Intermittent Fasting -A quote from Dr. Fung, and a question

Options
2»

Replies

• wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @Jan93L I've already planned wild-caught sardines for lunch--that oughta give me a blast of fish micronutrients! Just trying to figure out what I can eat them with so I can get them down. ;) It won't be crackers! I'm not wild about fish in general, but if I put enough butter on it..... :) Thanks!

@Foamroller You've given me a whole new area to work with in my effort to improve my health and weight. Yes, a guarantee of weight loss would be awesome, but I know that all the pieces put together will at least make my body work better and improve my health. I will be grateful for that. If, on the other hand, I lose a ton of weight, I will do cartwheels. :)
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think of those little bones when I think of sardines. Never tried wild caught ones, only canned. Plenty of butter and or bacon fat might help. Would " breading" them with almond flour help?
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    The wild caught ones are also canned. Got them at Costco. They're so tender I doubt that they would stand up to a breading. I'm thinking of roasting a little cauli/brocc/carrot blend and lay the sardines on top. If needed, I'll add a fried egg; that ought to make it go down easily.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    I think of those little bones when I think of sardines. Never tried wild caught ones, only canned. Plenty of butter and or bacon fat might help. Would " breading" them with almond flour help?

Help with what?

I just eat them out of the can. Makes me feel like a walrus being fed at SeaWorld :smiley:
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Jan93L wrote: »

Help with what?

I just eat them out of the can. Makes me feel like a walrus being fed at SeaWorld :smiley:

Ha! I'll keep that in mind!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've never tried sardines! They weird me out! I don't know what to do with them. Do you eat the whole thing or bite the body end off and leave the head? Do you eat the head?!?! Are they crunchy? Mushy? What about the bones? I have so many questions!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    I get them packed in olive oil. You eat the whole thing; you can feel the bones, but they're very tender, not crunchy. Potent smell! Pretty soft, flaky but not mushy unless you mush them with your fork. I don't love them, but can almost enjoy them on the right food. I used to eat them on toast or crackers or on salads w/ dressing. I can't eat raw veggies anymore (digestive issues) and of course, not crackers or toast. You should give them a try--lots of nutrients. amazon.com/Season-Skinless-Boneless-Sardines-3-75-Ounce/dp/B000HDJYWA/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459866869&sr=8-2&keywords=season+brand+sardines
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The wild caught ones are also canned. Got them at Costco. They're so tender I doubt that they would stand up to a breading. I'm thinking of roasting a little cauli/brocc/carrot blend and lay the sardines on top. If needed, I'll add a fried egg; that ought to make it go down easily.

The costco ones are delightful. I keep an eight pack at work, and home. I put them on salads, wrapped in romaine etc. LOVE THEM. Kippered herring is also wonderful on a salad, or in a romaine leaf.

And because I'm me (not very low carb), I smear a flat-out wrap with mustard, and then add sardines and roll that baby up.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sardines with a cracker or wrap was the way I liked mine too. The texture of those fishies on their own was not that... desirable for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me I have whole tuna packed in olive oil in a pull tab can in the car. :)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    I've never tried sardines! They weird me out! I don't know what to do with them. Do you eat the whole thing or bite the body end off and leave the head? Do you eat the head?!?! Are they crunchy? Mushy? What about the bones? I have so many questions!

Just had my sardine lunch. They didn't have heads, so not to worry about that! :) I ate them with a mix of cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. With butter. It was tasty, didn't mind it at all.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I guess I was thinking of the fresh ones that I see in the store sometimes.