April Presses bring May Dresses

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nugh! I have completely forgotten how much I bench apparently.

Today's workout [lb]:
    squat 5x5 @ 90 (not ready to increase - icky form)
    bench 5x5 @ 52.5
    row 5x5 @ 70 (icky form on the last set, not ready to increase)

I might have done 55 on bench in the past, but I have no memory of doing so. Only a number in a spreadsheet (which I do after I get home from the gym). Which might be a typo. But 52.5 felt easy so maybe I was right (or did I think I was doing 57.5 and my math was bad? Who knows)? So I should have done 57.5... I think? Lol - when your memory is what prevents you from progressing it sucks lol.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh yea...yesterdays lifting was the pits...

SL's
    Squat 5/5/3/4/5 @ 175lbs
    OHp 4/5/5/5/4 @70 pds -have to deload...ugh
    Dl 1x3@185pds had to stop I was really thinking of form way too much and screwing something up. Deloaded to 135lbs and focused on form did 3x5@135pds

Cause I was very cross at myself, I decided I wanted to try the leg press machine, which I haven't done...did 3 sets of 10 at 135pds. It was pretty neat, and my knee didn't hurt at all. Woohooo
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    so i put on my adipowers and for some reason this morning it seemed like the neurological penny finally dropped. i feel like i've FINALLy re-found that feeling of sitting down directly into/onto my glutes and hamstrings that lets me keep my torso upright and my hips close to the bar. spent most of the morning doing sets of 8 air squats in front of my webcam and then replaying them to tie the sensations in to the actual form. and idk if it'll be there tomorrow because i'll probably wake up too sore to move . . . but i did have it and it did look really good. so i'll see.

meanwhile, i went to the gym. i'm pmuch on wendler repscheme and weights, but doing two lifts per workout and probably going to do each lift twice a week instead of just once. and i keep doing extra 'for form reasons' because i have no self-discipline. i was pretty much torched for squatting after 100+ air reps using muscles that aren't used to working anymore. but i did do deadlift and ohp and we'll just call the squats my 'accessory' stuff.

week 2 (3x3. technically).
    ohp: 5x30/40/50 warmup. then a long break, then 3x45/50, 5x55 for work sets.
    deadlift: 5x65/85 warmups, 3x105/115/125 work. not 100% thrilled with how they went but, again. my legs felt pretty shot by then.
    accessory: 8x50/50/60 pendlay rows, plus all the squats. i did a few very low-rep sets with the bar and tried 55 pounds as well, but being under the bar confused all my signals again so i backed off.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs congrats on the form breakthrough! Sounds like you had a busy, but productive workout :)

Today:
    10 min warms
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x75
    Rows: 5x5x75

Pretty close to my 5lb squat increase. It's starting to feel pretty comfortable!
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    So happy I found this group! And StrongLifts for that matter!

Yesterday was my first day so:
    Squat: 5x5 @ 45
    Bench: 5x5 @ 45
    Rows: 5x5 @ 65

Today I'm hoping to run at lunch but feeling pretty unmotivated.

I'm still figuring out all the form and where to grip the bar for different exercises. Rows felt sooo hard. Do you guys really reach the floor between each rep like he says to? That seems like it adds a lot of motion and kind of distracts me from having proper form during the actual lift.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    pezhed wrote: »
    So happy I found this group! And StrongLifts for that matter!

Yesterday was my first day so:
    Squat: 5x5 @ 45
    Bench: 5x5 @ 45
    Rows: 5x5 @ 65

Today I'm hoping to run at lunch but feeling pretty unmotivated.

I'm still figuring out all the form and where to grip the bar for different exercises. Rows felt sooo hard. Do you guys really reach the floor between each rep like he says to? That seems like it adds a lot of motion and kind of distracts me from having proper form during the actual lift.

Hi pezhed! I'm fairly new to SL's myself, but I am really happy I found both too! As far as form, if I'm not sure, I do a few practice lifts with either no weight or a light bar facing forward & sideways looking in the mirrors until I am comfortable with what I am doing.

Can't help you with the rows as I do them with dumbbells facedown on an incline bench, I have lower back issues and am paranoid about making it worse, so I figure safe then sorry with the rows, though one of these days I might/should try them with a barbell

SL's B for me today,

Squat: 45lb 2x5
    70lb 5x5

OHP: 45lb 5x5

DL 45lb 1x5
    100lb 1x5 :# (pretty psyched that I hit 100lbs)!!

BB Curl 40lb 2x8

Shrugs 50lb 2x15

Calf Raises 40lb 3x15

• Deena_Bean
    Options
    @pezhed I do put the bar down between each row; however, I do not put the bar on the floor. I have a squat cage and I drop the safety bars down to where the sit at the bottom of the rack - that gets the bar about a foot off the ground. That way I can stay in the bent over position and I'm not reaching to the ground, dangling the bar, and then lifting it each time. It kills my back if I do, and I'm pretty sure it's not good form. It seems like I recall hearing about some kind of supports you can get to do the same thing (like little stands of some sort). I don't know for sure, though, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Either way, welcome and you're gonna love the results! My running and biking improved big-time after a while lifting. It makes those muscles stronger which makes them more proficient at propelling you forward :)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    Oh yea...yesterdays lifting was the pits...

SL's
    Squat 5/5/3/4/5 @ 175lbs
    OHp 4/5/5/5/4 @70 pds -have to deload...ugh
    Dl 1x3@185pds had to stop I was really thinking of form way too much and screwing something up. Deloaded to 135lbs and focused on form did 3x5@135pds

Cause I was very cross at myself, I decided I wanted to try the leg press machine, which I haven't done...did 3 sets of 10 at 135pds. It was pretty neat, and my knee didn't hurt at all. Woohooo

If 70 pounds OHP is the pits for you, I'm glad you don't see me lift! My OHP progress is torturously slow.
  • pezhed
    Options
    Thanks to you both for the responses. Deena, that is really helpful advice regarding the squat cage. I guess as the plates get bigger in diameter it gets a little higher off the ground, but right now it's so low. I'll check out the cage at the gym and see if the height works for me. A foot would be helpful!
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @pezhed I do the same as Deena, lower the safeties on my squat cage to the lowest rung. I've found Rows much better and easier on my lower back since making that change.

SQ: 3x5 at 30kg
    BP: 5x5 at 34kg
    BR: 5x5 at 36kg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    pezhed wrote: »
    Do you guys really reach the floor between each rep like he says to?

i use trainer plates which are the same size as 45's but only weigh 10 pounds each. so yes, but if i didn't have that option i'd look for some way of making sure the bar was always at that height. it's easier to learn and memorize form when the lifts always feel the same way.

also, hi :D

i did air squats at home and went to the gym. bench and squat day, but still struggling like crazy to deal with the bar in my squats, so really just bench.

which was 5x45/45, 5x55, 3x65, 5x75. wasn't easy and i wasn't pleased with my form. but i got it done and went over 3 on the amrap set.

squats, meh. i did several - SEVERAL - sets with the bar. air squats without the bar are looking/feeling waaaaaay better with the squat shoes, and i really feel happy with my subtle changes. but under the bar is another story. soon as i have to adjust everything about having and keeping the bar on my back, my whole physical configuration changes and i can't find the joint relationships that i need. i'll be resurrecting the broomstick at home until i figure it out, i suppose.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Was absolutely torturous to get out of bed this morning for some cardio. It's cloudy and stormy and I was a up a few times during the night...so broken, brief sleep makes it a little challenging. I did it, though :)

Instead of running I walked at 3mph on an '8' incline. I think running would've been easier lol.
  • pezhed
    Options
    I checked out the squat rack at the gym this morning and there is nothing ~1 foot off the ground. Maybe I will use steps to brace the weight when I do them again on Friday. Thanks for the confirmation that something is needed there.

Today was my first time doing Workout B, so I learned that OHP is SOOO hard. I'm still in shock. I put the bar on my chest and it didn't budge with my first burst, and after completing only one set I failed over and over and over. I'm going to try some of these on Friday with a lighter weight. I think I arched my lower back in the struggle so want to get the form better.

Here is where I ended up:

Squats: 5x5 @ 50 lbs
    OHP: 5/3/0/2/2 @ 45 lbs
    DL: 1x5 @ 90 lbs

Happy hump day everyone!
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    OHP is probably overall the hardest - and will most likely be the lightest weight for most of us. I made it up to 85 as my PR, but I've since de-loaded. I've been hanging out at 65 a while now and I'm probably going to bump up to 70 in a week or two. You can always find one of those aerobic bars and use that to start until you get the total weight up to 45, then switch the olympic bar. My daughter (11) uses my aerobic bar when she wants to lift with me, so I am sure you can do it with some added weight on it to start :)
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    pezhed - I grab some of those steps that they use in the aerobics classes, and I put the weights on the floor on top of those for height. The weight on my bar is not heavy enough to have them raised high enough for the lift. After each row, I let the bar touch the ground and start again. I have been doing this since just before christmas and I think I might have just got the form down yesterday : / I found this and the ohp the hardest to do.

Scrittrice - Just disappointed I have to deload again. I have been trying to get my back adjusted and things working properly for about a month or so. I have tennis elbow and some sharp shoulder/hip pain. Last work out things were going well, then I hit a wall. So I'm disappointed. I would also never compare myself to anyone else, because we are all so different. I would cheer you on if you came into the gym with, regardless of weight. :D it would be awesome to have another woman lifting with me!

Yesterdays SL
    Squats 1x5@175pds - something was 'off' pain the hip (opposite from my issues) so I dumped the weight down 4/5/5/5 @155pds.
    Bench 5x5@115lbs - holy &#*$^ this was heavy, but really excited I got it
    Rows 5x5@125lbs

Not sure what is going on. I have been doing really well getting the weight back up on squats, now I can't hit it. Rows which I usually have major issues with, I breezed through yesterday. The body is such a weird machine. :D
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    For yesterday, 4/5 here were my lifts:

Squat: 5x5 @ 100lbs (WOOHOO!)
    Overhead: 5x5 @ 50lbs - going up to 55lb on Saturday, we'll see how it goes. My husband showed me a little tip about shrugging near the top to help get the weight up and engage the traps. It definitely helped me.
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 140lbs.

Everything felt pretty good, squats are getting harder, but I don't think I'll be hitting my limit until I'm lifting around 120/130 pounds. Just really focusing on good form and trying to engage everything that should be engaged.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    Scrittrice - Just disappointed I have to deload again. I have been trying to get my back adjusted and things working properly for about a month or so. I have tennis elbow and some sharp shoulder/hip pain. Last work out things were going well, then I hit a wall. So I'm disappointed. I would also never compare myself to anyone else, because we are all so different. I would cheer you on if you came into the gym with, regardless of weight. :D it would be awesome to have another woman lifting with me!

@Isca_1 Didn't mean to make you feel guilty! I will be thrilled if/when I hit 70 on OHP. Sometimes it just won't budge.

• klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    4/6

StrongLifts 5X5

Squat 5X5 90lb
    OH Press 5X5 65lb
    Deadlift 1X5 145lb

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Tad late but reasons = pesky cold.

I did deadlifts way back on Sunday night along with a little cardio but I was starting to get sick. Felt okayish but definitely now well during the session and by the end of cardio felt rather blah. Next two days, I worked despite having a cold with Monday being the worst day. Chills, fever, general blah and I couldn't take my break in our break room because it's freezing in there and I would have spent the time shivering. Tuesday felt better so still went to work but I skipped OHP day. I finally got to rest today and didn't go to the gym either. We'll see how tomorrow goes but here was sunday's session:

Chapter 7: Deadlift

low bar squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 3x6 @ 135

Deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x3 @ 185, 1x3 @ 205 and 3x1 @ 230

I didn't use straps and I'd forgotten my belt, so it was technically a small PR as before I'd only done 225. I have done 235 for 1x2 but with straps. The last one was really slow but considering I wasn't at my best, should be able to get 225 for the first attempt at the meet since you want something you can hit on a day when you aren't up to par even. Still have to decide on my opener for squats. hmmm
  • sherocks98
    sherocks98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nice going Ladies!
    Been slacking a little to do lifts. For some reason, wanting to do more treadmill though, I know weights are important