Low carb lifestyle long term

Options

Replies

• Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    prenes wrote: »
    I have been strict Keto for 9 months. I have bloodwork done and my dr is very interested. All my #s came back great. my triglycerides, lipids, and cholesterol were great. Even my T3 and T4 were in the good range.

That is SO wonderful. How many g of carbs intake? And how do you feel most days? Weight etc?

I feel great. I am "fat adapted" I love to test so I test my ketone levels throughout the day. My ketones are low in the morning (naturally) however within a couple hours they are up and I have no energy problems. I still have weight to lose so I play with how much fat intake I consume. I workout 5 days a week so I get hungry ;).

Oh I didn't know you could test your ketones, neat!. As long as you are under your calorie range with fat intake you will still lose correct?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I love to test so I test my ketone levels throughout the day.

Are you using the Ketonix breath tester?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Does anyone know of anyone who has maintained a LCHF lifestyle for many years, like 10 or more?

Jacqueline A. Eberstein, R.N., worked for nearly 30 years in Dr. Atkins' practice beginning in 1974. Her grateful testimonial is included in Chapter 20 of Phinney & Volek's "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living." Here's an excerpt:
    After seeing the lab results, I immediately began the Induction phase of his diet and soon felt better, just as his patients did. As long as I ate correctly and didn't skip meals I rarely experienced my prior symptoms. That remains true to this day. This was my first lesson in the power of practical nutrition (albeit outside of mainstream medical opinion). I am convinced that if I hadn't followed Dr. Atkins advice I would have had type 2 diabetes long ago. I can thank him for many things but most especially for that.
  • prenes
    prenes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

So I do both ketonix and blood ketone. The ketonix registers the acetone and the blood will register the bhb. I am trying to see a correlation, but the ketonix will always register low 40s for me whereas blood ketones (depending on the time of day) will register .5 to 1.1
  • RalfLott
    Options

So I do both ketonix and blood ketone. The ketonix registers the acetone and the blood will register the bhb. I am trying to see a correlation, but the ketonix will always register low 40s for me whereas blood ketones (depending on the time of day) will register .5 to 1.1

Thanks. Any particular tips for reliable yet cost-effective testing habits?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have been strict Keto for 9 months. I have bloodwork done and my dr is very interested. All my #s came back great. my triglycerides, lipids, and cholesterol were great. Even my T3 and T4 were in the good range.

That is SO wonderful. How many g of carbs intake? And how do you feel most days? Weight etc?

I feel great. I am "fat adapted" I love to test so I test my ketone levels throughout the day. My ketones are low in the morning (naturally) however within a couple hours they are up and I have no energy problems. I still have weight to lose so I play with how much fat intake I consume. I workout 5 days a week so I get hungry ;).

Oh I didn't know you could test your ketones, neat!. As long as you are under your calorie range with fat intake you will still lose correct?

The cheapest way to test ketones is Ketostix which tests for ketones in the urine. It isn't as accurate as the breath or blood tests.

They can be purchased at a pharmacy.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of anyone who has maintained a LCHF lifestyle for many years, like 10 or more?

Christine Cronau, I believe - http://christinecronau.com/christines-story/

Kelly Hogan (and her kids) - http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/start/

Owsley "The Bear" Stanley

Peter Attia (not quite 10 years yet, but over 5) - http://eatingacademy.com/how-i-lost-weight
  • prenes
    Options

well its up to you on why you are testing. As long as you are under ~20 carbs per day for a total of 3-5 days you will be in ketosis. I check for trends to give to my dr.

if you are into testing then ketonix is the cheapest in the long run $120 or so to get in it then you never have to pay for anything else. Some have suggested pee strips. the problem with pee strips is they will often provide a false negative. it only reads 1 type of ketone and its the one you produce the smallest amount of. and the most accurate is the blood test. The meter is cheap/free but you have to search for the strips. I have found a place online in Australia that will sell them roughly $.50 a strip.

• Buildingit3157
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Christine Cronau, I believe - http://christinecronau.com/christines-story/

Kelly Hogan (and her kids) - http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/start/

Owsley "The Bear" Stanley

Peter Attia (not quite 10 years yet, but over 5) - http://eatingacademy.com/how-i-lost-weight

Interesting! Still reading thanks
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    As a healthcare professional, it was hard for me to accept fat, but I did know that low fat wasn't doing anyone any favors. Cholesterol Clarity is a very good read, as well as Grain Brain. I leaped in blind faith a year ago, after the knowledge I gained from the people here (just as you're doing)! Good luck! I'm very happy that I don't administer daily medications in my position! I would feel a true conflict of interest at this point!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am interested in what type of fats comprise the 80% figure... would that mean bacon and eggs or almonds and avocado? Or both?
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    As a healthcare professional, it was hard for me to accept fat, but I did know that low fat wasn't doing anyone any favors. Cholesterol Clarity is a very good read, as well as Grain Brain. I leaped in blind faith a year ago, after the knowledge I gained from the people here (just as you're doing)! Good luck! I'm very happy that I don't administer daily medications in my position! I would feel a true conflict of interest at this point!

I agree! Earlier I watched a video about the supporting reasons saturated fat and other fats actually help the heart. Someone kindly posted In this thread. It really put my thoughts to ease. It was over an hour long but seeing the studies from reputable colleges was well worth piece of mind. :)
  • prenes
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I am interested in what type of fats comprise the 80% figure... would that mean bacon and eggs or almonds and avocado? Or both?

gotta watch out for almonds they have a few more carbs than say macadamia nuts. anything more than a handful and you can start racking up the carbs.

can always cook with butter or bacon fat to add fat to your meat and veggies. just keep track of how much.

• Buildingit3157
    edited April 2016
    Options

gotta watch out for almonds they have a few more carbs than say macadamia nuts. anything more than a handful and you can start racking up the carbs.

can always cook with butter or bacon fat to add fat to your meat and veggies. just keep track of how much.

How about supplements everyone??? I take a multi but should I change that? My calcium and iron looks low from logging anyway. What do you all take?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

How about supplements everyone??? I take a multi but should I change that? My calcium and iron looks low from logging anyway. What do you all take?

Here was a recent discussion about supplements.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10363620/what-and-why-supplements#latest

But also check out the info in this post.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

If someone is at 80% fats they are probably going for a carnivorous diet and aiming for no carbs (or plant foods). If fats are 80%, most would probably be saturated or monounsaturated fats from meats, dairy and eggs, with some variation from seafood. Some may add vegetable oils or fats.

As the percentage of fats comes down, and carbs go up, it is easier to add in fats from plants.

My fats are usually around 75%, and coconut oil makes up a good sized portion of that.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options

Here was a recent discussion about supplements.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10363620/what-and-why-supplements#latest

But also check out the info in this post.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest

Thanks!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Don't bother with ketostix:

http://ketogains.com/2015/08/dont-fall-victim-to-ketone-envy-ever-wanted-to-know-what-it-means-to-have-more-or-less-ketones-and-how-should-we-measure-them/
    If you can leave this thread with one piece of knowledge it’s to stop using ketostix.
    They are not for people in nutritional ketosis. They are for diabietic to ensure they aren’t going to go into diabetic ketoacidosis, which isn’t a problem for those with normal insulin function. The only thing you’ll do by using ketostix is freak yourself out wondering if that normal or if you did something wrong. Also, at worst case scenario, you could’ve done something wrong (eaten too many carbs) and caused ketones to stop being used because your body is trying to metabolize the glucose first so it flushes the ketones out of your urine and you think “whew, I’m still in ketosis” when in reality *you are only seeing ketones because you are not in ketosis.* See why they are misleading? There are many other backwards cases and I’m not going to go into them. Just don’t use the stix. Thank you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_all_about_ketostix
    Since Ketostix™ only register relative concentrations, rather than absolute amounts, changes in hydration state can affect the concentration of ketones which appear. A high water intake tends to dilute urinary ketone concentrations giving lighter readings. Ketones in the urine simply indicate an overproduction of ketones such that excess spill into the urine. So it is conceivable for someone to be in ketosis without showing urinary ketones.

Some individuals can never get past trace ketosis, while others always seem to show darker readings. There seems to be little rhyme or reason as to why some individuals will always show deep concentrations of urinary ketones while others will not. Some will show higher urinary ketones after a high fat meal, suggesting that dietary fat is being converted to ketones which are then excreted. Consuming medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) has the same effect. Other individuals seem to only register ketones on the stick after extensive aerobic exercise. Finally, there appear to be daily changes in ketone concentrations, caused by fluctuations in hormone levels. Generally ketone concentrations are smaller in the morning and larger in the evening, reaching a peak at midnight. Many individuals report high ketones at night but show no urinary ketones the next morning while others report the opposite.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    Oh my Goodness! I woke up today (day 5 since I restarted ketosis) and the fog has lifted! Haha yay! I have energy oh my.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If someone is at 80% fats they are probably going for a carnivorous diet and aiming for no carbs (or plant foods). If fats are 80%, most would probably be saturated or monounsaturated fats from meats, dairy and eggs, with some variation from seafood. Some may add vegetable oils or fats.

As the percentage of fats comes down, and carbs go up, it is easier to add in fats from plants.

My fats are usually around 75%, and coconut oil makes up a good sized portion of that.

Actually, a carnivorous diet only sits around 60-70% fat, naturally, surprisingly enough. Even with adding things like sour cream and butter, I've had a hard time pushing that 80% mark as a carnivore without just eating a bunch of fat by itself. @FIT_Goat's hamburger experiment has his fat only about 75% with the fattiest hamburger he can get his hands on. It is certainly possible to do it, but you generally have to consciously put forth effort into doing so.

An 80% fat diet would more likely be classical, therapeutic ketogenic. Some can rely a lot on vegetable oils, though coconut oil supplementation has become popular.