocean swims (in Florida...).
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Excellent!! Nice to know another swimmer in the ranks! I try to get a mile in but because of limited pool times, I don't always succeed. This month I have been working on doing the fly without dying....it gives me a good HIIT with alternating backstroke laps. I must look like Shamu having seizures but no one is watching (hopefully) and I have managed to smooth out quite a bit. Certainly gets my heartrate up.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    I might have to up my game. My coworkers, Mike and Patrick, are overweight like me. Although there isn't a formal competition, each of us checks in with the others. Patrick is the youngest and he took three weeks off for vacation…Mike ran into him at the gym… Apparently Patrick is hitting the cardio hard and looks like he's lost 20 lbs. I'm not sure that sounds like a healthy weight loss but Mike could be exaggerating.

Regardless, I've been stuck around the same weight for the past couple of months. I need to refocus my efforts!!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You right Kathi, feels so good!
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Good News and Bad News: all my size 14 suits are too loose, so I went to Dress Barn for my favorite Jones NY separates and a size 12 pant is too loose also. Bad news: size 10 is a little snug - so I have to wait. I hope all my problems next week will be this trivial.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I just have to mention.... every NSV I see in this thread shows me how positive this group stays! I enjoy every one of them and find motivation in them always. New clothes, longer swim distances, trying new things, the monster lifts at the gym, a healthy food change... I find something in all of them.

For me, a most recent find.....

A long term goal of mine has been to get my cardio ability up to the levels I was out when I got out of the military 26 years ago. I set this goal knowing it would be hard, and knowing I might not reach that level, but would try harder if I set a tough goal.

I am using my elliptical equivalent miles for the running goals, as it saves my back and knees from the impacts of actual running. But having run a few times, I am certain the elliptical miles are just as tough otherwise.

I'm still falling short on my 3 mile time, but working on it. And I realized that since we didn't time or score longer runs in the military that might be harder to compare. But then I remembered that I had a race time from a 10k I ran with some coworkers. I knew I had my time and finish position in a newspaper (ha! that dates me!) clipping from the race. So the other day I got digging through photo albums and found it.

And when I looked at my time, I quickly got my phone to look at my 1 hour times recently, and did the math real quick to equate my 10k time. And not only have I matched the 10k time, I have slightly bettered it!

My last competitive 10k race was in 1988. And I finished the race just outside the top 10 percent. This NSV for me was huge, and it just motivates me even more to keep going.

Maybe that is an advantage we have in this group. We tend to compete against ourselves more and set our goals, rather than compare to the most fit, thin, whatever else people in the world. And we've been around long enough to enjoy whatever NSV's we come across.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @robertw486, Great NSV!

Guessing if you were doing 3 mile runs in the military, your branch was the Marines (pull-ups, sit-up, and 3 mile run).

I've been using the Army Physical Fitness Test (push-ups, sit-ups, 2 mile run) as a way of challenging myself and measuring my progress. My PB on the APFT some years ago was 235 out of 300. Last week I scored 208 so I still have a ways to go.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    @robertw486 You are absolutely right! How motivating it is to see everyone's NSV - some even inspire me to push my own limits.

My new nutritionist has challenged me to hit 10,000 steps everyday, except weight training days. Yesterday, I had to go to work. I didn't have time to take my customary 10 minute or so break in between miles. So I took the treadmill off my 9.5 incline and did 4.5 miles straight thru.

Happy Easter, all.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @robertw486, Great NSV and some nice insight into the group. The best NSVs come from doing more than I thought I could, at least for me.