Let's get started

Options

Replies

• mummyinthemountains
    mummyinthemountains Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Crackers!

A quick pop in.. I stayed the same today not really surprising all things considered and with Easter next weekend I'm aiming to maintain this week also. On a positive note I am 4 pounds lighter than this time last year and I am only 3.6 pounds from my target weight - however having read today the average child eats 8000 calories worth of chocolate over the Easter weekend I am going to try and be very sensible and indulge but not over indulge!!! Well that's the plan but I'm a chocoholic!!!! One more week and then I return to Austria looking forward to getting back to my routine and walking in the mountains - dragging groceries up the hill with cars roaring past just doesn't do it for me!!!

So pleased to hear you have settled Bracken one less stress. Good luck PB for tomorrow. LMV hope you're not knocking back the champagne and being careful with the cheese board?! BM where are you?

Be good Crackers!
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The good news is I am in no danger of developing osteoporosis. My bone are very good and well above the norm (for my age, of course)
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello Crackers. I feel a bit discombobulated at the moment. The weather isn't helping either. After the lovely week when I was doing so much walking outdoors, it has changed to miserable- cold (as low as -4 daytime again), damp, snow flurries yesterday ,dreary, and tomorrow/Friday expected to be a mixture of freezing rain and rain. As said earlier, at least I have settled the insurance claim. Now I am still engaged with trying to negotiate a vehicle price and seem to have spent a large amount of time, either on the phone, the computer or waiting for return calls/emails. I have narrowed down to the vehicle I want but it is impossible to find one on the lot as I want a fairly straight forward version of the vehicle and they seem to want to make only the ones with all the extra options. The wait for a factory ordered vehicle will be 7-8 weeks. I'll have to rent a vehicle for part of that time but hope to get by at times with taking my brother up on his offer to loan me one of his. That was the plan for today when I had a morning appointment with a auto sales person and a meeting of my writer's group in the after noon. However, last night my sister-in-law phoned to say she unexpectedly needed her vehicle because of attending of funeral visitation for a former colleague. I cancelled the salesperson appointment but then decided to call one of the Writer's group members who had posted and asked if anyone needed a ride. She very kindly said she would pick me up. The group meeting was very enjoyable but once again there was considerable food on offer. Previously I have done well. Not so good this time. MITM, you will probably particularly appreciate this and I really think the largest part of my eating was because I did not want to offend the host. She had laid the large table at which we wrote with 3 separate bowls of nuts, a bowl of Lindt chocolate balls, some Easter egg chocolate candies, and some good sized chocolate chip cookies. She made tea and coffee according to requests. I had not eaten lunch really so thought a cookie and the 5 hazelnuts would be OKish. After the formal part of the meeting was over, however, the host asked who would like a piece of her carrot cake- one of the most decadent carrot cakes I've seen, not only very moist (lots of oil!) but in layers with a cream cheese icing in the middle and iced about an inch thick all over with the rich icing which itself was cloaked in a thick covering of walnuts. The thinnest person there (a very nice woman I'll add) refused a piece because she can't eat corn products or gluten. Another woman who is a little eccentric and somewhat abrasive, said rather loudly and abrasively, "No, not for me." (She had come carrying her own pita bread in a bag.) Two other women who are each a little overweight but still quite trim sat and looked dejected as if they were being asked to eat poison,
    said nothing, but eventually accepted a piece of cake. The other person besides me said she would have a piece. I tried to be pleasant and pleased about having a piece. Why do these situations have to be so fraught? I felt badly for Maria who herself is rather overweight but is a very kind host who went to a lot of effort. She is a lovely person and I really admire her desire to improve her writing as she immigrated from Italy and English is not her first language. She is also clearly someone who has been brought up with making cooking and eating a central part of entertaining. When she volunteered to host this meeting at the previous one, she said since it would be in her home she would happily make lasagna! Everyone told her that was not necessary and that she shouldn't spend her time cooking for us but use it for her writing time. Well Crackers, the saga of my writing group has used a lot of time but not many calories. I'll be wearing that cake for awhile.
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Oh Bracken - I do feel for your host (and you). I also have been brought up that food and drink is part of entertaining and very much the centre of the home - so when people don't eat it it can be very difficult to smile and be gracious about it. And I feel for you as I too would feel compelled to have some when others have refused. On another note - you should consider keeping some of that description in your post as part of your writing as I found it engaging and rather nicely written!

My week at work has been short after a day off on Monday for the dexa scan and the funeral. I met with my boss on Tuesday. She could not resist starting the meeting by saying I must have found the last week rather difficult! I was tempted to respond that as she hadn't been there it was absolutely fine! We had a few difficult moments and she again chose to point out my 'failure' (a typo) as a way of stamping her control. I let her get on with it and didn't rise to the issue. We have my 42 week probation in mid-April and I'm expecting that to be difficult but at least I can prepare for it. Anyway, today is my last day and then I'm off until 4th April. I have to complete a paper for the Executive by close of play today and I know that whatever I do she will find something I've missed (no matter that I have been asked to do a summary from 3 surveys and a scorecard - i.e. a lot of info across 12 courses with course teams already working on action plans (but me having no idea whether they are working on the right things and no ability to work with them ensure that the action plans are up to scratch). Oh well - time to dig deep. I'm stronger and more capable and experienced than she thinks.

Had a lovely evening at church last night. We did a contemplative service in which a friend was asked to walk up the aisle in imitation of Christ storming into the temple and flinging the tables aside. We did a beautiful piece of music (with just 5 people, 2 of whom didn't read music) by Colvin called Surely the Lord (there are recordings on you tube) at the end and I was asked to read a prayer by Mother Teresa. It was very moving. I'm finding this Easter very meaningful generally. Tomorrow night I will be singing in Faure's Requiem and on Sunday we are doing an anthem written a hundred years ago by our organists Grandfather. Its very lush and Edwardian!

Well I must go now and get today over with! Take care Crackers

PB xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Morning Crackers!

Another quick pop in but I just wanted to say how amusing I too found your post Bracken especially the poison line and I agree with PB you should save it for a future writing piece! PB your Easter celebrations sound very serious (as I believe they should be) and moving. In my village it is a huge event far bigger than Christmas and sadly I shall miss it all as we don't fly until Easter Monday. Hope the singing goes well.

Be good Crackers!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    P.S. Thinking further about your carrot cake Bracken, perhaps the answer next time would be to enthusiastically accept a piece so as not to offend the host but declare you can't possibly fit it in now and could you take it with you (serviette ready in your bag) and then give to a neighbour/sister!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Crackers. Thanks PB and MITM for the encouraging words about my description of the carrot cake incident. Now all I need is the inspiration for a complete story of which that would be a scene! PB, you seem to have managed well in your meeting with the boss and probably did the best thing by not rising to her bait. I think there are some people who live for that and the best one can do is to not engage. Your church service sounds very inspiring
    and the music must be so lovely. It must surely have required a lot of dedication from all involved. I must admit that I have not attended services much since my Mother died. At the same time, the Reverend who was a wonderful priest moved to another area. The new Reverend is someone I just can't seem to connect to. Some of my criticism are probably quite trivial; for example, his voice is extremely loud and he uses a funny mixture of formal language and quite extreme slang language that to me undercuts the beauty of what he is reading/saying often.
    MITM, your suggestion about the cake is a good one and ultimately it really is my responsibility to find a solution. I like the idea of accepting enthusiastically a piece to take away..... I've not been as focused recently on solving my eating challenges. However, I expect before next weekend to put an order in for a vehicle as I now have narrowed down to a specific brand and options and am trying to decide between two dealerships.
    Here we missed the worst of the storm that hit the Toronto area where there was an ice storm and about 100,000 homes are still without electricity. We did not get the lower temperatures so we had rain instead, but it was a huge amount, lasting from Wednesday night until this morning. Now it is colder and this morning there was a little bit of snow in the yard. It seems to be making the birds extra hungry and I am filling the feeders regularly. Nellie is bummed out that she can't be out more and has to content herself with barking at the squirrels at the feeders through the window. Of course, the squirrels completely ignore her.
    I hope everyone has a Happy Easter. My youngest sister has invited me to dinner for Easter Sunday.
    Regards.
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hello Crackers - Well its been a rather strange holiday. It started well on Friday with a beautiful day. I drove to my brother's to wish my nephew a happy 21st Birthday then rushed back to do a 4pm rehearsal followed by a devotional performance (interspersed with readings) of Faure's Requiem. I had already had supper (stew and dumplings followed by cheesecake) at Maria's the night before so that we could discuss the trip to York and this evening it was belly of pork followed by Pecan Pie. On Sat I was rehearsing in the morning and standing guard in the church in the afternoon for the bi-annual art exhibition - this was followed by a trip to the pub for a glass of wine. On Sat evening Mum announced that she and Dad would be arriving on Sunday (of course housework was only half done - so I quickly did the remaining ironing). They brought ham and new potatoes with them so we had that with salad (which was good) and cheese cake (which was not). Yesterday I prepared a full roast (lamb) and did rice pudding for afters. In other words - I have been eating and drinking like there is no tomorrow. I won't even mention the easter egg. I'm making chocolate mousse and apple pie for pudding tonight where I face another roast.

Oh dear! One day and then I'm off to York with Zoe. I am so looking forward to this because it will involve a lot of walking and exercise.

Still the singing is over for Easter and all went well - so now I can focus on the Haydn, Parry and Stanford before I focus totally on Iolanthe for the end of April. Oh and somewhere in there I have to face the probation meeting with my boss. Its going to be a difficult month.

well must go now as I need to get showered and dressed and have some breakfast before going into Sax to get some shopping. I may take Mum to the garden centre after that.....

Take care Crackers

PB xx
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

I am back in the country after a fabulous skiing holiday. Blue skies, sunshine and soft snow so we had a terrific time. I was surprised to find that skiing is like riding a bike and after a gap of 13 years I hadn't forgotten how to do it.

I haven't caught up with all the posts yet, so this is a swift drop in to let you know that I weighed in today and have STS. So after a fortnight which included my birthday, a week in France in a fully catered chalet and Easter, I have only gained 1lb. I am delighted and this week's mission is to get that pound off.

Hope everyone is well and enjoyed Easter

xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Morning Crackers!

Well I can't remember an Easter EVER when I lost weight but this year I did! And I did treat myself to some chocolate but after abstaining for Lent the first mouthful of dark I found it rather rich! So I managed to continue being sensible over the weekend keeping to small satisfying amounts. I'm quite sure had it been milk chocolate I could have got back into the habit of guzzling more easily as I soon hoovered up the milk Lindt chocolate mini eggs I came across back home in Austria with ease but fortunately unlike previous years I didn't buy in bulk but in moderation for a complete change! My goodness have I finally hit upon the magic formula?!!

So over-all I'm pleased with myself I have survived my trip away and have returned a pound heavier but when I consider all that I have done; away for a weekend, meeting up with lots of friends and being forced cake, got away with eating a record amount of hot cross buns, an Easter lunch at the sister-in-laws with an early birthday chocolate mud cake throw in and a fair amount of Easter chocolate... I'm happy!

Well done LMV you have done well! I am looking out my window at the moment to blue skies, sunshine and snow on the mountains - I also have a plumber in the house AGAIN as the solar heating is playing up AGAIN! But it's good to be home. BM - are you back in Singapore yet?

Be good Crackers!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening Crackers!

Home, sweet, home.... The daughter is home with me for the Easter holidays which of course means various Aunts and Uncles of hers especially those with a religious connection.... wish to see her. The first with her family arrived the day after we got back (ringing to let us know late in the evening) which I wasn't very happy about (the husband didn't think to consult me first) as the house was an absolute tip and strangely enough we were absolutely exhausted having been up since 3am... Still this Aunt (my sister-in-law) said she would bring a cake she had made with her and just as well as she also invited another two nieces and a nephew to our house... so I was mightily relieved I busted a gut cleaning late into the night... Tomorrow the next Aunt is coming with our young nephew/godson and staying overnight, when she rang the husband and informed us of her plans, she also issued orders our godson would like a cake made! I have 3 weeks worth of ironing piled to the ceiling that still needs doing, I have picked up my Mother's lousy cold she brought home with her from her holiday and I'm in no mood for entertaining - so alas I fear I could be diving into the brownies I've made for the godson TONIGHT! I'm writing my confession now in the hope I will get a grip!

Be good Crackers!
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hello Crackers. I'm pleased to say that, after a very difficult couple of weeks on the food front (some of which is detailed in my last post) and 3 days in York, I have 'only' put on 1lb! Having said that my step counter gave 12000+ on Wed (despite the drive); 17,000 + on Thursday (3 museums and a chocolate tour) and 12000 + yesterday (Fountains Abbey). All in all, a good time was had by all, but lots of chocolate and sweets were eaten. Hilariously, my 13 year old companion had to turn off the tele and lights both nights in the hotel room as I conked out!

In other news, I came home to the sadness that my friends Mum (my goddaughters other grandmother) is close to death in a coma and slipping away - sadly in hospital. I spoke to my friend late last night at the hospital and I'm wondering if I should try and get over there today (shes in hospital in Cambridge) to say goodbye - even if she can't hear me. My friend was very upset (naturally) but I know she will struggle with any sign of affection. Its 40 years since she ran to my house to tell me that her father had been found dead after going fishing (we were both 16). I went to put my arms around her to comfort her and she went as stiff as a board. She is not a demonstrative person - I am. However, I don't quite know how to help. I have a commitment tomorrow and I will be back at work on Monday. I'm already feeling tired and another trip to Cambridge isn't going to help much but I feel I need to make the effort. I have to go into Sax in a little while to get my hair cut and will need to buy some bread too and I have (at some point) to find the time to make a promised chocolate cake.......

Well done MITM and LMV on your achievements. I still have quite a lot of chocolate left at the moment (not helped by my young companion giving me a box of Lindt and a bottle of red as a thank you!). BM I hope your trip has been a good one and that you are safe home. Bracken - I heard a man on the radio calling from the Okanagan Valley yesterday afternoon saying it was 20 degrees there - I do hope that things have warmed up a bit in Ontario too! Also that you have now found a new vehicle.

Must go now - speak soon.

PB xxx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    My Friends Mum died at 8.45am this morning.. As my Goddaughter just said she has left a beautiful day - leaving a trail of sparkles as she goes up to heaven.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    PB - Glad to hear that you have a good trip to York and did very well with only a 1 pound gain but very sorry to hear of your friend's loss. I don't like being hugged or touched but a thoughtfully written card or note would 'touch' me and would be thoughtfully appreciated I'm sure by your friend.

• brackenmh
    Options
    A very quick pop-in as this den is quite cold so I am not even reading the posts! I'll just say that as I look out the den window, it looks like a Christmas card. Trees and bushes covered in snow, the lawn also. Nice if it were December. But today- very depressing!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Bracken - we too have snow forecasted for the end of this week - not impressed either!
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Oh dear - can we all move to the Okanagan? Its perfect anytime of year (imho).
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening Crackers!

Well I'm blaming the cold I caught from my Mother for not being in the zone last week, combined with demanding family house guests and far too much cake - it didn't end well... However this week, is a new start and has been much better. I'm fully fit again and have cleaned the house from top to bottom which immediately makes me feel more positive and in control. I am a control freak of that I am sure!!

I have also ventured out into the garden. So much has grown in my absence although we are far behind compared to the UK. My daffodils are out in abundance and look glorious, I've lots of grape hyacinth and crocuses everywhere such a joy to see some colour and my many tulips are coming along but not yet in bloom. It's all very exciting! After my first short session I felt so unfit, I could feel every muscle like doing a Jillian! Fortunately the following morning no aches and pains. It has been very warm (although snow is forecasted this weekend) I like an unexpected burst of summer as it is a timely reminder of what still needs to be done, if I want to fit back into my summer wardrobe! I spent many hours in the garden again today, eager to get all the weeding done (if there really is to be snow) and I succeeded in clearing all my rockeries and flower beds so like my house, my garden is now in order. The vegetable plot is a different matter but that is my husband's responsibility and as it is fenced off, for me it's a case of out of sight, out of mind! Although the husband has nurtured along the 100 chive plants.

I've also been back at work this week after a 4 week break and that was hard work too! My arms ached from crushing the potatoes - this will not do. However I have a day off as tomorrow is my birthday, so I've baked myself my favourite heavenly, dark chocolate, birthday cake which gets made twice a year. It just needs to be decorated. I am going into town in the morning, to meet for coffee my ex pat friends with my daughter and then my husband is cooking in the evening. I have requested a simple pasta dish no fuss. It would be great if I could just stay the same this week but that could be a rather big ask!

Be good Crackers!
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MITM,

image_zpsibd76duy.jpeg

It sounds like you have a lovely day planned so I hope you completely relax and enjoy it.

Penblwydd hapus i ti

xx

ps which chocolate cake recipe is your favourite?
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    That one looks pretty fab to me. I make chocolate cake a lot but I can't decorate. Just discovered I won 5X£25 on the premium bonds this month. Nice!