10 min warm
    SL
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x65
    Dead: 1x5x125
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Hm.. I did my squats at home (yay) but they were awful form (boo). I need a mirror! Here was yesterday's workout:

squat 5x5@90lb
    ohp 5x5@47.5lb - I can increase :) I think I accidentally did 6 reps on two sets because I'm terrible at keeping count.
    DL 1x5@130lb - did the over under hand hold and it helped SO much!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Hm.. I did my squats at home (yay) but they were awful form (boo). I need a mirror!

I have a mirror at home right across from my rack - sadly, though, I set the rack up on the wrong side of the room so my butt faces the mirror. Fail.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Everyone's numbers look so awesome! I was reading about the people having problems increasing by 5 pounds each time. I also will do several days at a certain weight, even though I get 5X5, until it feels easier. I also bought these:

http://www.amazon.com/CFF-Competition-Rubber-Fractional-Weight/dp/B0158QP2EY/ref=sr_1_3?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1460039061&sr=1-3&keywords=fractional+weight+plates

I am at a point on OHP and bench where I am NOT going to increase by 5 pounds. I'm at 80 lbs on OHP and 125 on bench and I cannot go to 85 or 130. Now I can go to 80.5 or 81, etc. They just arrived yesterday and I'm super excited to try them.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Everyone's numbers look so awesome! I was reading about the people having problems increasing by 5 pounds each time. I also will do several days at a certain weight, even though I get 5X5, until it feels easier. I also bought these:

http://www.amazon.com/CFF-Competition-Rubber-Fractional-Weight/dp/B0158QP2EY/ref=sr_1_3?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1460039061&sr=1-3&keywords=fractional+weight+plates

I am at a point on OHP and bench where I am NOT going to increase by 5 pounds. I'm at 80 lbs on OHP and 125 on bench and I cannot go to 85 or 130. Now I can go to 80.5 or 81, etc. They just arrived yesterday and I'm super excited to try them.

I am planning to buy those at some point. For now I'm just going to keep going on my slow climb up. When I max out I'll buy them.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing those quiksylver. I actually posted a thread you commented on and shared those on the main fitness message board and ordered them. They are arriving today! I think for all upper body I'm going to use them to increase by 2.5 each time (except OHP since I can't even do 45 lbs yet, but, you know, once I get there..) so I don't get too discouraged by failure. So I'll bench with them tomorrow. Yay!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pezhed wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing those quiksylver. I actually posted a thread you commented on and shared those on the main fitness message board and ordered them. They are arriving today! I think for all upper body I'm going to use them to increase by 2.5 each time (except OHP since I can't even do 45 lbs yet, but, you know, once I get there..) so I don't get too discouraged by failure. So I'll bench with them tomorrow. Yay!

Me, too! I'm excited!
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love my fractional plates, best thing ever!

Tonight's effort:

Squats: 5x5 @ 65kg
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 65kg
    OHP: 3/5/4/5/4 @ 23kg - wobbly arms!

The under / over hand grip transformed my deadlift too, @VeryKatie !

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options

I love my fractional plates too, I have only used them once so far though ahah (they're new too). I have these ones, they were the cheapest I could find on Canadian Amazon. They're nice and slim too so they fit in my overstuffed gym bag easily :)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B010EHW5IS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Fractional plates are the only reason I'm going anywhere with bench or overhead press.

I slept in this morning, still recovering from a cold, so ended up doing my workout in the afternoon. It would be nice if I could workout in the afternoon all the time, but sadly, work. Lifting doesn't pay the bills!

SQ: 3x5 at 30kg
    OHP: 5x5 at 23kg
    Hip Thrust: 5x5 at 25kg
    DL: 1x5 at 77.5kg
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Today was super disappointing...sort of.

Squats - 5x5 @ 105
    Bench - 2x5 @ 80, 3x5 @ 75. Don't know what was going on, but 80 felt really heavy, and I think I was just getting distracted by other lifters making weird sounds while they lift. I normally doing pay attention, but there was a guy doing shrugs at the squat rack, and his exhales sounded like a cat getting ready to hack up a hairball.
    Deadlifts 1x2 @145. I then pulled something in my back, and went to urgent care. I'm currently taking Ibuprofen, methocarbamol and tramadol to make the pain go away. Sitting hurts, lying down hurts, standing hurts.

I feel really disappointed that I hurt myself, I feel disappointed that I couldn't get 80 up 5x5. That said, I feel like this gives me an opportunity to refocus, deload, and really work on my lower back and core strength. Hoping I'm feeling up to going to the gym this weekend, even if it's just to walk around the track and keep things moving.

When I felt the muscle pull, I had an initial reaction of "oh great, you're injured, you might as well give up." I took a moment, and tried to get into a better frame of mind and realize this doesn't have to affect my diet, and I can do other exercises while this is healing.
  • klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    @melodiclyrics Sorry you injured your back and I hope it heals quickly! Definitely don't give up!! It will heal and you can get back to your lifting. Take it easy though, or it will take longer.

4/8
    StrongLifts 5X5

Squat: 5X5 95lb
    Bench: 5X5 80lb
    Row: 5X5 60lb
  • melodiclyrics
    Options
    @klelk2 I am definitely going to take it easy. I will probably not be doing any squats or deads for a few weeks, if I do any squats they will be very light. I think I'll start focusing on core work, and accessory exercises.

Nice work on your lifts! :)
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh, yipes, sorry to hear that, @melodiclyrics. Take it easy.

I really really focus on neutral spine now, I use to be afraid of deadlifts as it felt so precarious, but then I realised I was curving forward.
  • melodiclyrics
    Options
    @Ariadnula I had my husband as my form checker - he said my form looked okay, but clearly I did something wrong. I look forward to my deload since I know what I'm capable of lifting now, and I can focus more on reps and strengthening the area at more reps at a much lighter weight and really refocus on form.

It will be fine, I'm sure, but it is pretty discouraging.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @melodiclyrics Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear about your back, I feel your pain, literally! I never had back problems until this past October when I did I don't know what to it and now I am also super aware of my form as a result. Take it easy and slow for the time being for sure!

SL's A for me today,

Squat: 45lbs 2x5 & 75lbs 5x5

Bench Press: 65lbs 5x5

Row: 60lbs 3x5

* speaking of backs, I always do my rows as incline chest rows with dumbbells, I thought today, why not try it with a barbell? I had been thinking of trying it anyway, so why not today?

Well, I did not like my form, felt very sloppy and even though my lower back felt ok, I stopped after 3 messy sets. I might keep doing the incline chest rows, but also do a couple sets with an aerobic bar and work my way up until I am happy with my form, have a few days to think about it until my next A day!
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    @melodiclyrics Bummer! Don't do anything that you shouldn't - you certainly don't want to make it a permanent injury! So sorry this happened to you :(

Today I dragged myself from bed to run on the treadmill...it was fine. Tomorrow is SL day.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @melodiclyrics So sorry to hear about your back. That is a scary area to hurt! Take some rest and ice!

@5minty Good for you for trying the rows with the barbell, but also good for you for prioritizing protecting your back. My barbell rows are pretty sloppy too but I think because I'm still weak!

Today I got to the gym for SL workout A (my second time!)

Squat: 5x5 @ 55lbs
    Bench: 5/5/5/5/4 @ 50 lbs (I'm blaming my setup for the failure on this. Instead of being in the bench press rack I was on a random bench with one of the pre-weighted bars. I couldn't set it up and I was so scared I was going to crush myself. Next time I'm just going to wait for the bench press rack to be free. And also use my fractionals for a lighter weight. I was lifting with a new gym buddy and she is in the habit of using these bars/benches, but that isn't for me. However I am thrilled to have a gym buddy!
    Row: 5x5 @ 67.5 (happy to use fractionals on this!) I used the aerobic step things to elevate the bar and it helped a lot. I kept staring at myself in the mirror though--so narcissistic--so have to be better about that to keep my neck neutral

This weekend I'm hoping to get out mountain biking and running and/or road biking. Pretty terrified of the mountain bike ride we're going on. Hopefully I don't die or injure myself so I can get back to SL on Monday.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @melodiclyrics - sorry to hear about your back. You'll come out stronger from this ordeal and learn something about yourself, too. Remember, you're in it to win it. This is a blip along the journey - it'll be a footnote as you share your journey in the future.

Take it easy and be kind to yourself.